CAA Radio – Episode 33 – “Two cans and a stringâ€Â

The anime/manga/forums podcast

CAA Radio – Episode 33 – “Two cans and a stringâ€

Postby Link Antilles » Sun May 08, 2011 6:03 pm

In this show, we talk more about the magicalness of friendship and suffer a few technical hiccups.

You can directly download the show from this link: Right Click and Save As. Or stream the show from here.

Sorry in advance for some of the audio problems in this episde. Something was up with the skype connection during the slow. Nevetheless, in the parts that sound fine, I hope you notice a little bit up a bump in audio quality.

Also, due to poor planning on my part, I didn't get around to dividing the show into parts.
Link Antilles

Postby blkmage » Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Madoka Magica is an amazing show.

The introduction to TWGOK II is a giant Dragon Quest reference, which I was only able to pick up because the Nichijou episode that week had the same joke.

Blue Exorcist spoilers: the clown isn't Satan.

Nichijou has some of the most amazing action sequences.

Bakemonogatari is one of my favourite shows. Episode 12 actually doesn't end the story. The final arc is actually about Tsubasa and Shinobu and their problems aren't resolved until episode 15. In fact, the final arc is the last five episodes, so episode 12 ends in the middle of Tsubasa's arc.

A lot of the appeal of Kimi ni Todoke isn't in the romantic relationship, but in Sawako's growth in her other relationships, like with her classmates and Yano and Chizu. Her relationship with Kazehaya is definitely one of the most frustrating parts of the series.

Star Driver starts out as mecha-Utena, but I think it's able to break out of that by the time the second arc rolls around. Of course, that doesn't mean that there's any less crazy symbolism and it's definitely a very Enokido kind of show. Check out the thread for our wonderful discussions.

I really liked HanaIro's first episode because of the misdirection. I was expecting light hot spring inn shenanigans and dropping the show pretty quickly. I got typical Asian grandmother smacking some reality into a kid. It's got the modern/Western individualism and idealism of Ohana clashing with the grandmother's more traditional/Asian expectations of deferral to authority and doing things correctly. Fun fact: 2ch's nickname for the author is Yamakan, the director of Fractale.
blkmage

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for the clarification on Kimi ni Todoke, Blkmage! I still plan on finishing the series out! ^^ I figured it was more than just romantic growth and all that lol.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby goldenspines » Tue May 10, 2011 9:06 am

Fish: Voice of the people - "Animal abuse is always fun!"

8(

The sound quality was improved aside from the random robotic moments.
Blkmage wrote: Star Driver starts out as mecha-Utena, but I think it's able to break out of that by the time the second arc rolls around. Of course, that doesn't mean that there's any less crazy symbolism and it's definitely a very Enokido kind of show. Check out the thread for our wonderful discussions.
I agree and echo this post.

And, I don't know what all of you are talking about. 60 watt light bulb is the way to go.

-cast Count
Home Improvement cast!
Kitten cast!
Restaurant cast!
Sci-fi cast!

The Let's Watch reminded me of a odd/twisted version of Spirited Away. The premise, at least.

Well, My Little Pony is not anime, but hey... ゆ]Fish laugh track! Now on sale! Buy your copy now before they're all gone![/SIZE]
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue May 10, 2011 3:18 pm

All right, let's get started.

It's hilarious that Fish mentioned me as liking SKET Dance, because while I liked what I saw, I dropped it after three episodes for fear of it become a ridiculously long shonen property and I didn't feel like following it for 100+ episodes. If it turns out to only be one or two cours, I might pick it back up.

Aghhh I need to watch Madoka and Fish you screwed up describing Bakemonogatari because it is a great show and you made them think only episode 12 is great. Also, I need to watch the rest of Star Driver.

Link I'm disappointed that that was all you said about Ano Hana because that's the best show of the season. Also, C is pretty mediocre after a couple episodes.

Nichijou is excellent and you guys totally forgot to mention the awesome chase sequence that puts action anime to shame.

I like the main dude from Steins;Gate just because he's the crazy paranoid guy. If it turns out any of his crazy conspiracies about the Organization are correct I'll be disappointed.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't like HanaIro, which has been my second favorite show for the season. I really liked the first episode, especially, and it definitely drew me in more than any of the other first episodes except AnoHana. I think my biggest complaint is that it turned out that the grandma wasn't a terrible person, which I expected to be revealed but was disappointed nonetheless. I also kind of liked that Ohana wasn't some spoiled rich kid and that her life was already pretty crappy, so it wasn't like every other story involving a spoiled teenager moving somewhere new only to be forced to adjust to not having everything, which is something I'm pretty sick of.

