[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
May 19, 2004 - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

May 19, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

May 19, 2004

Postby shooraijin » Wed May 19, 2004 7:36 am

In Rev. Doc's absence, I will be posting his devotionals (written before he left for his trip) for him from 17-28 May. -- S.

Youth

1 Timothy 4:12
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

In 1403, the city fathers of Florence, Italy decided to add to the Baptistery of St. John. They held a competition among seven artisans to craft two large bronze doors. The winner was Lorenzo Ghiberti, a twenty-year-old trained goldsmith who had never won a commission for his work. The other rivals were more experienced and well known, but the city fathers believed Ghiberti was the right person, in spite of his youth. Ghiberti spent the next 20 years completing the bronze doors. Each door contained 14 quatrefoil-framed scenes from the lives of Christ, the Evangelists, and the church fathers. Installed in 1424, the doors were highly praised. Although the reliefs were mainly Gothic in style, the later ones showed a transitioning toward the Renaissance style.

In 1425, the Florence city fathers commissioned Ghiberti to do a third set of bronze doors in the baptistery at Florence. It took him twenty-seven years to complete this set of doors, each portraying five scenes from the Old Testament. Michelangelo later praised these doors by calling them the "Gates of Paradise." This third set of beautiful doors would never have been made had not the young Ghiberti been given the opportunity to craft the second set of doors.

It can be discouraging when no one will give you a chance to accomplish things for God just because you are young. Remember however, that no matter what your age, you can have a great impact for His Kingdom. Instead of setting an example of defiance, set an example in speech, life, love, faith, and purity of the change that Christ has made in your life.

Prayer: Ask the Father to show you ways which you can minister and make a difference. Pray for a servant's heart.

"If youth is the season of hope, it is often so only in the sense that our elders are hopeful about us . . ." ~George Eliot
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby wiggins » Wed May 19, 2004 9:09 am

How does the quote from Eliot relate?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed May 19, 2004 7:43 pm

>>"If youth is the season of hope, it is often so only in the sense that our elders are hopeful about us . . ." ~George Eliot<<

I read this and this quote struck me. Then, I read what wiggins wrote and thought over what this meant. I think it means that us older folks, of which I'm not an elder, just an older, we see the hope in the younger ones.

It's kind of like how I always enjoy reading something inspiring by wiggins or any of the young people here, and it's just great to see them walking close with the Lord. It is a hopeful sight.

Now, whether or not that's what Eliot meant, or if he was being facetious, I don't know. I only know that I enjoy reading the inspiring stuff by the younger ones here. ^_^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Return to Devotional Readings