Who is the creepiest anime character that you've come across?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Who is the creepiest anime character that you've come across?

Postby SuprahKahn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Out of curiousity, I thought I'd ask.

Currently Hisoka from HunterxHunter has me sufficiently spook'd.
SuprahKahn

Re: Who is the creepiest anime character that you've come across?

Postby skreyola » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Depends on what you mean by creepy.
The award for biggest creep goes to that guy from YowaPeda whose mouth goes to his ears. I was annoyed every time he showed up on screen (and he figured largely in my dropping that show).
The award for most horrific creepiness goes to Kyube from Madoka Magica. To explain it would spoil the show, and the show is well worth watching, if you haven't.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby SuprahKahn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Well, I had no specific criteria in mind other than the character left a lasting impression of creepiness on someone.
Yes, I watched that show (Madoka Magica) and I agree.
SuprahKahn

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 am

I would say Papillon from Busou Renkin. I may be scarred for life x.x
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 am

Mad Pierrot from Cowboy Bebop is probably number one for me. Yeah, he is a pretty minor character, but seriously, the way he bounced around, and his teeth...yeah, he was pretty creepy.

Toyohisa Senguuji (I believe that was his name) from Psycho Pass was creepy too.

I'm sure there are others, but those two made the most notable impressions on me.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Vii » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:43 pm

I think Squealer from Shin Sekai Yori deserves a mention.
Vii

Postby Cat96 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:26 pm

I haven't seen that many creepy anime, but I do have two characters that have made a lasting impression on me. Oh, and I'll be watching Madoka Magica soon, so sounds like I'll have another.

Creed from Black Cat is likely the creepiest so far. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: He's seriously messed up. He's not your evil-to-be-evil bad guy. He's definitely your whacko with a god complex bad guy. His English VA seemed to have way to much fun with his character too, because his voice made him sound even creepier. Then you add in his obsession with Train... *shudders*

Also, the titans from Attack on Titan are pretty creepy.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Definitely Shirou Hitsujikai from Ookami-san and Her 7 Companions. He's pretty but that's about all he has going for him. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: He tried to assault Ookami-san when they were in middle school, a fact that he's very happy to gloat about. The way he talks about it makes my skin crawl. He's a sadist and just an all around terrible person.
DaughterOfZion

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 am

Heito from M3. I'm impressed that the anime was inferring charismatic crazy...but nope he's just sadistic crazy.
MightiMidget

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:32 pm

This guy, obviously.

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby skreyola » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:This guy, obviously.

And who is that mystery man?
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Johan Liebert from Monster. Watch or read it and you won't find a better creepy antagonist anywhere else.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby SuprahKahn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Oh lord, Johan...
SuprahKahn

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:52 am

Hmm...maybe...Maria Kurenai from Vampire Knight. She had that whole cute yet creepy thing going on. And...Vincent Nightray from Pandora Hearts could get a little creepy from time to time. And I found Namie Yagiri from Durarara!! a little creepy too. Oh. And let us not forget this guy-

'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby LastLfan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 am

Half the people on log horizon are totally awesome...yet creepy and at times disturbingly so
LastLfan

Postby Sundown » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Kyubey still gives me nightmares.

Although France from Hetalia is a pretty close second...
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby SuprahKahn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Yeah, Kyube's actions and eyes are pretty souless.
SuprahKahn

Postby skreyola » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:29 pm

SuprahKahn wrote:Yeah, Kyube's actions and eyes are pretty souless.

Phikst that for you. :cool:
Anime List
skreyola

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Definitely Kyube. Definitely.
artisticDreamer

Postby Nocturnalux » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:13 pm

skreyola wrote:Depends on what you mean by creepy.
The award for biggest creep goes to that guy from YowaPeda whose mouth goes to his ears. I was annoyed every time he showed up on screen (and he figured largely in my dropping that show).
The award for most horrific creepiness goes to Kyube from Madoka Magica. To explain it would spoil the show, and the show is well worth watching, if you haven't.

I doubt I can change your mind on Midousuji but if you knew his backstory odds are you wouldn't find him half as creepy. The anime does a spetacular job at going indepth into his character. And it may come as a surprise to you but Midou is the most popular character in the whole series. Why to go Midou-kun, you've done me proud.

I tend to like creepy characters a lot, Johan is an all time favorite of mine. If I were to pick one who tops it all in terms of creepiness I 'd go with Claw from Gun X Sword. What makes him so disturbing is that he comes across as a very nice old man who only wants to talk to you. At first his ideals seem so positive that it's very easy to see how he manages to captivate people to his side...and then you realize how utterly insane and psychotic he truly is. To make matters worse he's one of those rare cases in which I can imagine an anime character actually being real. And it's terrifying.
Nocturnalux

Postby Wolfrecker » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:07 pm

I gotta go with Johan too. You just hear so much about him and then you actually see him work and it is utterly terrifying.
Wolfrecker

Postby skreyola » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:13 pm

I'd put Claw pretty close behind Kyube in the horrific category.

And you're probably right about not being able to change my mind on Midousuji. There are some things a character can do in a story that just cross the line for me of being justified by anything I can think of that might have happened in the past. And while I freely admit that I can be wrong about him, his screen time did a lot to sour my enjoyment of the show.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:13 am

Sundown wrote:Although France from Hetalia is a pretty close second...

Haha! I thought someone would mention him or Russia xD France is totally one of my favorites though.
Probably the creepiest I know of is this guy. He's not really the demonic-evil-scary kind of creepy, but he is... just... creepy...
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby Nocturnalux » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:07 pm

skreyola wrote:I'd put Claw pretty close behind Kyube in the horrific category.

And you're probably right about not being able to change my mind on Midousuji. There are some things a character can do in a story that just cross the line for me of being justified by anything I can think of that might have happened in the past. And while I freely admit that I can be wrong about him, his screen time did a lot to sour my enjoyment of the show.

I won't call what Midousuji did to Imaizumi at all justified but his backstory explains how he became what he is. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Midou became so good at biking because he had to ride his bike over a mountain to visit hospital where his mother was being treated. Because of his gangly body, complete lack of motor coordination and overall weirdness he was heavily bullied as a kid. His mother praised him when he started entering biking competitions and winning...and then she died. Midou never came to accept what had happened and clung to the one thing he did have which was riding a bike.
You know how he keeps going on about how everyone and everything is disguting? That's what he called every single day of life until he decided that stepping on others was better than being stepped on.

And I highly recommend Yowapeda. Not because of Midou either, the anime does a great job at actually developing virtually every character. The last episode brought me to tears and I can't even ride a bike.
Nocturnalux

Postby Rose Faerie » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:18 pm

Hmm... the Mannequin soldiers from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood almost made me drop the show, they were that creepy.

And Hunter x Hunter has a lot of creepy characters. Hisoka is definitely creepy and weird. The entire concept of chimera ants is unsettling, though the ant with the creepiest personality is Pitou. Most of the ants have really unsettling designs, though the spider guy and Cheetuh definitely win, though Pitou's knees bother me (not on the same level Cheetuh's do; knees shouldn't work like that). Palm is also kinda weird.

Isabella and Krone from the Promised Neverland are also really creepy. I can understand their actions, but that doesn't change that they're pretty messed up.
Rose Faerie

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews