Crime and Punishment......

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Crime and Punishment......

Postby Lehn » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:04 pm

:drool:

[quote="While talking about Rodya's article in Petrovich's flat"]“… But what is really original in all of this, and is exclusively your own, to my horror is that you sanction bloodshed in the name of conscience, and, it is the point of your article. But that sanction of bloodshed by conscience is, to my mind… more terrible than the official, legal sanction of bloodshed…â€
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:26 pm

Wow, this is a heavy one. Couldn't you have found an easier essay to write? :grin:

Reminder as with all philosophical and ethical topics: civil responses mean continued discussion; wrangling and discord gets a padlock.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Jasdero » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:30 pm

................ sure .................
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:20 pm

Lehn wrote:Now, getting back to the quote, I'm thinking that it means that as long as he, the IM, believes that he has the right to go as far as killing someone because in his (the IM’s) mind, it’s right/justifble………?

:drool: Right?
I have not read Crime and Punishment (I hope to someday), nor have I read the works by those philosophers, but if you want an interpretation of the quote you posted, then I believe you are very close (if not already got it).

From what I see in that quote, bloodshed is allowed/encouraged ("sanctioned") if it is the verdict of a moral/ethical judgement ("by conscience"). Now I do not know if it has to be a specific person's conscience. The quote only mentions "in the name of conscience" or "by conscience." So, if we only look at that quote, society's conscience or the conscience as dictated by absolute rules can also apply, not just the Incredible Man's.

One could argue that Hegel's rationale, as you summarized, falls within the definition of bloodshed justification in that quote. Hegel is citing the utilitarian rationale, meaning that the correct moral judgement or correct conscience is to do the greater good for the world or the ends justify the means.

That is the way I see it, from what limited knowledge I have about the situation you have presented.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Hari » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:15 pm

According to the quote, it's even worse to be a pathological killer (one whose conscience does not object to murder) than, say, a reluctant member of a ruthless military faction (the latter being allowed by the government to murder).

Raskolnikov is without conscience, that is why his character is so notable in literature... AP Lit, hm?

I read C/P during my lunch breaks when I worked at a grocery store last year. It was a great read, and the looks on the managers' faces were great perks. ;)

Hope I helped, good luck on the paper!
Hari

Return to Tutorials