Anime you didn't know was anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime you didn't know was anime

Postby randomuser2349 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:17 am

Was there any anime that you grew up with or otherwise watched that you didn't know was an anime until recently? For me, I used to watch In The Beginning a lot on EWTN, and I only recently found out it actually was an anime written by Astro Boy creator Osamu Tezuka. Was there any anime you watched before and had no idea it was an anime until recently?
randomuser2349

Re: Anime you didn't know was anime

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:51 am

When I was allot younger (like, back in 2002), I used to watch Transformers Armada and a little bit of G Gundam, Cyborg 009, Yu Yu Hakusho, Zoids, etc. Back then I didn't even know what anime was, or even that the shows were from Japan; but I did have enough sense to tell that the animation and "look" of these shows was different from He-Man or Justice League, or whatever other cartoon I was watching at the time.

I think I learned the term "anime" around 2005-ish, and since then there's really been no confusion. So, nothing recently.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby IPv4 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:35 pm

I guess pokémon is anime? I remember seeing the movie "steamboy" which was kinda fun. I also saw animatrix when I was younger (that was probably not a good thing). Also it happened that my sibling (male or female - you guess) downloaded some anime that I dont know what name they had.

btw: I think that I knew these were animes :/
IPv4

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:19 pm

I learned what anime was when I was fairly young, so I believe the only animes I watched before I knew what anime was/that they were anime were Superbook, Pokemon, and Hello Kitty & Friends.
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:28 pm

When I was real little, I could tell that certain shows like Superbook and Heidi were somehow different from most animated shows and movies, but I didn't know why until much later. It also took me a reeeeeeeeeeeally long time to realize that Scamper the Penguin is actually anime. It's a bit hard to tell because the movie is mostly just about penguins, so the signature anime style is harder to trace. But once I realized that all the names in the credits were Japanese, everything suddenly made a lot more sense. No wonder the one human character never seemed to have very good lip synch!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby artisticDreamer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Transformers Armada. I rewatched it, like, twice before figuring it out.
artisticDreamer

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:43 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:It also took me a reeeeeeeeeeeally long time to realize that Scamper the Penguin is actually anime. It's a bit hard to tell because the movie is mostly just about penguins, so the signature anime style is harder to trace. But once I realized that all the names in the credits were Japanese, everything suddenly made a lot more sense. No wonder the one human character never seemed to have very good lip synch!

Scamp.... what? Seriously? For some reason I am far more shocked about this than I should be. Granted, I haven't watched that since I was 6. But STILL. That's crazy...
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:03 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:It also took me a reeeeeeeeeeeally long time to realize that Scamper the Penguin is actually anime. It's a bit hard to tell because the movie is mostly just about penguins, so the signature anime style is harder to trace. But once I realized that all the names in the credits were Japanese, everything suddenly made a lot more sense. No wonder the one human character never seemed to have very good lip synch!

Oh, yeah that's right. I think someone told me it was Japanese a couple years ago. I was pretty shocked to find out it was. I don't really remember what the animation looked like. Its been a long time since I watched it last.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby nln_rose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:41 pm

I'd have to say Speed Racer. I was so young that I hadn't seen it in a long time when I found out what anime was. (I also didn't know that there were anime that old). I loved that series as a kid. I'll probably show it to my kids like my dad.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby Hopechick » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:30 am

Totally Spies. I used to be obsessed with that show. -_- Ironically, what I didn't like about it was the art...awkward.
~Hopechick~
***Proud Sponsor of Raxicoricofallapatorius and Associates***

Find rest O my soul in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
Psalm 62:5

**Avatar credit to Hylia -Deviantart-**
Hopechick

Postby Banana Lobster » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:52 am

Pokemon. I used to watch it all the time when I was little, had NO idea that it was anime, or even what anime was.
Banana Lobster

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Hopechick,totally spies isn't anime, at least using the definition of a show made in Japan. It's a French show (though funny enough, the French term for animated cartoon can be "dessin animé").

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Noozles and The Little Koala were anime and I had no clue.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Rose Faerie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:09 pm

This thread just reminded me that My Neighbor Totoro was not my first anime after all. I completely forgot that I had seen this, but there was a Hello Kitty fairy tale show that my sister and I borrowed from a friend. It's a very random buried memory, and I was like four or five, so I wouldn't have known what anime was at the time.

But yeah, at first I didn't know that My Neighbor Totoro was anime. I thought it was just another animated movie.

I don't remember if I knew that Pokemon and Digimon were anime. I didn't know what anime was, though I was aware of its existence in the form of the "big eyed people". I don't think I realized they were anime right off the bat. I thought they were regular cartoons, though they seemed different than Strawberry Shortcake and Phineas and Ferb, or whatever American cartoons I was watching at the time.
Rose Faerie

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews