Least-favorite books ever!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Namelessknight » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:47 pm

Oh, and most of Heinlein's adult fiction. Nothing but immorality and christian bashing. Makes for a real good read, ne?
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Rocketshipper » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:48 pm

top 5 worst books ever...

5. The Pigman
4. The Great Gasby
3. Farenheit 451
2. April Morning
1. Johnny Tremain

They are all assigned school books too. Figures.

I like the Left Behind series. Content wise, what was bad about their theology?? Is there a topi anywhere on these forums about them?
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby kazekami » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:16 pm

Namelessknight wrote:Oh, and most of Heinlein's adult fiction. Nothing but immorality and christian bashing. Makes for a real good read, ne?

OH YES YOU ARE SO RIGHT!! I hated Stranger in a Strange Land. That was a terrible book.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:19 pm

Most of Isaac Asimov's short stories I found boring, but they had some good ideas behind them.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Rachel » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:50 pm

The Great Gatsby- It was dumb and didn't make much sense.

The War in Heaven by Theodore Beale- This book jumps around so much that it's hard to understand. There was also some pretty whacked out theology in it. Like it said that Eve wasn't the first woman and some other crap.

Of Mice and Men- I read this in about the 7th grade and I absolutely hated it. The language is terrible, the plot line is ridiculous, and after I finished reading it, I felt like I had wasted 2 hours of my life.

Offsides(I can't remember who wrote it)- The picture of someone kicking a soccer ball on the front cover attracted me to this book. It was all a lie. It was about some American Indian kid who didn't want to play for his highschool soccer team because their name was the Warriors and their masacot was an Indian. I really hate it when people are dumb and make an issue of race, plus the plot and writing of this book were horrendous. Complete and utter crap.

My Antonia by Willa Cather- It was written well but was just plain boring.

Farenheit 451- The writing in this book was terrible and the conclusion was just stupid, like he couldn't think of a good way to end it.

I gotta agree with Puguni. The New Rules of High School was a terrible book. There are some more books that I really didn't like but I can't think of them right now so I'll post those later.
EDIT: War of the Worlds- This book was ridiculous. The writing was crap.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Puguni » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:09 pm

:O It kind of makes it worse when you own a book that is bad. Like...A Fine White Dust. It's a really short read and for children. But when I read it when it was a child, it confused me. :| It kind of gave me mixed messages about Christianity.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby JoyfullShadow » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:26 am

U know what books are really bad- Pride and Predjudece and Robinson Crusoe
Arîdkha-
A.K.A. Snicket

P.S. I learned all my dance moves from Josh & Jon :rock:
xanga- http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=blackKat013

" ...there's a love that could fall down like rain, let forgiveness wash away the pain. And no one knows what they are searching for this world is crying out for so much more..."
JoyfullShadow

Postby Alice » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:28 pm

Oh, I liked Pride and Prejudice. The best and only Jane Austen book I've read!

I don't know if it's my most hated book, but I really was mad after reading "Soothsayer," by Mike Resnick.

Such a stupid ending! Author didn't play fair, IMO. *spits on memory of book*
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:22 pm

Philippa Gregory's Wideacre Trilogy. Without question. I really disliked it.
Jasdero

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:00 pm

I REALLY dislike Gone with the Wind <---horrible book! don't EVER read!
I have such bad feelings about this book. It made me almost depressed for a little bit afterwards, and for the longest time I thought about having a HUGE bonfire with all of the Gone with the Wind books in it... lol it still isn't such a bad idea.

The only other book that I actually really disliked was this one called Miss Read Leaves Fairville (dunno if I got the town name right). That had to be one of the most boring books ever, it gave me a headache trying to read it and I couldn't even make myself finish it. I think that's the only book I've ever not finished reading.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:02 pm

JoyfullShadow wrote:U know what books are really bad- Pride and Predjudece and Robinson Crusoe

I really liked Pride and Prejudice when we read it in school and I think I must have read Robinson Crusoe about 20 times.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Yumie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:02 am

Acknowledging in advance that I am primarily alone in my principles about what qualifies a book as worthless. . .

Take pretty much any Dee Henderson book you can think of and it is my least favorite. I do not dislike any one of her books more than another. They're all lousy.
Yumie

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:39 pm

Ernest Hemingway's book about that stupid fish and the old man... what was it called?? I had to read it for school and HATED it *shudder* Old man and the Sea... that was it I think. XP
Kawaiikneko

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:58 am

Yumie wrote:Acknowledging in advance that I am primarily alone in my principles about what qualifies a book as worthless. . .

Take pretty much any Dee Henderson book you can think of and it is my least favorite. I do not dislike any one of her books more than another. They're all lousy.

You don't like Dee Henderson's books?!?! :wow!: She has to be one of my favorite authors, up there with Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker, Mary Stewart, and Kristen Heitzmann (yah, I know, I have a lot of favorite authors lol). Why don't you like her books?
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:48 pm

The God Particle... Yeah, the guy's an atheist. So what. That doesn't mean he has to devote that much of his book to making fun of Christians and Deists... I can handle reading a scientific book written by an atheist. He doesn't need to MOCK what I believe as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Espoir » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:05 am

^^ amen to that! and they say we are preachy, geez. :roll:

Um, Thinner, by Steven King. Kept thinking it would "click", but it was wierd, too fast in some and totaly boring in others. Waste of time.
To live with quiet discipline, a life defined by truth and honor.

We will extend grace and mercy as often as it is extended to us by God our father.

Faith will champion our spirit more than fear.
--Family moto
Espoir

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:13 am

Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

LAME.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby heero yuy 95 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:21 am

I had to read Great Expectations in 9th grade. It was Horrible! It is just 550 pages of random crap happening that doesn'y make sense. And the main cahracter turns out to be some rich punk who's in live with some really mean chick, just because he thinks she's hot! What a shallow moron! When I finally finished reading this book, I asked my mom if I could throw in our mulcher. to my dismay, she said "no".
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:48 pm

Hey, I liked Great Expectations. And A Tale of Two Cities. But I have to agree that Hemmingway's "Old man and the Sea" is just boring.
bigsleepj

Postby Lehn » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:09 pm

Tale of Two Cities is one of my all time favorites....

Personally, I cannot stand to read books that are written in a journal format. It makes me feel dirty, and disconnected from the characters.
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:03 pm

Although I'm a Stephen Lawhead fan, I really didn't care for Byzantium. It seemed to start off so good and then it just ... I don't know. When I finished, I was really depressed.

Just a note about the classics: Books that you're forced to read my seem very tedious at the time, but if you read them later, they're really quite good. Classics are classics for a reason.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby IZ&Trigun4life » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:16 pm

The chocolate war was stupid. It had a lot of bad language and it was too male oriented for me.
Image "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not."-Jeremiah 33:3
Yes I love my God, He is the fountain of life and my savior. He keeps me going day and night, without Him, I am no one, But with Him I can do everything, Christ is my strength

Adopted By:
Silvanis
Sakura's Wings
Tidus20

Adopted Neko Brother: Jaden Mental

*is still waiting for more offers lol*

Christians are not narrow minded. We are moral minded!

"My Heart Is Beeping....For The INVISIBLE CHILDREN"
IZ&Trigun4life

Postby TurkishMonky » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:02 am

Hmm, probably SW: The Bounty Hunter wars by KW Jetter.
I liked it when i read it at first when i was 10, but now that i've read it again, the book crawls through every other chapter with masses of imperial palace dialouge that is inflated and roughly put together. The Boba Fett part of it is ok, but dialouge of someone sucking up to someone else should not be the majority of any book.

