Dragonspell

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Dragonspell

Postby oro! » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:16 am

Has anyone read this allegorical book by Donita K. Paul? I was really feeling down that I couldn't find a good(clean, Christian) read, when I saw this at borders on Wednesday. It was so good I finished it on Friday!
It's fantasy not quite as detailed as I might want it, but it still had a good 334 pages...
what do y'all feel about this book?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby oro! » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:09 am

unfortunately, it seems that most of the Christian books I read are not wide-read.They are good none the less, let me tell ya!
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby FadedOne » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:38 am

i've seen this at the bookstore. i want it.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby oro! » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:30 pm

Oh, yeah. Are you someone who would read it right there? I sure do that for some books. I know, kinda cheap, but what's a jobless girl to do?
oro!

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:41 am

oro!girl7 wrote:Oh, yeah. Are you someone who would read it right there? I sure do that for some books. I know, kinda cheap, but what's a jobless girl to do?

I do that sometimes (more so with manga than books though). Sometimes I just want to see if the book is worth buying-some books are only good enough to read once and then that's it.

*Looks up more info on Dragonspell on bn.com* This looks pretty interesting. I'll check it out when I get to the bookstore next time :)
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:14 pm

I'm actually reading this right now, and I LOVE it! Gymn is SO cute! I'm on...chapteeerrr...19? I think? Anyways, it's really good, I love how the author writes. It's very easy to get lost in a book when you don't have to read it with a dictionary right next to you. XD

Oh, and just for the record...Leetu Bends is awesome!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:23 pm

Yup I've read it, and I liked it quite a bit. I can think of other dragon stories that I prefer, but this book is definately an interesting read with some fun and unique characters. The author is really nice too, my sister has even had some discussions with her through email and the live chats they sometimes have on the site.

There is a second book too, but I haven't gotten to read that one yet.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby blueraven » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:07 pm

I think thats the one I got my mother for Christmas ^^; I'm horrible with getting gifts but I know she loves to read and perfers more along the lines of younger fantasy books I thought it looked good. Now if only I could figure out where she's been hiding her books so I can read it!(I have a habit of "borrowing" books and then having them end up on my bookshelves heh)
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:00 pm

I got DragonQuest, the sequel, yesterday. :D It looks so good!
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby oro! » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:22 pm

Tell us how it is when you get done, Radical Dreamer. I haven't been able to get my hands on it myself.
oro!

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:54 pm

Hahaha, so I'm still reading Dragonspell, and I think that Wizard Fenworth is my favorite character. XDD He's just so funny!! I love how absent-minded he is, hah! In one chapter, he was talking about how Risto stumbled across the meech egg, but didn't have all of his geese in order...or maybe that was ducks in a row...ducks and geese both lay eggs, you know, as do alligators and a strange mammal called a platypus. :lol:

I laughed so hard when I read that!! XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby MyrrhLynn » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:57 am

Yes Fenworth is one of my favorite characters too! I love how in the first book he couldn't even remember where his house is! :lol:

Keep us posted on the book! I haven't had a chance to get it from the library yet, but I really want to check it out. Are there lots of new characters in it?

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:29 pm

Yay, finished Dragonspell today!! I absolutely LOVED it, and I'm starting the new one tomorrow sometime! I know of at least two new characters that my friend told me about (she's already read it, and she introduced me to the first book as well), so I'm excited about getting started! I'll keep you guys posted once I get into it! n_n

Radical Dreamer

Postby Maledicte » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:45 am

I can't say I was really overcome with awe by the series. We never get to see from any other character's viewpoints, and Risto the magician doesn't really....DO anything, all we hear about him is that he's evil, and take that as fact. And he only shows up at the end.

However the characters were good, particularly the little dragons and Paladin.
Maledicte

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Well, I've read about 100 pages into DragonQuest, and I love it. XD Toopka, a little doneel girl, is absolutely adorable!! Fenworth is hysterical, as usual, and Gymn and Metta are as cute as ever. :grin: So far, most of the cast from the first book has shown up, such as Dar, Leetu Bends, Lee Ark, Librettowit, and the two dragons, Merlander and Celisse (and of course, Paladin and Wulder). Nothing from Brunsetter or the Kimens yet, the latter of which I really hope will show up soon. Seezle is so adorable! I'm also interested to see where the relationship between Bardon (new character) and Kale ends up...Quite exciting! :D

Also, according to Donita K. Paul's website, DragonKnight, the series's third installation, will be released on June 20 of '06! :thumb:

Radical Dreamer

Postby Destiny » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:18 pm

Yep! XD If you guys like it so much, email her! Seriously, she's super nice! (I'm the sister that Myrrhlynn refered to.) She helped me out biiiigggg time with my writing, and with her help I managed to get a Christian Author to come to my school and library.
Anyway, I know she used to have this author chat every monday night. =) XD She would torture (sp?) us about the latest hints with her books. She loves hearing from her fans... she kinda reminds me of the grandmother I've always wanted!
Yes, I LOVE Fenworth... XD He is so totally awesome! :lol:
Do you yearn for magic? Saint Cloud

The Page Turner Radio Play
:?:
Destiny

Postby Calypsa » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:39 am

Oh, cool! I've heard of this series before, and seen it for sale, but I was unsure about buying it. It sounds really neat though! I can't wait to pick it up!
[font="Trebuchet MS"][color="Green"]formerly known as Dragonfly[/color][/font]
Calypsa

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:41 am

Gravedug'd!

Ok, so I started the third book, DragonKnight, today. :D I'm about two chapters in, and it's pretty interesting, because things are more from Bardon's point of view. He's met two Emerlindians so far, which I'm kind of excited about, because I'm hoping the author will find some way to weave Leetu into all of this, since she's gotten hardly any character development since she was snatched away in the first book. XD This third installment is somewhat longer than the previous two; it's some 400+ pages, and is actually separated into two parts. It looks to be a promising read, though, so I'm really looking forward to getting into it! :thumb:

Radical Dreamer

Postby oro! » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Sometime I'll go to Borders and just buy or read the next two while I am just there. I have the money, but don't know if I want to spend it on a con, book, or other thing.
oro!

Postby TallasLint » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:39 am

I just finished reading Dragonknight. It was really good, I loved the ending!
Lint.
TallasLint

Return to Book Corner