Anime Drawing Help!

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Anime Drawing Help!

Postby Mr_Anderson » Sat May 29, 2004 3:06 pm

i need help on how to learn to draw anime/manga characters, cause i can't draw em at all :waah!:.
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Yeito » Sat May 29, 2004 3:57 pm

Hey! Hey! Hey! Don't cry Mr. Anderson! It's ok! Really! I'm sure you can draw.
Have you gone to the HOW TO DRAW MANGA -- OFFICIAL SITE AND STORE ? If you look it up on google.com I'm sure you'll find it. It has some tutorials on there. Just... try your best, and don't expect your first work to look like a professional manga-ka with a superior pen inking set. ^-^ You have to learn to like your work as it progresses. If you never like anything you do, you'll never get better. Take it step by step, and just do your best. Um... I'm not sure if I helped at all... but hopefully, something good will come out of it... >>;; now I'm mumbling. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'll talk to you again soon hopefully! Bye now!
Yeito
Yeito

Postby Golden_Griff » Sat May 29, 2004 4:31 pm

Just... try your best, and don't expect your first work to look like a professional manga-ka with a superior pen inking set. ^-^ You have to learn to like your work as it progresses.

Believe it or not, it took me a few years to start drawing anime because I WAS SCARED TO! I was scared that my pictures would be horrendous so I never worked on it. But it's just like what Yeito says, I would have never been able to get better if I never started. So finally I did my first couple of anime drawings; they were very skinny people with enormous heads but I grew to like it. Now, I'm proud of [most] of the drawings that I do. But I'm always praticing to improve. I refered back to the "How to draw manga" site plenty times and I can really say that it helped me out a lot.
Golden_Griff

Postby JediSonic » Sat May 29, 2004 5:22 pm

My biggest problems getting started were:

1) The fact that I found the head shape tutorials confusing and stupid, and until I changed that attitude my heads all were horribly porportioned and

2) What Golden_Griff said about not wanting to draw because I might draw something bad! I still have trouble with that today too! [although with 5 months of drawing anime I'm hardly what youd call experienced]
JediSonic

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Sat May 29, 2004 5:42 pm

Check out the online tutorial at the How To Draw Manga site:

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/tutorial.html

I'm a total dummy at art, but it helped me out a lot. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mr_Anderson » Sat May 29, 2004 6:15 pm

thanx! i think it might take me a while to learn, but it looks helpful!
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Vash is a plant » Sat May 29, 2004 6:44 pm

I was able to find an art class in town that taught anime art; you might want to look into it. Also, you could take pictures of your favorite anime characters and tracem there's no shame in that as long as you don't try to pass it off as your own work! ^.^ It would help you get a feel for things. Like what everyone else has said, there's always books on drawing out there.
But.
The main thing to keep in mind: no matter how discourage you may ever get, keep on drawing because you will improve, but not over night.
Also, create your own style. You don't have to draw like everyone else. Do what you think looks the best.
Hope it goes well for you!
"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." -1 Corinthians 13:13 :thumb:
:dance: :jump: :hug: :comp: :poke: :drool:
I have a Deviant Art! http://keiko-mukisune.deviantart.com/
Vash is a plant

Postby Mr_Anderson » Sat May 29, 2004 6:48 pm

i can draw pre-made anime characters, but i cant make my own. it makes me soo mad sometimes!
Mr_Anderson

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 29, 2004 7:49 pm

www.polykarbon.com is very good for building bodies while the how to draw thingy is good for details
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Golden_Griff » Sat May 29, 2004 8:56 pm

Also, create your own style. You don't have to draw like everyone else. Do what you think looks the best.
Hope it goes well for you!

That's the only problem I have with drawing anime--it's all I have ever drawn in probably 4 years. Now it's hard for me to draw in a totally different style because I'm so used to drawing anime!

i can draw pre-made anime characters, but i cant make my own. it makes me soo mad sometimes!

I'm the total opposite. Since I consider myself to be a very creative person I always draw my own characters. But if I was to try to draw an already existing character I would hate it because it never turns out exactly the same! It would look like some replication project gone terribly wrong (*_*)
Golden_Griff

Postby Angelchick » Sat May 29, 2004 11:22 pm

same here. i'm going to try to use some anime pics to help me figure out how to draw some stuff.

Mr_Anderson wrote:i can draw pre-made anime characters, but i cant make my own. it makes me soo mad sometimes!
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby Mr_Anderson » Sun May 30, 2004 10:18 am

when i actually get a drawing done, i try and post it up here, k?
Mr_Anderson

Postby Yeito » Sun May 30, 2004 5:10 pm

Good good! Can't wait to see it! Gotta run. >>;; Sorry.
Yeito

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun May 30, 2004 5:23 pm

I went to the "how to draw manga" website.

VERY helpful, especially for beginners. ^^x (actually s/he gave me a few ideas, too.)

The person who made the site is very talented. *is totally shamed*
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Vash is a plant » Sun May 30, 2004 5:36 pm

Golden_Griff wrote:That's the only problem I have with drawing anime--it's all I have ever drawn in probably 4 years. Now it's hard for me to draw in a totally different style because I'm so used to drawing anime!

