Dubs vs. Subs

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Dubs vs. Subs

Postby nln_rose » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Okay so here's the deal I know a lot of people out there really don't think you can call yourself an anime fan if you don't watch the subs. Others love dubs. Personally I find that the dubs are often much more easy for me to watch especially since i'm a multitasker who will often be drawing or typing while watching an anime. (like no i'm watching cowboy bebop for the first time.) I also find that watching a dub is so much more natrual and as such i often find myself more engaged in the story itself. I'm perfectly content with subs, but when I start a series dubbed i usually want to keep it that way or vice versa. This is not a forum to say that one side or the other is stupid or not valid. I want you to say what you prefer and why.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Re: Dubs vs. Subs

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:54 am

For better or worse, I'm gonna watch anime dubbed over subbed any day. Most of the time when I'm watching anything (anime or not), I'm doing other things at the same time--school work, drawing, heck even cleaning my room. When you're watching subbed, its impossible to do anything but pay close attention to what your watching; unless you're just watching it solely for the visual aspect and don't care much about the plot, characters, etc.

I'm currently watching Blast of Tempest. Its the first anime I've watched subbed (only because there is no English dub). So far I enjoy it and, yes, the voice acting is pretty good, but still, I would switch over to a dubbed version without a second thought; because it's difficult to find time to watch it. That being said, I've been looking into allot more anime that isn't getting dubbed lately. A good deal of the shows that got dubs these past couple years just don't appeal to me.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:04 am

Since I'm trying to learn the Japanese language, I find myself farther and farther distanced from dubbed anime and even subtitles if I'm in a situation to turn them off. I enjoy any dub that is done well, with talented voice actors and actresses, a good director, and a faithful-to-the-original script (and I make exceptions for things like Digimon and Pokemon). But I usually feel that even if I enjoy what I'm watching, be it the excellent One Piece Funimation dub or the cheesy Pokemon dub, that in some way I'm wasting my time. I could just as easily watch with the original audio to review grammar, vocabulary, and on-screen kanji/kana and even learn new things here and there. Many things that don't get discussed at all in my current Japanese 101 class (which I might not have taken if Japanese II had been availble) or even in most books are easy to pick up in anime. I watch everything I own in both formats when available, but I usually put the dub off for as long as possible in favor of more Japanese exposure. I watch dubs a lot less frequently than before.

In fact, I haven't watched the dub for half the things in my collection here, including the Fairy Tail dub... I'll get to them eventually. ;)

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Personally, I like both. Some shows that I've seen I prefer the dub over the sub (like Fruits Basket), for some I like the sub over the dub (like Kids on the Slope), and others I like both (like Durarara!!). It usually just depends on the show and how easy/hard it is for me to get into it with whichever one I chose (sub or dub). I like subs for learning Japanese and the voices can sound really good and the voice acting be amazing but I'll chose a good dub most of the time if I can find one (usually ones by FUNI). But of course, it can be hard to find really good dubs. lol.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:10 am

In the vast majority of cases, I prefer subs to dubs. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Also, lately I've been watching a lot of shows on Crunchyroll, so that's pretty much going to mean subs.
Mithrandir

Postby Sheenar » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 am

Since I have to have subtitles/captions with either (hearing loss), it doesn't really matter to me. I enjoy watching both. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby LastLfan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:07 pm

It all depends. Blue exorcist for instance i couldn't get into the sub but I LOVE the dub. So it all depends on the show. I've been watching a lot of crunchyroll and gotten good at multitasking and still understanding the plot but Magi I've been totally focused on it. I've gotten to a point where after hundreds of episodes it just seems natural to read subs
LastLfan

Postby Cat96 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:20 pm

For me, it all depends on if there even is a dub in the first place and if the dub is good or not. Typically, I like the dub more if I watch it first, but those shows that I've seen dubbed are known to have great dubs, like FMA for example. Half the anime I watch doesn't have a dub, so I watch the sub. Most cases, I like the subbed better because the voices are better suited for the character and it flows better in most cases. Learning a little Japanese is an added bonus of watching subbed a lot.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Generally, I prefer watching subs because the acting is usually better or at least the voices tend to fit the visuals better. Also, some anime just work so much better if the language they're speaking is Japanese. If the anime is set in Japan, it just seems weird to hear them all speaking English and mangling the pronunciation of all those Japanese names, like in Durarara!! or Ouran High School Host Club, for example.

Then there are some dubs that are really exceptional, and are just as good as the original. Examples would include FMA: Brotherhood (the first series was more hit-and-miss), Haibane Renmei, and Wolf's Rain. In those cases, I love watching through the show in either language, but generally gravitate towards the dub because lines are always more powerful in your mother tongue. (I cried in both versions of the end of Wolf's Rain, but it was the dub that made me sob aloud even though it was my second time through and I knew exactly what was coming.)

