PS vs. GIMP

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

PS vs. GIMP

Postby Galant » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:24 pm

If this isn't the right place then move it.

Just wondering which one of the two would receive people's recommendations, why - especially considering the HUGE cost difference.

G.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Adopted by Starfire!

OATS - for Shoobie goodness!
Galant

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:33 pm

I haven't had much experience with the GIMP, but my choice has been (and will be) Photoshop, simply because it has a nicer interface, lots of support, and is the de-facto standard. This doesn't mean that GIMP won't serve your needs; it's simply that to me it's not worth it when I have a history with Photoshop and I like it.

However, why not simply try the GIMP for yourself? It doesn't cost anything, and if you decide you don't like it, you're only out a little hard disk space and time.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:55 pm

I've been hearing some good things about GIMP and I would say it's still best to try both out. I'm a adobe-slave so I probably wouldn't use GIMP over photoshop even if the learning-curve is minimal.

However, if you can't afford photoshop, GIMP is really your top choice from what I heard. It might not be as powerful, and it's still beta (I think), but really, it won't hurt to try it out. I might even do so since apparently GIMP works better with tablets than Photoshop does. (which isn't too surprising... even openCanvas works better with the tablet than photoshop)
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:11 am

Well since I'm a Photoshop snob I'm probably the wrong person to ask. :lol: I agree with the others that it would be a good idea to just try GIMP out and see if you like it or not, especially if you are just doing it for fun.

But if you are thinking of making graphics professionally Photoshop is a must buy for several reasons:
1. If you go to work for a company most of them REQUIRE you to know Photoshop.
2. Tons and tons of other people used Photoshop more so then GIMP so finding filters, gradients, tutorials, and brushes is very easy to do with Photoshop.
3. Photoshop is more powerful = you can do more stuff with it.

If you just want to make a avatar or something GIMP is probably fine, but if you are serious about graphic making you pretty much need to get Photoshop.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:57 am

Gimp = Free, createthat.
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Jasdero » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:03 pm

Photoshop, for sure. That's just about the only program I've used of all the ones I have. I've got Photoshop CS, Paint Shop Pro 8, Macromedia Dreamweaver/Flash/Fireworks MX2004, and the only one of all of those that I have really used is Photoshop. Paint Shop Pro is supposed to be almost equal to Photoshop, at least, according to some users, but I, personally, don't like it. My friend bought it for me as a gift, and if he hadn't given it to me, I never would have owned it. It's just not as "user-friendly" as Photoshop as, in my opinion.

I don't have really any experience with GIMP. One of the CAA members helped me out with downloading it, and I did install it, but I just opend it up once, fiddled with it for a few minutes, and closed it for first and last time. If you have a choice between GIMP and Photoshop, the one that immediately takes you is Photoshop. It's a very powerful program, as the others have said.

One quick little thing to throw at you is that Photoshop CS is, basically, exactly like Photoshop 7.0, so if you're thinking about buying it, but don't want the huge cost, go with 7.0, if available.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby madphilb » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:46 pm

I noticed that most of the people who recommend PS have done so either by not having ever used the GIMP or by having installed it and using it for just a few minutes. The problem with that is years ago when WP was the defacto-standard for Word Processors (5.0/5.1 for DOS timeframe) I was given a copy to look at, installed it and then uninstalled it, why? 5.0 didn't have a menu and I didn't know how to use it. Once my friend showed me how to use the program I fell in love with it, it was the best thing, and I still long for the days of using such a great piece of software.

GIMP doesn't have all the features of PS, but to say it's not as powerful is a generalization. Alot of that depends on what you're trying to do, what you want to accomplish. The only thing that PS does much, much better than GIMP is 4-color seperation mode, which GIMP lacks (though it can export to CYMK).

GIMP does operate a bit different form PS, mostly becuase it's not native Windows and doesn't use the MDI that most Windows programs use.

With a bit of learning you can apply most techinques that are used on PS to GIMP, and you would be surprised at how many plugins are availabe for GIMP (though many are pre-compiled for Linux and not Windows).

Considering that GIMP is free, that there are several books out on how to use it (check your local library or Amazon.com), and that most people are in this position:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/archive.asp?nextform=viewcomic&id=923

I'd say that it would be worth most poeple's time to get to know GIMP, unless you can afford PS. I'll have to see if I can find some links for artwork created with GIMP, there was one woman who used to post to the GIMP artwork Yahoo Group when I used to be joined up there who made some awesome paintings, all done in GIMP.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Gypsy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:55 pm

CS is great, but it's no big pain to go back and forth from ps7 and CS. I use CS at work and 7 at home. Actually, CS is still a teeny bit buggy. It's good practice anyway, but if you're using CS, you need to hit ctrl+s like a crazy person. CS (on several higher-end computers) randomly crashes when you open menus, apply filters, or go from tabbed view to non.

And like Ann put it so nicely, I am also an Adobe slave, especially given my current profession.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby shooraijin » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:28 pm

> 5.0 didn't have a menu and I didn't know how to use it.

LOL! I'm going to date myself tremendously here, but in WP 5.1, you can get a menu with Alt-= if my memory serves. When I get back to my apartment, I'm going to fire it up. I still remember most of the WordPerfect 5.1 keystrokes! Man, I'm old! ;)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Tutorials