Manga affect: Blood spatter?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Manga affect: Blood spatter?

Postby Uriah » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:04 pm

Does anyone here know a good technique for making manga-blood spatter?Anyone know a way of doing it that is both realistic and easy?

I'm guessing a trail or blood (Like from a body being drug) would be done with some sort of brush..
Uriah

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:38 pm

The way my How to Draw Manga books explain it is to take a manga pen (it's a type of fountain pen I believe), put a drop or two of ink on the tip, and blow. It should spatter.

Aside from that, I don't know.

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Uriah » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:44 pm

Ah, thanks.
Uriah

Postby Dark_angel » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:35 pm

Hmm...Blood eh? Well, I think you could do it with a special ink brush. or if you want to do it with a regular inking pen, you can put ink (red or black, if you don't want color) on the tip of the ink pen, take a brush, and flicker the ink/paint on to the paper, it works quite well with small blood spatters, but I'm not so sure about the really big ones.
[indent]
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding -provers 9:10

[/indent](Sorting things out, but will be back later.) :angel:
Dark_angel

Postby BigZam » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:56 am

Uriah wrote:Does anyone here know a good technique for making manga-blood spatter?Anyone know a way of doing it that is both realistic and easy?

I'm guessing a trail or blood (Like from a body being drug) would be done with some sort of brush..

Well it depends what you're using. I do mostly pencil drawings(mostly becasue i can't afford fancy brushes and cels and stuff like that). Blood is easy with pencil because though most people try to draw out the splatter, it's much easier to just kinda color it in with a pencil instead of trying to draw out a shape and color it in. It makes it more realistic.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:23 pm

I'm picky when I do my blood trails from too much forensic shows so I outline them myself then go in with my brush pen and fill it. Another way to do it if you're confident you can control this technique well (I NEVER recommend it unless you do a lot of practice first on another paper) is to literally drag a lump of something saturated with ink in the direction the body is being dragged. Usually a tightly crumped paper towel would do. I would recommend not saturating it too much, just to get the overall look then later go back in with a brush and fill the trail up more.

Now, that's what I do for blood trails, but are you talking about trails or splatter? Splatter is a bit more tricky if you want to get the direction/velocity right but for the most part as long as you keep it simple it can pass better than a huge explosion of blood splatter regardless of physics (Rurouni Kenshin comes to mind--the mangka combines both impact and blood splatter, it's an effect that works but I personally don't like it much).

I rarely do blood splatter but when I do when making comics, I tape off the panel to make sure the ink doesn't go all over the place before hand. Then take a brush, dip it in ink, test it a few times on a paper elsewhere till I get close to what I want, then snap my wrists sharply at an angle (or angle the paper to get a nice tail).

If you want fine, heavy, splatter, I had frequently used a worn toothbrush, load the tip, then rake my thumb parallel to the head of the brush. Remember to mask off the area you want to protect, this technique gets ink everywhere...
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby SwordSkill » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:48 am

Do you have Photoshop? You can easily achieve the blood effect by using the brush tool. I've attached a catalogue of blood samples below; I can send you the file that contains those brushes that you can install under the brush palette if you do have PS.

Yeah, I'm always looking for the easy way out. ^^;; I'm very messy with ink.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:48 am

if you have painter 9 (or 8 maybe) there are some watercolor effects that could simulate smearing or splattering blood.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Jasdero » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:48 pm

Oh!!! I know a tutorial that can help with this!!

Gah! I can't find the link.. T.T Well.. er.. I could probably just type it out.. do you have Photoshop?
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Uriah » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:18 pm

Wow, I didnt think this many people would reply, I havint checked this topic for a wile.

And yes, I do have photoshop, thanks Swordskill. I'll probably end up trying all these things.
Uriah

Postby Sonicbomb77 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:06 pm

you could always use a toothbrush ^_^ [seriousely] if you practice using a toothbrush. you can make any kind of blood splatter you want. also what i do sometimes is get one of those sour spray candy from the store [you know somthing like those sourhead things] I clean it out REALLLY well [soap, water,etc. might take awhile to get cleaned well] and fill it with ink [i use it and it works well too plus it is less messy] hope that helped
Sonicbomb77

Postby Uriah » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:17 pm

Yea, That's a good idea
Uriah

Postby Maledicte » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:32 pm

I made blood effects totally by accident...
on a pic of Ruroni Kenshin i accidentally dropped some red, watered-down watercolor paint from my sopping brush onto his outfit...then i grabbed the paper and cried "NOOOOOOOO"--and then stared in awe at the most realistically drawn blood-soaked clothes i hav ever made...
you can do this by placing a couple of drops of slightly watered-down ink or paint on the paper and tilting the surface to move it around.
About the picture? my teacher said i couldn't enter it 'cause it was too bloody:-)
Maledicte

Postby Uriah » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:23 pm

That sucks.

I'v seen really freaking bloody pictures winning school art contests at our local fair (Like.. Blood covered floors, headless bodies taped to the wall...) O_o...
Uriah

Return to Tutorials