I was talking about different anime styles ^ ^;, like certain authors have a certine style, but there's also a general "universal style". :angel: :dance: :hits_self :thumb: :forehead: :jump:
"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." -1 Corinthians 13:13 :thumb:
Vash is a plant

Postby Golden_Griff » Sun May 30, 2004 5:53 pm

I was talking about different anime styles ^ ^;, like certain authors have a certine style, but there's also a general "universal style".

Well, yeah, I guess that's what I meant: the general style, if such thing exists. I'm trying to say that I can't draw something that would be considered a non-anime plain cartoon type thing as easily because I haven't drawn in any other style (meaning something besides the "general" anime) in quite sometime.

Do you comprehend what I'm trying to say? Of course I'm asking politely, I just don't like to confuse people with what I'm saying! :eyebrow:
Golden_Griff

Postby Vash is a plant » Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm

Golden_Griff wrote:Well, yeah, I guess that's what I meant: the general style, if such thing exists. I'm trying to say that I can't draw something that would be considered a non-anime plain cartoon type thing as easily because I haven't drawn in any other style (meaning something besides the "general" anime) in quite sometime.

Do you comprehend what I'm trying to say? Of course I'm asking politely, I just don't like to confuse people with what I'm saying! :eyebrow:

Lol. Yeah, I get what you're saying now. With my style, I've taken certine things that I like in a style that I've seen and have just mixed it all together. It's still a work in progress though! ^ ^; :lol:
Vash is a plant

Postby Golden_Griff » Sun May 30, 2004 6:09 pm

I had to ask because I got the growing feeling that I'm starting to irritate everyone with my dumb/ignorant posts. :bootout:

Lol. Yeah, I get what you're saying now. With my style, I've taken certine things that I like in a style that I've seen and have just mixed it all together. It's still a work in progress though! ^ ^;

Hmm, I should venture more into creating a style that's my own but is still anime-ish :comp: <--ha ha I love that smiley--that's me when I draw something hideous and I just crumple it.
Golden_Griff

Postby Vash is a plant » Sun May 30, 2004 6:23 pm

Golden_Griff wrote: Hmm, I should venture more into creating a style that's my own but is still anime-ish :comp: <--ha ha I love that smiley--that's me when I draw something hideous and I just crumple it.

lol! heh. we all have those moments don't we.. ^ ^; how do you get the glomp smilie thing? :forehead:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Vash is a plant

Postby Mr_Anderson » Sun May 30, 2004 6:57 pm

It's not official anime, but it's and attempt. I wanna shoot it, you can print it out and shoot if you like. you can make glomp smilies by typing :hug*: without the * thing. the arms are whacky eh?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Golden_Griff » Sun May 30, 2004 7:08 pm

WHAT? Is that you're first attempt at drawing anime ever? THAT'S VERY GOOD! I'm no expert so I can't give you any real advice. But I think the eyes could use more work. Of course, that's my personal opinion. Overall I think it's great. :thumbsup: And I'm not just saying that to be nice I really do think that. I think you did a good job on the nose too; I usually have trouble with that area for some reason. :bang:
Golden_Griff

Postby Mr_Anderson » Mon May 31, 2004 12:10 am

Well, its not my first i kinda tried to draw some pokemon and stuff but nothin much other than that. i just drew a line for the nose, nothin special, thanx though.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Heart of Sword » Mon May 31, 2004 6:52 am

My style's sort of like Nobuhiro Watsuki-dono's...weird...

Not really, though...but I draw kind of like him when I design swordfights.

And when I draw wolves, they just look like real wolves with big feet. ;^^x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Golden_Griff » Mon May 31, 2004 10:38 am

i just drew a line for the nose, nothin special, thanx though.

Well, I know that most anime characters don't have such a big nose face on. But whenever I draw my noses it always looks funny for some reason, like I added something to the nose that shouldn't be there.
Golden_Griff

Postby RefractedAhav » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:48 pm

My problem is really an issue with lazyness. I am not as good as I should be because I don't draw as often as I should.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:37 pm

Elowen wrote:My problem is really an issue with lazyness. I am not as good as I should be because I don't draw as often as I should.

Practice does wonders, though! If you do something long enough, you usually can't help but improve. Being lazy simply does not cut it. :shady: ;)
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Golden_Griff » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:55 pm

I agree. Last summer I improved my skills big time because I was working as a secretary and I had nothing else to do but draw. But during the school year it was hard to find the time. And whenever I'm home I spend most of my time playing video/computer games so I don't take much time for my most treasured talent. So again this summer I'm getting pencil to paper so that I won't get too rusty (unfortunately I kinda forgot how to draw the frame/body of my characters correctly :( ).

I repeat, my artistic talent is my most treasured ability so I can't let it slip away from me. :hug:
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:44 pm

Treasure it well. I wish I could draw. I try to draw, and it looks horrid, and I can't bear to draw anymore. My lines are always shaky and never turn out like I want them to, I can't get faces, hands, or feet to look like, and tutorials do nothing for me.

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Return to Tutorials