book suggestions?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

book suggestions?

Postby RefractedAhav » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 pm

I'm looking to start reading something by George MacDonald. Any suggestions?
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Re: book suggestions?

Postby Rose Faerie » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:24 pm

Well, I've read and enjoyed The Princess and the Goblin, The Light Princess, and On the Back of the North Wind. They are all very cute children's novels. I hope you find something you're looking for! :)
Rose Faerie

Postby RefractedAhav » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:05 pm

Thank you. I read in wikipedia that George Macdonald was an inspiration to Tolkien and Lewis as well as a bunch of other authors.
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Rose Faerie » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:21 pm

Yeah! He's great and a big part of my childhood! :)
Rose Faerie

Postby Kaori » Sun May 01, 2022 1:03 pm

For my part, I'd recommend George MacDonald's short stories. "The Golden Key" is an absolutely beautiful story and by far my favorite of his, "The Wise Woman" is also excellent (personally, I found it quite haunting), and there's also one with a werewolf! (I believe that is "The Gray Wolf.")

If you want to read something with an adult main character (though his stories for children can of course be very charming), you could try Phantastes; I believe that's one of his more well-known ones. I don't have a terrible memory of it, TBH. It was mildly interesting? But I thought I'd throw it out there in case books with children for main characters are not your cup of tea.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Return to Book Corner