Once in a very long while, I'll come across a dub that I actually prefer to the sub. This is extremely rare, because it really is hard to get different actors to sound like they fit completely when they have to match the timing of a completely different actor. The only dubs I can think of that I prefer to the subs are all Studio Ghibli movies (somehow they just seem better at conveying emotion in the dubs), D.Gray-man (mostly because Todd Haberkorn blasts Sanae Kobayashi out of the water 100% in so many areas), and Baccano! (I have yet to watch the entire show in the sub version, but it just feels right in the dub where they can put in all the correct accents and things).
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:08 pm

For the record, if you don't really get the difference in voice acting, try watching all of K-On subtitled, then go back and try to watch the few episodes with the official English dubs. :lol:
Mithrandir

Postby Zeke365 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:14 am

well for a long time I only watched dub and I will watch a dub if there is one out but you will find that there are fewer dubbed anime and will end up watching subtitled anime (least this is what happened to me). So you will pick up a few Japanese words based on the sub but when a dubbed comes out after watching the subbed you may be shocked at how different they sound. Though this subbed or dubbed is an your preference but subbed is with the original voice actors and dubbed is an English over shadowing it to make it more understandable to the English language.
Take example Ben 10 is American cartoon then the Japanese people find actor to either match the personally or to get them to sound just right to make it it suitable to the Japanese audience same with dubbed not saying there not good dubbed but this sort of example of how it works.
Another I noticed is actually the Japanese actors in subbed are much in higher pitch in the English language not sure why but if you match up close enough they are. In my game Tomachi life I Miku adjusted to match her Japanese voice and you be surprised that it higher then low tone than than original miku voice
Hope this helps.
Zeke365

Postby nln_rose » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 am

Zeke365 wrote:well for a long time I only watched dub and I will watch a dub if there is one out but you will find that there are fewer dubbed anime and will end up watching subtitled anime (least this is what happened to me). So you will pick up a few Japanese words based on the sub but when a dubbed comes out after watching the subbed you may be shocked at how different they sound. Though this subbed or dubbed is an your preference but subbed is with the original voice actors and dubbed is an English over shadowing it to make it more understandable to the English language.
Take example Ben 10 is American cartoon then the Japanese people find actor to either match the personally or to get them to sound just right to make it it suitable to the Japanese audience same with dubbed not saying there not good dubbed but this sort of example of how it works.
Another I noticed is actually the Japanese actors in subbed are much in higher pitch in the English language not sure why but if you match up close enough they are. In my game Tomachi life I Miku adjusted to match her Japanese voice and you be surprised that it higher then low tone than than original miku voice
Hope this helps.

Hmm yeah i get what you're saying. I watched Toradora! subbed and i couldn't stand the dub. The voices were so different i couldn't reconcile them to the characters that I'd come to love. The one time I've ever had the problem of hating a dub off the bat though was when i was browsing Funimation's website and found an anime called comic party the dub character had this incredibly annoying nasal voice. (then again i never got passed episode 2 in the subbed either just not that interesting)
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby TsubasaKamen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:29 pm

I originally started watching Anime in the English Dub, mostly what I watched on Television during the 90's. I had no idea at that time that anime could even be watched in Japanese audio because I was never introduced to the idea of Subtitles. Nowadays I prefer Sub anime, and I am no Multitasker (Excuse me for being a guy :P) so I have to give anime my most undivided attention when watching it. I find I absorb information better when I'm reading it than I do when I'm just listening to the audio in English. I can watch anime in both English Dub and Japanese Dub but it depends on the anime and what format I am in the mood for. I am re-watching all of the Classic Sailor Moon at the moment and decided to go with Japanese Dub because I like the voices a lot better... if anyone has heard Usagi's voice changeover beginning in Sailor Moon S you would see why I went with Japanese X) I am enjoying Sailor Moon Crystal and SAO 2 in Japanese as well but when Sailor Moon Classic releases on Combo Box Set I will only be too glad to watch through it in English because of the new Voice Changeovers that sound pretty awesome from what I've heard. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPMh2ZZOCzI Just listening to it makes me laugh, but because I like it, not because I'm making fun of it!
"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 3:18.
TsubasaKamen

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:32 pm

TsubasaKamen wrote: I am re-watching all of the Classic Sailor Moon at the moment and decided to go with Japanese Dub because I like the voices a lot better... if anyone has heard Usagi's voice changeover beginning in Sailor Moon S you would see why I went with Japanese X) I am enjoying Sailor Moon Crystal and SAO 2 in Japanese as well but when Sailor Moon Classic releases on Combo Box Set I will only be too glad to watch through it in English because of the new Voice Changeovers that sound pretty awesome from what I've heard. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPMh2ZZOCzI Just listening to it makes me laugh, but because I like it, not because I'm making fun of it!

Yay! I'm currently watching Sailor Moon subbed on Hulu and I'm really looking forward to this new dub! I never heard the old one but this one just sounds awesome.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Kilvakar » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:10 pm

I usually prefer dubs, as I just find it a lot more interesting to watch a show I like in a language I actually understand. I'm a fan of shows I like, I don't just watch them because they're anime so I'm not concerned about the fact that the original language is Japanese.

Most of the arguments in favor of subs are usually based on the fact that the English voices are different from the Japanese version you've already grown used to, which I totally understand. I guess that's why I prefer to watch the English version first, then those voices (great voice acting or otherwise) are the ones I associate with the characters.

