poe

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

poe

Postby fairyprincess90 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:50 pm

how many of you people like poe's work... some of his work i like... alot of it is wierd though. but i read about his life's story and i thought it was tragic... so i think his life is the main reason that his work is so ... well, strange and gory... but i like some of his work.... like his poem a dream within a dream.

[color="Magenta"]www.bethmarie.org[/color]

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]My ♥ belongs to TimothyMichael[/SIZE][/color]
fairyprincess90

Postby Linksquest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:20 pm

I really like his stuff (when I'm in the right mood, hehe.)

I really like The Tell Tale Heart, A lot.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Debitt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Poe is up there as one of my favorite authors of all time. His work is fascinating, psychological and somewhat supernatural at the same time, and really intrigues the more morbid side of my personality. :lol:

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby TallasLint » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:55 pm

I loved the Raven, Anabelle Lee, and El Dorado. Yea. His poems are awesome, although I'm not as fond of his love poems than just his random poems.
Lint.
TallasLint

Postby kryptech » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Agreed. His work is very gripping.

I particularily like "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Pit and the Pendulum". I love the sense of mystery and building climax in some of his writings. They have been quite an inspiration to me.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:09 pm

For the most part I do enjoy Poe's work, though far more so his stories than his poetry. Different ones strike me in different ways. I definitely honor him as a pioneer in literature.
uc pseudonym

Postby termyt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:05 pm

"Like" doesn't really describe my feelings toward Poe.

"Gripping" is a good start. His work definitely invokes a response in me and I have enjoyed reading some of his works. He's a master writer. Brilliant at his craft.

Cask of the Amontillado. Gripping. Terrifying.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Sai » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:19 pm

I like some of Poe's stuff like Pit and Pendulum, that one with the guy in the casket with salt or whatever (cant think of title), and Murder in Rue Morge/ Morgue.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:27 pm

The cask was weird. Really cool, but weird. Masque of the Red Death was an interesting take on society - one that I've not completely discarded.

I really liked the Purloined Letter, though. (Sometimes called the first American mystery novel). It was certainly, uh, captivating. :D
Mithrandir

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:56 am

Poe invented the modern detective story.
mitsuki lover

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:22 pm

I myself love Poe's work....but I wouldn't say he invented the modern dectective story... I believe I would associate that title with Sir Author Conan Doyle....but he did bring in the style of poetry that was considered "dark"...I have read all of his work, and love it....my favorite being the House of Usher.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Meow Chan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:27 pm

Poe is one of my favorite authors
Romans 12:2"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

Adopted by:
Chibiphonebooth

True LOVE waits

Uspoken is one of the best bands in existance!
:rock:
:eh:
:lickbash:

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
Meow Chan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:23 pm

I've always found Poe's works to be intriguing, at the very least. I enjoyed such works as "The Raven," "The Masque of the Red Death," "The Pit and the Pendulum," and "The Tell-Tale Heart." His works are well written, and, as Termyt said, gripping. I wouldn't say he's my favorite, though. I enjoyed Ambrose Bierce's "An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge" more than "Masque of the Red Death," and there are other authors that I enjoy more. His works are very interesting to read, though.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Phantom_Sorano wrote:I myself love Poe's work....but I wouldn't say he invented the modern dectective story... I believe I would associate that title with Sir Author Conan Doyle.

Well, Poe died ten years before Doyle was born (Thanks, Wikipedia!), and many literary scholars do indeed call him the father of the modern detective story. I'm afraid I was too busy typing earlier and didn't really read what I wrote. :) I'll leave it there for posterity, though.
Mithrandir

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:58 am

Phantom_Sorano wrote:I myself love Poe's work....but I wouldn't say he invented the modern dectective story... I believe I would associate that title with Sir Author Conan Doyle....but he did bring in the style of poetry that was considered "dark"...I have read all of his work, and love it....my favorite being the House of Usher.
This would make no sense however, of the way the first Sherlock Holmes novel has Holmes arguing that he is so much cooler and more effective than the other literary detectives.
GhostontheNet

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:36 pm

btw:When we're talking about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle remember his full last name was Conan Doyle and not just Doyle.People often make that mistake.
mitsuki lover

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:42 pm

Forgive me, it has been awhile since I have been reading my classics, but I have to know....-_-;
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:42 pm

(now)
Phantom_Sorano

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:24 pm

I love Edgar Allan Poe! I've read a lot of stuff by him and about him. See...this may sound weird but...uh...when I was twelve I had a huge crush on him. Seriously! XD I mean...he's kinda...good-lookin' OKAY?!! Sheesh.

But on a literary note I like his poems...Annabelle Lee, Lenore, The Raven. His stories are good too but I never found them all that scary. Telltale Heart, Cask of Amantilado, Pit and the Pendulum...I've read A LOT of 'em.
USSRGirl

Postby Sai » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:38 pm

USSRgirl wrote:See...this may sound weird but...uh...when I was twelve I had a huge crush on him. Seriously! XD I mean...he's kinda...good-lookin' OKAY?!! Sheesh.
Thats kind of funny.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:00 pm

I always found Poe to be a bit creepy myself although I do enjoy some of his work.
Personally I tend more toward Ralph Waldo Emerson when it comes to that particuliar time in American Literature.
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner