Cyberpunk

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Cyberpunk

Postby Knives » Tue May 16, 2006 10:21 am

So, I just started getting into this, so far I have only read a few short cyberpunk stories (Fondly Farenheit, and one that i forget the name of...) It seems like awesome stuff. So, here is the place to discuss your favorite cyberpunk books!
If you don't know what cyberpunk is then go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk
Also, does anyone have some reccomendations for some good, sex free cyberpunk, it seems pretty hard to find.
Knives

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Sun May 21, 2006 4:41 pm

Poor Tom...
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Tommy » Sun May 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Josh, he is refering to the genre Cyberpunk, that's not the name of the series.

(I am writing a series titled that).

Examples are:
The Matrix and GITS.
Tommy

Postby Tancos » Sun May 21, 2006 5:13 pm

William Gibson -- Burning Chrome (short stories); the Neuromancer trilogy: Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive. There's little, if any, sex that I can recall (it's been a while since I read the books). Combine Gibson's sensibility with Philip K. Dick's, and you get something like Serial Experients Lain.

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash left me cold, but many people whose opinion I respect think it's excellent, so I'll mention it. Read a few chapters and see what you think.

I'm not sure that I'd classify "Fondly Fahrenheit" as cyperpunk, good story though it is. It involves a problematic robot, not information technologies.
Tancos

Postby mechana2015 » Thu May 25, 2006 10:44 am

Neuromancer has a fairly... *ahem* scene in it actually. Mona lisa is pretty clean though, and I havn't read Count Zero yet. Snow crash has some content towards the end as well but its allright... its a little fluffier than Gibsons work, and naming the charachter Heero Protagonist was moronic, but the story is sorta fun.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Animus Seed » Fri May 26, 2006 5:39 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Neuromancer has a fairly... *ahem* scene in it actually. Mona lisa is pretty clean though, and I havn't read Count Zero yet. Snow crash has some content towards the end as well but its allright... its a little fluffier than Gibsons work, and naming the charachter Heero Protagonist was moronic, but the story is sorta fun.

Wasn't a main character in Mona Lisa Overdrive a pimp or such? I can't recall, and I didn't finish the book.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Return to Book Corner