Creating Manga in Photoshop?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Creating Manga in Photoshop?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:45 am

I've bought Photoshop for my Graphic Design course and I was wondering if someone could provide or point me to tutorials about how to create manga in Photoshop. I mean the whole airbrushed look or whatever. Do you know what I mean? I guess you start off from a sketch and I've got a graphics tablet recently but I don't know anymore than that.

Thanks!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Jasdero » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:33 pm

Uh.. you mean that you draw the manga by hand, scan it, and then want to make it look more "clean?"
I'll need to be reinstalling all of my graphic programs this Thursday, because I completely reformated by entire hard drive. One of the programs is Adobe Photoshop CS, so, I can help as soon as I've got them all installed. : )
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:04 pm

Yeah, draw by hand, scan in and then use Photoshop with mouse or graphics tablet.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Jasdero » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:57 pm

Gotcha. ;) I'll be installing the programs tommorow. Yeah, I know I said Thursday, but my graphics card and The Sims 2 are acting up again, so we're going to have to go see what's up tommorow afternoon.

However, in the meantime, I think that what you wanted was Gaussian Blur, and if I remember correctly, that is done by going to: Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur. You just enter the degree of the blur you want. You're going to have to play around with it until you find the degree that best pleases you.

If that wasn't what you needed, just say so, and I'll get back to you with Photoshop up and running.

Jasdero

Postby skynes » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:30 am

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/index.htm

Try this. It has a tutorial for colouring lineart in PS. Also one for Paint Shop Pro if you have it
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:16 am

I just b
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:59 pm

Graphic tablets do take a lot of getting used to for me though. Good fun, great investment, but a fairly steep learning curve.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Jasdero » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:34 pm

....Uh... just exactly what is a graphics tablet?

Jasdero

Postby Mave » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:24 am

A graphics tablet is an input device that enables you to enter drawings and sketches into a computer. It consists of an electronic tablet (looks like a flat screen you can place flat down) and a pen (also called a stylus) which looks like a simple ballpoint pen but uses an electronic head instead of ink. The tablet contains electronics that enable it to detect movement of the cursor or pen and translate the movements into digital signals that it sends to the computer.

Click here for more information.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/graphicstablets.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mave

Postby Benu » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:56 pm

Yea wacoms rock! Very helpful in graphic design and digtal art! ^_^
"We join the "Christian" club and separate ourselves from the world, and the world still sits on the outside, dying for someone to demonstrate what it means to believe." - Matthew Paul Turner
Benu

Postby Jasdero » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:41 am

Mave wrote:A graphics tablet is an input device that enables you to enter drawings and sketches into a computer. It consists of an electronic tablet (looks like a flat screen you can place flat down) and a pen (also called a stylus) which looks like a simple ballpoint pen but uses an electronic head instead of ink. The tablet contains electronics that enable it to detect movement of the cursor or pen and translate the movements into digital signals that it sends to the computer.

Click here for more information.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/graphicstablets.htm

oooo... I see, I see. Thanks, Mave. : )

Jasdero

Postby skynes » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:51 am

I actually find it easier to draw and paint with a mouse rather than a pen! But that's just me :P
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Return to Tutorials