Edit: Sorry to all the podcast members, that was pretty rude what I just had here.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby bigsleepj » Tue May 10, 2011 8:19 pm

This was a very entertaining episode, and laughed out loud several times for various reasons. Maledicte made a good guest as well.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:45 pm

1. Madoka Magica, that is the Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rip off, right?

2. This was an especially hilarious episode for some reason, enjoyed it thoroughly.

3. I would make a My Little Pony joke except that as a longstanding fan of Power Puff Girls I have no right.

4. Hey, Bakemonogatari seems to have a lot of positive things going for it, why didn't I watch that again...... (watches first ten seconds of the series) .... oh yeah, that is why.

Good work people, you made my morning commute a whole lot better.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby blkmage » Mon May 16, 2011 1:08 pm

ich1990 (post: 1479345) wrote:1. Madoka Magica, that is the Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni rip off, right?

Is this some sort of inside joke?
blkmage

Postby Cadence » Mon May 16, 2011 2:47 pm

ich1990 (post: 1479345) wrote:4. Hey, Bakemonogatari seems to have a lot of positive things going for it, why didn't I watch that again...... (watches first ten seconds of the series) .... oh yeah, that is why.
Heh, me too. *high five*

I think that was the first CAA podcast I listened to in its entirety. I quite enjoyed it. Keep up the good work, peeps.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon May 16, 2011 3:07 pm

ich1990 (post: 1479345) wrote:4. Hey, Bakemonogatari seems to have a lot of positive things going for it, why didn't I watch that again...... (watches first ten seconds of the series) .... oh yeah, that is why.
But guys, that's what causes the series to start!
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ich1990 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm

blkmage (post: 1479354) wrote:Is this some sort of inside joke?
No just a little tongue in cheek humor. I heard someone say Higurashi is to harem anime what Madoka is to magical girl anime. Or something like that. Is this true? More importantly, does the series have a point that doesn't take 50+ episodes of torture to get to?

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:But guys, that's what causes the series to start!
And having sex with a demon and then ramming a fist down its throat is what causes Berserk to start. Doesn't make it any less pretty. :)
ich1990

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm

ich1990 (post: 1479377) wrote:More importantly, does the series have a point that doesn't take 50+ episodes of torture to get to?

Madoka is done, at 13 episodes, and it doesn't need more.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm

ich1990 (post: 1479377) wrote:No just a little tongue in cheek humor. I heard someone say Higurashi is to harem anime what Madoka is to magical girl anime. Or something like that. Is this true? More importantly, does the series have a point that doesn't take 50+ episodes of torture to get to?

I'd say the analogy is more along the lines of Evangelion to mecha anime, but that's also partially because I think the idea that Higurashi subverts harem anime is a huge mischaracterization of the series and is based on a misunderstanding of its themes (although a lot of blame lies with some of the adaptation decisions that were made).
blkmage

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon May 16, 2011 6:11 pm

It sounds like Torako made more sene in the manga. The "story" (basically his things to eat bucket list) was more obvious, and the monster kinda had a cool ability that had a small science blurb about the komodo dragon. Course, I only read the first one, I think. That was before I found out the local shonen jump only ran bleach, naruto, and one piece regularly. >.>

@Link: I can see where the Miku thing would've fit. Made for an awsome ending as is though.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Excellent Podcast!

If I could make a request; could you repeat the name of an anime when you're finishing talking about it?

I then to listen to the podcast in the background while reading/posting stuff and once I hear something interesting, start paying attention, and then decide I think what you're talking about sounds cool and I want to look it up; I have to jump around the last few minutes of the two-and-a-half-hour podcast on the little tiny slider to find the one time that someone actually says the name of the show. this is most prevalent it the "what did you watch since the last show" segment.:rant:

I would also like to ask if there are any plans to put the podcast back up on itunes? possibly in a shared channel with the gamecast.

Sorry about the rant.

Keep up the good work!
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby ich1990 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Madoka sounds interesting now. Too bad LoGH sounded even more interesting when it was airing or I might have tried to watch it and stick along with the thread.
ich1990

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts