CAA Radio - Episode 26 - "Meow"

The anime/manga/forums podcast

CAA Radio - Episode 26 - "Meow"

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:17 am

In this show, we have a guest live from a coffee shop, talk about a ton of anime (shock) and save our Fullmetal Alchemist spoilers for a special upcoming show (for realz).

You can directly download the show from this link: Right Click and Save As. Or stream the show from here.
Link Antilles

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Great! I was waiting for the next one to come out. Very nice!
Atria35

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Kitties! :D
I mean....>_>;

Yay, it was nice to hear Jim on the show! Great job. ^_^d

Ooooh, I forgot there was a Black Jack anime. I need to check that out. I always liked the manga. I never really realized how weird Pinoko was, probably because in the manga, other crazy stuff happens before her story, so what happens with her is kind of "normal", I suppose. XD;

I'm also re-listening to the Heroman OP and realizing that maybe I should go back to watching this. Plus, yeah, 4th of July weekend sounds like a good time. XD

Concerning Gin Tama, that's a series I've been following for a while. (I dropped it a while back at vol. 14 though, but I couldn't remember why, so I decided to pick it up again recently). Not sure if the anime is worth the following though. But it's nice to know I'm not the only one who reads the series. XD;

Monster and Pluto are also on my to finish list. I started on Monster oh so long ago (the same with Pluto), but I'll probably need to re-read the stuff I already read.

8D I look forward to the FMA spoiler cast~
goldenspines

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Interesting podcast, though I can't help but feel that it was a little bit short. I'm glad, though, that you enjoyed Black Jack, though I wonder if it was the exact same one I saw. I know that I did not see the first episode you talked about, but it could be a different series that I saw.

Oh, and I finished Gurren Lagann, and the ending was awesome in a really crazy, over-the-top way.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:45 pm

I am with you on the weird ad experiences. That skittles one was fine, until I watched it the sixth or seventh time and noticed that the freaky tree thing was growing out of the kid. I am not exactly sure how that is supposed to make me want to eat more of them... Also, during my marathon of FMA:B that blasted internet explorer ad kept locking up on me, as you guys say. It happened four or five times during the first 60 episodes. Eventually I just muted my computer and read the subtitles when the loop started playing.

Urasawa, Pluto, 20th CB, and Monster! Great conversation piece; those are three of my all time favorite series and written by my favorite mangaka. I can second everything you guys said about Monster. It is a dark thriller that is about as well written and intelligent and dang creepy as one can possibly make something... but it contains quite mature content as well. This is an R rated show, and is not for the squeamish or young. I think the CAA review really understates how intense and brutal it can be at times. If you can handle that, by all means do yourself a favor and watch/read it. The ending, when all of the important characters converge on that small town in the midst of a thunderstorm was so intense that I if I had had a heart attack I would have waited to call 911 until after the series was over just so I wouldn't have been interrupted. Also, Wolfgang Grimmer: the chapters with him are twice as good as all the others.

The only thing I can really knock it for, outside of the content, is the improbable number of headshots. Everybody (mostly) gets shot in the head or shoots someone in the head. Drunk, jittery, sleepy, never held a gun before, hostage situation, it doesn't matter: perfect headshots. Incidentally, there are also an improbable number of characters that survive headshots as well...

Although I personally liked 20th Century Boys better, it is a fairly close call. Pluto is some distance below those two, but is still one of the better things I have ever read. If you want a PG-13 introduction to Urasawa, Pluto is an excellent choice.

Facebook can't be discussed but Berserk can? I am proud of you for sticking up for your principles, Link. It is important to have standards.

Great show, everyone. It was also great to be able to hear a little from the enigmatic Mr. Rogers as well.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby airichan623 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:26 am

Link Antilles (post: 1404891) wrote:) and save our Fullmetal Alchemist spoilers for a special upcoming show (for realz).

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1404931)"]Kitties! :D
I mean....>_>]

[SIZE="5"][color="Red"]REALLY?!?[/color][/SIZE] Cannot WAIT for the FMA[spoiler]cast!!!

Somehow I saw the FMAcast coming... XD Can't wait!

Great Job, guys!
And now I really want to get a cat again....and watch Heroman.

PS. Idea for discussion on FMAcast: Brotherhood vs. original
also compare VAs/seiyuus for both...
compare animation quality...
what you wish they talked about in the ending of the manga...
wishes for a second series?
and... thoughts on FMA being licensed to become a movie in Japan (anime or live-action cant tell)

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby steenajack » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:56 pm

OMGOSH! I love this podcast. Can't wait to hear the next episode. :3!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:04 am

Very very good stuff this episode, though I am surprised that some didn't know about one of Tezuka's seminal works.

Now that Heroman is into the second story arc, it's far more enjoyable (and much less predictable) than the first 9 or so episodes.

Great Eureka 7 music in the middle!

Link: As far as comedy mecha, I'd recommend Nadesico over Dual, provided you have seen copious amounts of sci-fi and/or mecha and sci-fi anime (especially older stuff, though this is not required). The show is really great parody (I haven't seen Haruhi but I'm guessing it's on that level, though Nadesico isn't taking shots at otaku). Mech said it sets "serious" later: this is kind of right but kind of not. The mood/story gets more dramatic/serious but only as a parody of the serious tropes in the kinds of shows that Nadesico is spoofing. So, even though the sweat drops and slapstick might go away, it's still a comedy through and throuhg, rather than simply a show with comedic elements. Just do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from that terrible Nadesico movie. Don't let CrunchyRoll lure you into watching it; it's not representative of the series at all.

Mech: I really want to watch S.A.C. I think I will.

Fish: It's pronounced Patlabor ("lay" rather than "luh") not Patlabor! =) And yeah, its a "real robot" show, as opposed to a "super robot" one (more Gundam than Gurren Lagann, though even Gundam will seem fantastical when compared to PL). I saw the first two movies a while back on the Sci-Fi Channel, and I remember them being quite good, if slowish.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:09 am

That skittles ad gave me some bad dreams!
Oh and I've been watching Gin Tama's anime for quite some time. I'm midway through the 40's in the episode count. Great time-waster.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:28 pm

[quote="TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1408223)"]
Just do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from that terrible Nadesico movie. Don't let CrunchyRoll lure you into watching it]

Agreed on the Nadesco movie. Unfortunately the way they handled the movie is that there is at least one video game between the end of the show and the beginning of the movie, and without that game most of the plot of the movie makes no sense at all. Massive failure on many levels ensues.

S.A.C is totally awesome, and worth a watch.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:48 am

I’ll go on record as discouraging people from looking into Gantz. If you enjoy its brand of scifi violence, maybe try the manga. But the anime is comparable to the anime of Berserk in that it only covers a fraction of the story. Plus, that part of Gantz’s story is less interesting than the first arc of Berserk and it doesn’t tell a complete or coherent story.

The biggest problem with Gantz is the pacing. Not the standard pacing, though that’s slow as well, but the rate at which it reveals new plot information. It took almost 300 chapters of the manga to answer any major questions. Basically all of the reveals along the way turned out to be of minimal importance. A plot summary that doesn't describe the battles would be about a paragraph long.

I can’t even say that it’s been a fun read the entire time. Many chapters at a time will go off on tiresome tangents that turn out to be unimportant or, worst of all, focus on the main character’s meaningless high school crush. Cool new things happen just frequently enough to keep me reading (and the big reveal was well executed, if not actually very informative), but if I had known what it would be like when I was on the other side of 300 chapters, I doubt I would have started.

So for whatever it’s worth, I don’t think any of the adaptations are worth anyone’s time. They’re almost guaranteed to have nothing of what makes the manga good and I don’t think the premise itself is worth it.
uc pseudonym

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Oh, and I'll just quickly say that I think that all the pod-jockeys, not just CK, should watch Rainbow. I think I have listened long enough/talked with some of you so that I have a good idea of your tastes. I'm quite sure that all of you will dig this show.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:34 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1408506) wrote:Oh, and I'll just quickly say that I think that all the pod-jockeys, not just CK, should watch Rainbow. I think I have listened long enough/talked with some of you so that I have a good idea of your tastes. I'm quite sure that all of you will dig this show.

Ah-Greed :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 am

ChristianKitsune (post: 1408565) wrote:Ah-Greed :)
Totes.
---
Fish. I just remembered that in this episode you claimed to be a bit skittish about plunking money down for Princess Tutu. Well, my friend, you can watch the entire show dubbed @ the Anime Network for as much as it costs you to read this message (free!). I think you have to register (not subscribe, so still free), but it only takes a minute.

Hope this was helpful.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:06 am

If you hate registering for things as much as I do, or if you hate The Anime Network's player (which I have heard is awful), it's available on their official Youtube channel as well.

oh right, i guess i should listen to this episode some time
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 am

Oh, great show guys, I'm glad Durarara!! has been redeemed in Fish's eyes. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to say.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 am

I'll try live editing/posting as the episode goes on because I don't want to forget and I just heard SUMMER WARS HELLS YEAH WOOOOOOOOOOOO; also, it takes place in 2010 LOLOLOLOL

GAINAX's name is hilarious because it leads to phrases like "posted by GAINAX" and "I think GAINAX meant"

YEAH, STORYWRITER, SUPERCAR IS PRETTY AWESOME; also I guess they used this song in E7 and I don't remember

Mushi-shi is really great watchitwatchitwatchit

FISH/EVERYONE WATCH KARA NO KYOUKAI RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW

<insert Miura iDOLM@STER joke here>

His mom's face => Cubone
blkmage

Return to CAA Radio and Gamecasts