Where do I get Photoshop?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Where do I get Photoshop?

Postby Dragon Master » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:17 am

:?: I have heard all about this program, so I have a few Q's about it, where do I get it, how much does it cost, and how hard is it to use? Thanks in advance!!
I like hitting things :lickbash:
Dragon Master

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:07 am

you can buy it from adobe, or compusa, im not sure about bestbuy
its $649.99, for the full CS which comes with ImageReady
or you could buy photoshop elements, which is a $99 stripped down version,

or you could get a student edition from your college store

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Dragon Master » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:05 pm

$650!!! O_o I don't have that kind of money...If I don't spend my b-day and christmas money then I could get the "stripped version" but how many of the good features are taken off with that version? Any other info would be great!
Dragon Master

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:34 pm

Elements doesn't have all the filters, and I think it's limited to RGB mode only. However, it's a -lot- better than MS Paint. It would be a reasonable starting point for the price.

Also, if you're a student, many authorized retailers sell an academic version of Photoshop for $249. That's how I bought mine originally.

Paint Shop Pro does almost as many features, but I'm not familiar with it because it's PC-only, and I use a Mac. I've heard good things about it, though, and the cost is around that of Elements.

GIMP is a free tool that is nearly as functional as Photoshop and doesn't cost anything. However, it's not as friendly and has a sometimes cryptic interface. On the other hand, it's really portable (runs on most Unices including Linux and *BSD, and Mac OS X and Windows).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:00 am

ewww, Paint Sh
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby agasfas » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:21 pm

Price wise it's really expensive. If you want to get it cheap I suggest one of the two ways:
1) Befriend a college student. Sometimes the Student Co-op will sell a whole version around $5-30 to student. No kidding. UT students get XP pro for $5; to bad i don't attend there :(
2) try ebay or another auction page. I saw some going for about $120 or so. That's not too bad considering it's like a $500+ application.

*Note: If you decide to get it, look into the recent reviews of Verson 8 (or the upgrade to 7). I heard some bad things about it like freezing up and having some glitches. I read that Version 7 (the one i have) is more stable. Just some advice.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:02 pm

I don't think anyone should condone pirating software. Especially on a Christian site. Come on people!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:23 am

Depending on what you need it for, first off, if you use it for anything commercial, a student version won't give you permission to sell... Buying the full version is really just buying the license to sell your work.

Elements is good for the poor users like me... There are some advanced features it doesn't have, maybe a couple filters, but it's essentially the same. I'd go for that provided you're not selling (still can't sell legally with elements)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby agasfas » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:20 am

I don't think anyone should condone pirating software

I wasn't talking pirating software, but rather a legal verison on ebay. :)

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby olorc » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:34 am

There are similiar programs that are much less intense (and also less in quality) available at places like freeware.com or shareware.com. Very inexpensive but you do pay for what you get though.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:34 pm

agasfas wrote:I wasn't talking pirating software, but rather a legal verison on ebay. :)

Which is illegal... It is illegal to resell software made for commercial use because only Adobe can give you that licence... You can't transfer it.

As for buying elements, I think that's fine to buy over ebay provided the seller deletes it off their computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Dragon Master » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:47 am

Well I don't plan on selling my work or anything, I just want a program that is a lot easier to use than microsoft paint.
Dragon Master

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:14 pm

> It is illegal to resell software made for commercial use

Huh? If that's true, the whole used software market should be hauled off to jail. There may be some licensing restrictions for certain versions such as educational or student versions, but I'd be very doubtful they apply to full commercial versions (I buy used titles all the time, including of big-ticket items like Apple Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro 2).

EDIT: Whoops, I see what you were replying to in agasfas' post, but that applies to student versions ^_^ ...
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby agasfas » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:41 pm

Really, I didn't know that. But i was only suggestion buying the whole thing on ebay, not the student version :). BUt that's good to know.

agasfas

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:57 pm

It *may* be legal if you are also a student, but this might depend on the particular licensing arrangements of the product.

shooraijin

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:45 pm

Go with GIMP. It's as close to photoshop you can get without paying a dime.

Even though photoshop is considered the 'pro's choice', it really matters if you are going professionally in the field yourself (I am, and so I've been dishing out more than $1000 in the past year for legal software). If you are--or is planning to in the near future--get photoshop just because it's a investment worth taking. If just looking for something better than MS Paint then try out GIMP I would say ^^
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby agasfas » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:08 pm

It *may* be legal if you are also a student, but this might depend on the particular licensing arrangements of the product.

Gotcha! I may have to look into that issue. Good thing I'm a student :P

agasfas

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:56 pm

shooraijin wrote:> It is illegal to resell software made for commercial use

Huh? If that's true, the whole used software market should be hauled off to jail. There may be some licensing restrictions for certain versions such as educational or student versions, but I'd be very doubtful they apply to full commercial versions (I buy used titles all the time, including of big-ticket items like Apple Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro 2).

EDIT: Whoops, I see what you were replying to in agasfas' post, but that applies to student versions ^_^ ...

I guess I was a bit too absolute... Only adobe can give the authority for the transfer, so you can buy from a "licensed reseller" that Adobe has given permission to resell. You can't just sell it on Ebay or buy it at a local garage sale or flea market.
Bobtheduck

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:22 am

This idea or law of Authorized reselling is a bunch of annoying BS. If I want to buy something used or from some freind, then I'll do so. Sorry for going vigilante, but this is all silly talk.
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:29 am

The idea itself may in fact be "silly" but I would strongly caution you to not flag a serious discussion of copyright/reseller law as "silly talk."

It appears you don't care what anyone else has to say, so I won't bother telling you why your wrong. Good luck avoiding law enforcement, since you seem bent on breaking the law.

I'll leave you with this:
Bear in mind that a local company around where I work got shut down for releasing a software program to the public that was compiled using an "educational" version of C++. Everyone lost their jobs/stock options, and some people went to jail.

Just because some law hits your wallet a little harder than you want doesn't justify you breaking it.
Mithrandir

Postby Dragon Master » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:22 pm

Now i'm confused...what is legal and what is not? If I was to buy the FULL, unused, unregistered version off of ebay is that legal? Or what if it was used but unregistered, but the person uninstalled it, is that legal? I'm confused...
Dragon Master

Postby shooraijin » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:54 pm

AFAIK, if the other user deleted it off their system and gives you the install media and license keys, and all applicable copies, that's legal. The used software market has operated like that for ages.

Certain specially licensed software like educational and student versions may only be sold to and possessed by academic personnel and students.

However, I disagree with Bob in saying that Adobe would have to approve the transfer (especially in the case of the hoi-polloi regular full commercially licensed version that you buy off the shelf). If there's something in the license that says otherwise, I'd like to see it. I don't recall it anywhere in the Photoshop I own, although I did buy mine new, or in any of my other software titles.

shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:16 pm

Dragon Master wrote:Now i'm confused...what is legal and what is not? If I was to buy the FULL, unused, unregistered version off of ebay is that legal?

Yes

Dragon Master wrote:Or what if it was used but unregistered, but the person uninstalled it, is that legal? I'm confused...

Yes. In fact even if it's registered, it's still legal. BUT, you wont be eligable for the technical support stuff. In fact, make sure you get the serial num, too - or you will not be eligable for upgrades.

Unless he's ONLY refering to the education version, I'm not sure what bobtheduck was talking about. I clearly have that right according to the TOS I bought this under... See attached file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mithrandir

Postby agasfas » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:23 pm

I guess that settles the debate. :)

agasfas

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:03 pm

heh, i use the gimp on my pc and mac, its really great
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Tutorials