Most, but not all classics are good. Some are just there because there was nothing better from that decade.
TurkishMonky

Postby Todeskreuz » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:14 am

Great Expectations...had to read it for school and I hated it....also Wuthering Heights...another book I absolutely cannot stand...Also Children of the Storm by Elizabeth Peters another book I had to read for school....the plot didn't know what it wanted to be and the characters were so shallow
"I cried out with no reply and I can't feel you by my side so I hold tight to what I know...your here...and I'm never alone"

"In the moon want to sleep want to sleep with the silence you heal me again, through the long and trying day you save me...in the moon I’m just veiled in the silver shining"

"Forever Love, Forever Dream, I can't walk any further, Oh tell me why, Oh tell me true, Teach me the meaning of life"

"Never change... that's what a fool would say in his dreams at the moment when you're facing the end of everything"

Adopted by: LeaChan-4ever

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Todeskreuz

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:49 am

The World according to Garp by John Irving. Nasty book.
bigsleepj

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:58 pm

I didn't see these mentioned which must mean that all of you were spared reading them. Lucky you. -_-

The Little Prince *stabs book* OMGosh I didn't not know that a fiction story could be so boring until I read this book. I don't care if the picture is a snake or a hat. Oh and I have also had the joy of having to suffer though part of the "musical" movie based on this book.

The Prince Is another not so fond one of mine. It would have been better if it was about 1/2 as short.

When the Legends Die This book was just plain boring. ... as well as stupid.

The Red Pony Well I usually hate most books about horses as a rule since they are so unaccurrate, but Steinbeck's books is particularly bad. And then ending is is dumb.

My Friend Flicka Ok I didn't actually finish this. I read about 1 chapter and then threw it across the room. Any author who honestly thinks a saddle pad for a horse could come out (without the rider knowing) and get stuck on barbed wire (that just happens to be there) while the rider just goes on without seeing has no business writing about horses.

Equus Ack! Another horse story. Well actually this is a play but my teacher made us read it. It's dumb, pointless, and has animal cruelty. How could I not like it? (/ends sarcasm)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby livewire » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:54 pm

The most horrible boo I have ever had the DISPLEASURE of being assigned to read was Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead I detested it so much that I couldn't even read the entire thing. I thought it was immoral...certain aspects of it....
It is funny, because I have to say that I have NEVER completed a book I didn't like. When I can't find something to enjoy in a book it lies unread...If I try to read it, my attention wavers and I find myself reading and re-reading paragraphs...I can't focus when I dislike a book....
livewire

Postby truthgone12 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:05 pm

The chocolate war was stupid. It had a lot of bad language
So every book with bad language sucks. I loved the choclate war and it did have a lot of adult content. But it was a book describing high school boys and to be honest people curse it is a fact of life.
Animal Farm - any of the horrible, boring and depressing high-school texts.
I'm sorry about that because I loved animal farm and laughed the whole book. I mean when I took it seriously it was very sad. But it was a satire and I loved it.
I had to read Great Expectations in 9th grade. It was Horrible! It is just 550 pages of random crap happening that doesn'y make sense. And the main cahracter turns out to be some rich punk who's in live with some really mean chick, just because he thinks she's hot! What a shallow moron! When I finally finished reading this book, I asked my mom if I could throw in our mulcher. to my dismay, she said "no".
Well good thing I'mean unless you want to be known as a book mulcher. And second Great Expectations is not random crap its the events of a man's life and he's not rich he didn't even have a family. Now for books that really suck I would say Eragon word too the author: Too many tom swiftys. He can't even write a book without copying from star wars to Lord of the Rings. No more 15 year olds with parent's that publish books.
truthgone12

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:29 pm

Is Eragon really that bad?Could be because he was only 15 at the time.
Then again who knows about why some things are popular?

As far as it goes I would have to say most Christian fiction these days but
especially the Left Behind series.Badly written,badly plotted and let's not
even get into the Biblical interpretation!
mitsuki lover

Postby starfire » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:42 pm

and let's not
even get into the Biblical interpretation!

I have to agree with you on that one. While I have the utmost respect for their knowledge of the word, I think that if you're gonna read the books, you should read The Book as well. There are some differences. And they should also have a disclaimer on the cover that says: "Authors of this book cannot forsee the future. Please consult God for further information." Plus I thought that the violence was a little excessive(headbashing, decapitations, etc.)
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?threadid=27354
My thread. Click the magical link and ye shall be transported to a land of threadiness!

You shall still ph3ar the ninja! ^ ~

God bless and keep you all the days of your life.
starfire

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner