Neverending Story By Michael Ende

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Neverending Story By Michael Ende

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:39 pm

Just read it a week ago. WOW! I always liked the original old Warner Bros movie (hated the other two because they were so silly) but I didn't know it was actually a German novel. I sorta hate the movie now because it did not do even a shred of justice to the book.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much more philosophy and character in there!!! And they left out Bastian's commie-esque reign of terror... oh yeah and the part where he MURDERS Atreyu. ^_^

Anyone else read it?
USSRGirl

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:14 pm

I liked the first movie to.. I didnt know it was a book...

I will have to see if my library has it! sounds interesting.

BTW you might wanna put some spoiler warnings in there.. that one part souds spoiler-esque XD
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Tancos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:21 am

I saw the first movie when it came out and didn't think much of it. A few years ago I picked up a copy of the book. I had expected that the book would be better than the movie -- nearly all movies based on books are inferior to their sources -- but I was surprised at just how good the book was.
Tancos

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:41 am

I knew of the book before I saw the movie, but at 5 years old I wasn't exactly going to read a tome the size of a smaller telephone book!

In general the book is better, but the movie also did some things better. I feel the second half (Act?) of the book is the best and most interesting and original too. Pity it was never filmed (except for excerpts in the hideous Neverending Story 2 movie.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby USSRGirl » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:19 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I knew of the book before I saw the movie, but at 5 years old I wasn't exactly going to read a tome the size of a smaller telephone book!

In general the book is better, but the movie also did some things better. I feel the second half (Act?) of the book is the best and most interesting and original too. Pity it was never filmed (except for excerpts in the hideous Neverending Story 2 movie.

It was a bit long. XD but worth it. The first movie did ok with the "nothing" stuff, but the Empress' character was severely ruined. Bastian's too. I regretted that they left out Grogramann, although he was a bit like a universalist Aslan. There were so many more mystical landscapes they probably didn't have the technology to do in the early 90's (late 80's?)
USSRGirl

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:43 pm

Wow, thanks for spoiling a major plot point for me.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book. It's pretty fantastic compared to the movie.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rocketshipper » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:36 pm

I love The Neveredning Story! It's one of my all time favorite books. My 3rd grade teacher read it aloud to the class. The first 2 movies are ok, but I didn't like 3. The first movie is actually on my list of scariest movies of all time, because I was TERRIFIED of the Gmork.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:17 am

I remember seeing 2 first and then the original. Then at 10 years old I read the book for the first time (I've read it several times since). I still think the original movie holds up very well, but the 2nd movie was apallingly bad (apart from the insect guards, acid lake and maybe another scene).
The third is bad but so bad that its hilarious. Jack Black is back!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:08 am

XD SORRY SORRY!!! I don't know how to do spoiler tags. *ADDS WARNING*
USSRGirl

Postby Mega.EXE » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:50 am

XD Atreyu is one of my nicknames it makes sense because I look almost exactly like him XDDDDDDDD
Mega.EXE

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:45 pm

Whoooooooa cool. You should cosplay as him.

I occassionally sign off as 'Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes' as one of my aliases now. She was a good dictator in her own right.
USSRGirl

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:58 pm

I used to think Atreyu was a girl, so it did confuse me as to why her shirt would be open so much... As I kid, I was always trying to find scandelous things about the movies I watched...

I've heard of the book, but... Translated novels... I'm just not sure about them... It's more like, i'm not even reading the real book because it has to be changed so much... I mean, if it was a matter of faith (IE the Bible) then it does good to research everything, but it's effort enough to read novels for me, but to have to find out all the possible translations for all the phrases and statements and what the book was really saying, as well as worrying about the puns... I mean, at least with Manga, we have something visual that will never change...

Even so, I do wanna try to read this someday... And the Boogiepop novels...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:17 pm

True. There are some mistranslations in the novel like Fantasia being called FanTASICA, when in German it is actually pronounced FanTASia. But then, since I can't speak German it's better than nothing. :) I mean... it's not the Bible so I wouldn't worry too much about different translations.

ROFLOL @ the Atreyu thing. XD
USSRGirl

Return to Book Corner