Jeff Smith's "Bone"

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Animus Seed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:32 pm

USSRGirl wrote:3.) Is Jeff a universalist/satanist? I know he's not a Buddhist from an interview I read. He may or may not be Christian. I was just recently pointed out to me though that the Great Red Dragon is a symbol for satan (see Revelations...). The fact that the dragon is pretty much like the Bone 'God' or 'Jesus' seems a bit... anti-christ/satanist.

While I love Bone, I wouldn't put in on the level of, say, Homer, and try to find hidden meanings in every detail. (What is the philosophical significance of two main rat creatures, one with brown, the other with purple, fur?)
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:03 pm

Animus Seed wrote:While I love Bone, I wouldn't put in on the level of, say, Homer, and try to find hidden meanings in every detail. (What is the philosophical significance of two main rat creatures, one with brown, the other with purple, fur?)

Yeah I think it's quite silly as well.

Hmm... one is ying the other yang. *OHM!!!*
USSRGirl

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:55 pm

First, the color brown: Brown is, of course, the color of soil, the earth. It is a natural color. The brown rat creature is a savage being, untamed, though uneducated. Brown is also the color of certain people's skin.

The color purple, by contrast, requires dye, and is associated with royalty. Kings dressed in royal robes--robes colored purple. In deed, the most significant use of the word "purple" in Greek is in Aescylus' Agamemnon. This is complicated, however, by the fact that the world "purple" in Greek was used for no less than 37 shades, including brown and even some shades of green. It was also considered the color of blood.

The rat creature's eyes are red, which is the English color of blood.

Ironically, it is the purple rat creature--the royal, noble color--who is weak and sensitive, always wanting to eat quiche, a decidedly non-monstrous food.

We can thus conclude, from the colors brown (Earth, skin), purple (royalty) and red (blood):

...Obviously, Jeff Smith is a New Age paganist who thinks we should all go kill Vincente Fox and introduce an anarchist government in Mexico. Obviously.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:08 pm

Ha, ha! That's great. I love parodies of people that look to deep into things.

May I ask what a Bone is though. Is it explained in later volumes? Or are we just expected to see an almost figureless creature and identify with it (even though we don't know the species?)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:40 pm

:lol:

Some people go too far with looking for symbols.
mitsuki lover

Postby Animus Seed » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:24 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:May I ask what a Bone is though.

The whole time, I thought they were, well, bones. Like actual skeleton bones with happy faces drawn on them. Seriously. I could be wrong...
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby USSRGirl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:09 pm

Bones are Bones. XD Just stick figuresque cartoons that Smith invented when he was 7 apparently. He made a point of stating that he never intends to show Boneville in any comic.
USSRGirl

Postby USSRGirl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:17 pm

P.S. I'm not saying I think Smith's a Satanist/universalist being controlled by the Rockefellers and Led Zepplin, but to be fair the issue wasn't really the color. It was that there's a verse in Revelations that specificly quotes "The Great Red Dragon" word for word in reference to Satan. Just an odd conicidence I figured I'd throw out there. *shrug*

*Finds conspiracy theories entertaining*

Although no one can deny that Rose and even a bit of Bone have Christian themes.
USSRGirl

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:31 pm

USSRGirl wrote:P.S. I'm not saying I think Smith's a Satanist/universalist being controlled by the Rockefellers and Led Zepplin, but to be fair the issue wasn't really the color. It was that there's a verse in Revelations that specificly quotes "The Great Red Dragon" word for word in reference to Satan. Just an odd conicidence I figured I'd throw out there. *shrug*

*Finds conspiracy theories entertaining*

Although no one can deny that Rose and even a bit of Bone have Christian themes.

:lol:

Wow,you managed to tick off Universalists,Led Zepplin fans,the entire
Rockfeller clan and Satanists in one breath! :lol:
mitsuki lover

Previous

Return to Book Corner