Of course, if there's no dub available, that's not going to stop me from enjoying a good series while reading the subtitles :D
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TsubasaKamen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 pm

PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:
TsubasaKamen wrote: I am re-watching all of the Classic Sailor Moon at the moment and decided to go with Japanese Dub because I like the voices a lot better... if anyone has heard Usagi's voice changeover beginning in Sailor Moon S you would see why I went with Japanese X) I am enjoying Sailor Moon Crystal and SAO 2 in Japanese as well but when Sailor Moon Classic releases on Combo Box Set I will only be too glad to watch through it in English because of the new Voice Changeovers that sound pretty awesome from what I've heard. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPMh2ZZOCzI Just listening to it makes me laugh, but because I like it, not because I'm making fun of it!

Yay! I'm currently watching Sailor Moon subbed on Hulu and I'm really looking forward to this new dub! I never heard the old one but this one just sounds awesome.

I was going to watch the Remastered Sailor Moon (The first 4 episodes) on night Viz Media put on Moonlight Party! but when I found out the streaming was only provided on Hulu I was a little disappointed because streaming on Hulu is not provided to Canadian viewers unfortunately. :( I will probably have to wait until November before I'm able to start watching it. :)
"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 3:18.
TsubasaKamen

Postby Anisha93 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Hmmm.....I prefer subs...as theoriginal essence of the anime can be better felt with japanese language. like in gakkou no kaidan....its dubbed version is way surreal and not to mention, kills the horror....so I am all for subs
"God works in strange ways. Sometimes you don't like it but hey! it works out in the end."

"There is no only one emotion in the world. If it is futile to say there is no hope it is equally futile to say there only despire.-" Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Anisha93

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:17 am

I can watch both. I mostly watch shows with CC on anyway. The only thing that annoys me is, when dubs don't have CC. This is mostly shows that are on Netflix and Hulu that are dub only.
Roy Mustang

Postby nln_rose » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:46 am

nln_rose wrote:Hmm yeah i get what you're saying. I watched Toradora! subbed and i couldn't stand the dub. The voices were so different i couldn't reconcile them to the characters that I'd come to love. The one time I've ever had the problem of hating a dub off the bat though was when i was browsing Funimation's website and found an anime called comic party the dub character had this incredibly annoying nasal voice. (then again i never got passed episode 2 in the subbed either just not that interesting)

I COMPLETELY AGREE I had the EXACT same thing happen. It was an interesting concept, and the first episode was kinda interesting, but that one character made me hate the dub and the second episode was just bland. The Toradora dub also was just way to weird (most of the time the voices have similar tones, but toradora they're complete opposites)
nln_rose

Postby Scatcatpdx » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Dubs first for me. There are exceptions to my rule i.e simulcast but for the most part I ma interested in the story rather than how a character sounds like. Second become some idiosyncrasies of the Japanese language and limited character cond on the dub line, something gets lost in the translation.
Scatcatpdx

Postby FourFourSeven » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Subs all the way for me, but with few exceptions (like "Cowboy Bebop").
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby Sundown » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:20 am

I'll watch whichever one doesn't grate on my nerves.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby SuprahKahn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Generally, I tend to enjoy dubs more because it allows me to fully take in the animation without having to pause here and there. But really, there are some shows that sound better in Japanese, and those that sound better in English. I usually just sample the first episode subbed and dubbed and see which one I prefer.
SuprahKahn

Postby swirusek » Tue May 12, 2015 2:04 pm

Only subs. Dubbing destroy fun from watching anime
swirusek

Postby Rose Faerie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am

I like dubs better, just because it's easier for me. I can do other stuff, plus it keeps me from randomly zoning out if my siblings are being distracting. I also tend to multitask. If there is a dub available, I'll take it, but I'm not against subs.

I've only seen one anime subbed most of the way through, and that was Kaguya-sama: Love is War. I only had access to the first two episodes dubbed, and I actually liked the sub better. I liked the show, just found the narrator extremely annoying in the dub, and it was easy to forget about him in the sub.
Rose Faerie

Postby Rose Faerie » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:39 pm

Okay, so my opinion has changed a bit since I last posted here. (It's been a year! I can't believe I've been on CAA that long!)

I will generally try to watch a dub if it's available since I get fidgety when I watch TV and I have to do something else at the same time. (I can do things while watching subs, but it's easier with dubs.) However, if the voice acting feels flat or annoying I'll switch over. For instance, I could not stand the voices in Seraph of the End and Orange. (I did watch the entirety of Orange dubbed, but mainly because my sister was in the room, providing commentary.) Sometimes I'll just hear the sub first and like their Japanese voices better (The Case Study of Vanitas). I have never really had any problems with Japanese voice acting, probably because I can't tell whether the acting is good or bad. :)

If I'm watching something with my sister, we have to do dubs, no matter how awful the voice acting is. She can't keep up with the subtitles and has a hard time reading in general. So, it really depends on the circumstances.
Rose Faerie

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews