The Black Throne

This is where all in character roleplaying occurs. Please note that posts in this forum do not count toward your post count, and that old threads are subject to periodic prunination!

Re: The Black Throne

Postby Oddood198 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Durek turned to the Elf huntress, regarding her calmly. He smirked slightly, remembering how, during the chase just hours ago, this Elf had saved them by first killing the nearest savages to them, and them leading them to relative safety in the rocks.
"Very well; that's your decision." The old Orc said, crossing his arms, "And if you wish to continue 'not helping' in the same manner you did earlier, I'll be rather grateful to you for not taking part." He added.
Oddood198

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:02 pm

"You children are all so strange," Kiani interjected, tired of the hopeless efforts at communication everyone was making. Did they all enjoy arguing and being smug so immensely? It was only giving her a headache. "If you're all quite finished, we should probably be going now. We don't have all day. Hikiera, stop being snippy, it's rude. Tiernan, I don't like that attitude. And Durek, if you're going to be a leader, I quite expect you to act like one and start making plans for whatever it is you intend to do. I for one don't particularly enjoy standing here wasting away to nothing in my old age."
And with that, Kiani sat on the ground and pulled out her potato, muttering quietly to it.
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:10 pm

OOC - well, I had a moment...

Hikiera blinked, startled, but before she could make a proper retort, Kiani suddenly piped up and fussed her for being snippy. Her mouth opened, then closed. Glaring at both of them, she marched away and sat down again by the tree, next to Tiernan.
"I'm snippy," she muttered. "Well he's crazy, she's...totally mad." She glanced at the sky, sighing. "When did life get so weird?"
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Cheetah » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Sendre looked at the dwarf with a curious frown. He stepped closer.
Was that a potato?
"What...? What are you doing?"
Cheetah

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:24 pm

"And if I didn't know better, I'd say they're all crazy..." Kiani trailed off as the young orc boy edged closer. Turning her head slowly, she stared at him.
"Excuse me, young man, what do you think you're doing?" Inching away, Kiani slowly replaced the potato in her pouch.
"We'll continue this later," she said to it, then turned back to Sendre, scowling.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Cheetah » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Sendre wasn't sure if he was more surprised that the dwarf was talking to a potato or that she had actually managed to subdue the elf with just a few sharp words. And who was Tiernan? He wondered if it was the elf child, though it sounded more like a boy's name.
When the dwarf questioned what he was doing, Sendre realized that he was staring rather rudely. It hadn't occurred to him that manners might be an issue with certain members of this ragtag group.
He straightened and tried to think of something to say to redeem himself then wondered why being polite to a dwarf really mattered. He felt all mixed up and finally just took a deep breath and decided to play along with the dwarf.
"My most sincere apologies for disturbing you, ma'am." Sendre gave a short bow. "I was wondering who I had the pleasure of traveling with."
Cheetah

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:51 am

"After that outburst, I'm not sure you deserve to know my name. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to wait here until our illustrious leader comes up with a plan."
Kiani crossed her arms and turned away from Sendre, her nose upturned. But after a moment, she turned and glance at him again.
"By the way, my name is Kiani Chipfinder. Nice to meet you. Now be quiet."
And she quickly turned away again, making it obvious that she wasn't in the mood for conversation.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Oddood198 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 am

Durek cocked an eyebrow when Kiani gave him a scolding, he hadn't been given a talking to for some time. He closed his eyes, sighing inwardly, trying to lead this group was going to be quite an undertaking, that was certain.
"Everyone, on your feet. It's time to move." He said. Once the whole group had gotten up and was ready, Durek set off to the northeast, aiming for the center of Kargeth. Destiny was calling.

Two days later.

Durek gave the hood of his cloak a tug, making sure it was as far over his face as it could be. He was wrapped tightly against the blistering wind, which threw small, sharp shards of stone at them as if intending to impede their progress. The storm they struggled against had been brewing for the better part of a day, and finally the wind had picked up and begun pushing against them, carrying the small, sharp pieces of stone.
As it stood, the storm was a severe hindrance, but before long it would increase even further and become a serious threat; Durek had seen people cut to ribbons by the jagged stones hurled in powerful storms like this. "There's shelter up ahead!" Durek bellowed over the howling wind, raising an arm to block the wind as he looked over his shoulder to see how the other were faring, "Just a little more, come on!"
Oddood198

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Hikiera sighed, again questioning the wisdom of coming along. Kiani had gotten stranger the further they'd gone too...
Sighing, she hissed as a sharp rock gouged her face.
At the mention of shelter, she muttered something rude and hissed. Why....why...
"I can't take much more of this," she muttered harshly.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.

Wolfsong

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Durek had led them into the most dangerous situations the past couple days, and Kiani was starting to doubt the wisdom of following this strange orc. However, wisdom had never been her top priority, so she didn't think much of it.
Keeping the youngsters in line was proving to be quite the challenge as well. Hikiera in particular continued to be incredibly difficult. Of course, elves had always been Kiani's fiercest foes, so it was no surprise that the girl was so impossible to deal with.
"So...how much longer before we're all dead?" Kiani called through the wind, up to where Durek was leading the way to certain doom. "I hope we can make it to the shelter in time to die peacefully."
ClaecElric4God

Postby Cheetah » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:56 am

Sendre had always been bad about using up all of his potions at once. Now he wished desperately that he'd saved a few, though he might just as well be dead already if he had. He doubted they'd be heading back to the firemountain any time soon to restock. So, there went his advantage. He'd have to rely on his wits to get him through this little adventure alive. And, of course, if he got desperate enough he could always put some trust in his new companions.
He missed the camaraderie of his old friends ad perhaps that's why he began seeking it in the most unlikely source. Either that, or the fatigue was beginning to effect his better judgment.
"So, Hikiera," Sendre struggled to match the tall elf's longer stride, "No hard feelings about earlier, right? You know, with the whole... the cat-beast incident."
As soon as he brought it up, Sendre realized just how stupid that was. Oh, well. He felt confident she wouldn't kill him now. Not that he'd mind at this point. Still, he readied himself to dodge any blows she might send his way.
Cheetah

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Cheetah wrote:"So, Hikiera," Sendre struggled to match the tall elf's longer stride, "No hard feelings about earlier, right? You know, with the whole... the cat-beast incident."
As soon as he brought it up, Sendre realized just how stupid that was. Oh, well. He felt confident she wouldn't kill him now. Not that he'd mind at this point. Still, he readied himself to dodge any blows she might send his way.

O.O

Hikiera glanced at him in surprise, not only shocked that this orc was suddenly talking to her, but the subject...hard feelings? She had none, save maybe towards Kiani, who she was seriously questioning the wisdom of following. Well, she'd made her choice...her only other option was to kill her and run.
Honestly, she wasn't sure she could do it. That was one scary-strange dwarf lady...
"No, I have nothing against you. That was the situation then. Things have changed now," she replied, attempting to try and sound less...threatening. It came out pretty cold, though. Awkwardly, she asked, "What's your relationship to the dwarf anyway? She acts like she knows you. But you two are...different races. How is this possible?"
She felt weird. Talking to someone like this. She didn't talk much with the others anyway...not the other elves, not anyone. Maybe things were different before her parents died, but she didn't really care to remember.
A rock suddenly clipped her forehead. She hissed, letting out a string of curses long and dark.

Wolfsong

Postby Cheetah » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Sendre sighed in relief when Hikiera assured him that that incident was behind them. He was surprised for sure, but not ungrateful. He'd found it quite difficult to forgive her part in all of that, but since she seemed to be harboring no ill will he thought he should try to do the same.
"What's your relationship to the dwarf anyway? She acts like she knows you. But you two are...different races. How is this possible?"
Sendre frowned in confusion at the elf's question. "What? No, she... she doesn't. I never met her before all this happened. In fact, I've known you longer than I have her. Actually, I thought you two were the old friends."
Sendre flinched away involuntarily as Hikiera hissed angrily. Even when she was being friendly, this elf was unnerving.
Sendre kept out of arm's length from the elf and hoped he was faster than her.
Cheetah

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 am

She shook her head slowly, her hand rea hing up to wipe the thin trwail of blood on her forehead away.
"That day I met you and the others was the first I mer hee." Shaking her head, she added, "That was a very strange day."
She glanced around, trying to spot any sign of shelter. Honestly, they were next to a huge rock. Where were all the holes?
"I don't entirely know if I could kill that thing," she muttered, staring at the dwarf ahead. "She's so...odd...compared to all the others I have seen." Shaking her head and sighing, she moaned quiety. Not that she regretted her curiousity yet, but things were starting to grate on her. Just how long would it be till she had to try?

Wolfsong

Postby Oddood198 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Tiny rocks blew past, some of them bouncing off Durek's cloak, others finding their way in to cut at his hands and face. He was squinting tightly to try and protect his eyes; so far the rocks were mostly an annoyance, but if they hit the right spot, they could easily be dangerous.
Even though he said it wouldn't be long, it was almost another hour pushing through the storm before he finally saw the light indicating the shelter he was looking for. "There it is, just ahead!" He called back to the others, having to bellow to be heard over the harsh wind. Durek walked toward the small, faint light that sat well above them, elevated in the air, and finally he found a tall, flat boulder that helped to block the wind and rocks. To either side of it, more tall stones were set up, forming a wide ring to act as a wall. Durek walked along it until he found what looked like a large gate carved out of the stone.
Durek drew his axe from his belt and pounded the butt of it against the gate several times, before putting his hand by his mouth and shouting to the top, "Is anyone there? Open the door! I have people in need of shelter!"
It took several long seconds with only the howling wind to listen to, but finally, one of the doors creaked open slowly, and Durek found himself looking up the shaft of an arrow to an Orc holding the bow drawn back and poised to shoot Durek at a moment's notice. The Orc looked at Durek for a few seconds, then past him to his mixed group of companions.
Durek raised his hands up to show the other Orc he meant to harm, "We wish peace. We're in need of help and were hoping to find it here." He said.
The Orc looked Durek up and down, analyzing him, sizing him up. Finally, he lowered his bow. "Come in, then. But no trouble from any of you or you're back out in the storm." He stepped aside, letting Durek and the rest file through the door and into the relative shelter of the high walls.
Durek shook the dust off his cloak and rolled his neck to work the stiffness out of it, then turned to the rest of the group behind him. "Like he said, I hope you can all behave yourselves. I, for one, would rather not be tossed back out there until the weather subsides." He turned back ahead, and before him was spread out a small village contained inside the ring of tall rocks. There were buildings made of stone, some made of piled dirt, and some of them were just small shacks to cover holes in the ground where the residents lived in caves and tunnels.
As Durek watched, some faces began to appear in windows and doorways, looking at the new arrivals, having been drawn by the sound of the heavy stone door. There were Orcs here, as well as Elves, and Dwarves, too. All three races of people were there, watching them from their homes.
Durek looked at the Orc guard who had brought them in, "I wish to speak with your council seat." He said.
The Orc raised an eyebrow at him, "You know the way?" He asked.
Durek nodded, "I do."
The guard waved him away, "Off with you, then. My job's to guard the gate, the council guards'll handle you if you stir up trouble there."
Durek nodded his understanding, then turned away, waving for his companions to follow him. "This is the Unnamed City." He told them all as he walked through the streets, "It's the only known, civilized gathering of all three races living together. I've been here a few times myself. The people are defensive and secretive; they don't want outsiders bringing them trouble. So don't expect a very warm welcome."
Oddood198

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Hikiera hised under her breath at him but remained silent. Instead she focused on the town, her amazement hidden under almost closed eyes. A place like this had existed? For how long? How long had this place existed??
She glanced at Sendre, who she decided would probably be the one to have a funny expression, something she could laugh at.

Wolfsong

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Kiani surveyed her surroundings, raising an eyebrow. In all of her years, she would have thought she'd have heard something about this. But she'd only ever dreamed something like this was possible. Still, it was disheartening to see how mistrustful and suspicious they were. There was still so much to do before true peace could be achieved.
For once, Kiani understood the need to be cautious and decisive with her words and actions. And so, unlike her usual self, she quietly followed behind Durek, looking back to make sure the others were doing the same.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Cheetah » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:09 am

Sendre took as much in as he could while they walked through the unusual village. It had long since become a habit to do what he'd been trained for so long to do. Scout. He marked every face he saw, storing it in his memory.
All three races watched him suspiciously as he followed along behind the others. He sensed the potential danger this place held. These people were seeking refuge, and were likely to act very aggressively towards any they thought might threaten their fragile security. Sendre kept close to the others in an attempt to not stand out and be easily remembered.
While he was carefully studying his surroundings his eyes caught Hikiera's. She was looking at him as if expecting something and he frowned questioningly in return.
Cheetah

Postby Oddood198 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Durek led them down the stormy streets of the Unnamed City. Anyone they passed or saw watched them with expressions that were not quite hostile, but far from welcoming, and had much fear in them. A single word about this place to an outsider could bring war to their small, peaceful city.
Durek walked down complex, winding streets with confidence, unerring. As he said, he knew the way; he had been here before, some time ago.
Before long, they were standing before perhaps the most unremarkable, unassuming building in the whole city. It had only stone supports, and was otherwise made of packed dirt that had been built up as walls around it, with a simple, worn cloth ceiling. The only unusual thing about the building was it's size; most of the houses they had passed would have had enough room for a small family at the largest, with cramped quarters. But in this building, thirty or so people would be able to crowd in, easily.
Durek paused; he wanted to remind his comrades, before they went into this, that they had to be respectful and cautious. But, he told himself, they weren't children, and they would surely be able to govern themselves without his saying so. With that in mind, he ducked through the doorway into the meek building.

Inside, sitting on small carved chairs, were the three leaders of the Unnamed City; the council seat. On the left was an Elf, strong, battle scarred and wild-looking, but old, with a shoulder cape covering the stump of his lost right arm. In the middle sat an ancient Dwarf, clearly older than anyone else in the room, but still in his prime, as was the Dwarven way. He would stay youthful and strong until his dying days. And on the right sat a Orc woman, perhaps in her thirties, with a scar covering her left eye, her remaining one watched the group enter with little more than curiosity. Two guards stood at the sides of each leader, members of races opposing each leader.
"Ooh, what's this..." The old Dwarf spoke first, squinting in thought as he saw Durek and the other enter.
Durek knelt on one knee and lowered his head, "Council seat of the Unnamed City, I, Durek Shameblade, have returned."
"Ha! I told you he would come crawling back to us!" The Elf cried. "Durek the exile, the Orc who would be king. Fool! Now you come to tell us of your failure and ask for your place here again, yes?"
The Orc lady held up her hand, signalling the Elf to be quiet. "Hush, Mis'tha. Let us hear what our old acquaintance has to say for himself." She turned to Durek with a smirk, "Though, I admit, I very doubt he's come to proclaim his success, either." Se added.
Durek glanced up at the Orc lady, "Always a pleasure, Lady Vivarn." He said tensely. "You are correct as to the matter which brings me here, but I fear you have wrongly assumed my intentions."
Lady Vivarn cocked an eyebrow at him, and Mis'tha snarled, but remained silent. It was again the elder Dwarf that broke the silence, "So then, Durek who would be king, what is it that brings you back to us? Surely you remember the... rather poor terms you left on last time?"
Durek winced, "I do, Lord Martel, but I assure you I have made significant progress i my quest, and I hoped it would be enough to change your minds and aid me." He said. As he feared, the council seat wasn't pleased to see him again, and that would make things difficult.
"And what progress is that, Shamed one?" Mis'tha asked bitingly, "Have you ceased the war? Have you made it safe in the world? Then I see nothing that could change our minds."
"I have unified the races." Durek said. A hush swept over the room, and the council seat struggled to recompose themselves. "Not in full, I confess," Durek hurriedly amended his statement, "But as you can see, I do have members of each race willing to aid me." He stood up and stepped aside, gesturing to his group of allies.
The council seat all looked over Durek's allies, piercing them one by one with their collective stare. Finally, Lady Vivarn spoke to the group, "So, tell me, subjects of the not-yet king, why do you follow this one?" She asked, pointing to Durek. "Are you even aware of his goals? What he intends to do? Surely you must know that following this madman through Kargeth could only lead to your own painful deaths."
Oddood198

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:17 am

Kiani had determined to remain silent, but there was absolutely no reason to believe that that was even remotely feasible. Especially after the outburst these people had made against her new comrade.
Stepping forward to make it known that she was most certainly going to get the first word in, Kiani looked each leader in the eye with her eagle gaze, her eyes meeting those of the dwarf leader the longest. Kiani shook her head, as if the complaints of these wise leaders was the petty quibbling of a group of children. Rummaging in her satchel, she pulled out her wrinkled up potato, holding it casually in her hand as she addressed the council.
"Firstly, I'll have you know that I am not the subject of this vagabond, not until he makes himself a king. And I cannot speak for the others," here Kiani gestured to the rest of the rag-tag group of travelers. "But I follow him because I sense a goodness in his heart. A hope for the races, for the world. One that I do not sense in your cold, unfeeling hearts. You claim to desire to unite the races, and yet those living here do so in fear and wariness, always wondering when they might be snuffed out. Do you truly care for them? It would seem to me that you have no desire, no intent to bring peace to this world. You shame the names of elf, dwarf, and orc, with your calloused, doubtful view of the efforts of one brave enough to face all odds in order to do what you will not.
You speak so boldy, and I see the evidence of much battle and hardship in your lives. But the time for rest has not come. I am 83 years of age, far from young for even a dwarf. And yet I am willing to lend my name, my blade, and my life to the cause of this foolish young orc. How long since you wielded a blade, fired a bow, or raised a shield in the name of freedom and unity? I caution you against scoffing at the efforts of one brave enough to risk his life for not only his people, but for all of your peoples.
I am quite aware of his goals. He intends to do what you will not. He desires to carry the people beyond the meager existence you provide for them. He harbors a bravery that I am not sure one of you can fathom. And that bravery is enough to lead me wherever it may, be it victory or sure death."
Kiani fell silent once again, and placed her potato back in its home. Shaking her head again, Kiani wandered back to the back of the group, mumbling quietly to herself.

OOC: Do what you will with this, people. Though I caution against having anyone address or interact with Kiani, or you're going to have an awkward silence for the next two weeks. Have fun.
ClaecElric4God

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Hikiera grinned at Sendre but said nothing. In fact, all through the council meeting, she said nor did anything, just watched and listened. She was surprised however when a question was suddenly directed at them, herself included.
She studied the questioner with narrowed eyes, feeling a little ticked. Ugh, what a character. Who cared why she was following him? Surely he couldn't do much worse than these idiots, with their "united" village with all the tension. So utterly pathetic!
She almost gave a retort to the point, then recognized that single fact. With all the tension, a single inflammatory remark could bring the whole place down on their ears. So...she needed a different approach, as one would treat the prey one didn't want to surprise...though she felt like playing. So she let the dwarf go first, then spoke up before anyone else.
"Three reasons. First, I was bored. Second..." Leaning over suddenly, she draped a friendly arm over Sendre's shoulder. "He and I were kidnapped by an insane dwarf with this orc. Third.." She smirked at them, a dark glint in her eyes. "Actually, its really none of your business why I choose to do what I do, or follow who I choose to follow. Still, if you really have to have an answer, I followed him because of instinct. That's how I live. Its that simple."
Hmm...potentially inflammatory, but she didn't care. It was, simply, the truth, and if they didn't like it, too bad! She grinned at Sendre, her arm still around his shoulders.

Wolfsong

Postby Cheetah » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:13 am

Kargeth. King? Painful Death!?
Sendre struggled to keep up with the conversation and not appear completely overwhelmed. He managed to compose himself and think up a convincing lie to give these people while the dwarf and the elf gave their own answers.
But his grand speech instantly fled his mind when Hikiera suddenly draped her arm over his shoulders. Sendre stiffened at her unexpected familiarity and instinctively touched his belt, searching for a potion before remembering he was out. He was both terrified and annoyed at the same time and for a moment forgot that he had a question to answer. He forced his attention back to the three leaders and scrambled for something intelligent to say.
"Durek saved my life. I have to repay him before I can go home." He glanced at Hikiera, wondering if he could get away with pointing out it was this elf's blade he'd been saved from. Funny how things had turned out. And, strangely enough, Sendre realized that this statement was true. He really did owe the orc his life and if he wasn't threatening the safety of the orcs then perhaps he was obligated to help him.
"Anyway," he muttered awkwardly, "I don't really know what his goals are, but at least he's not hiding from the world."
Hopefully that challenge would get him some more information and he could better decide who's side he was really on.
Cheetah

Postby Oddood198 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Durek glanced behind him at his comrades as they spoke, sighing inwardly. Each of them was passive-aggressive at the least, and outright challenging at the most. Did they all have no sense of the situation they were in? How easily this council could have them killed for the slightest offense? Still, that did make them the perfect traveling companions for him, didn't it?
The council, for their part, seemed to have nothing to say immediately. Mis'tha glared in open hostility toward them, Lord Martel had his eyes closed thoughtfully, and Lady Vivarn leaned to the side and watched them with a bemused grin. Mis'tha, in his anger, was the first to speak.
"You impudent, flea-bitten, disrespectful vagabond!" He shouted, face red with rage, "You dare to come to our haven, into the seat of our power, and bring these whelps to yap at--"
"Whelps!" Durek exclaimed, feigning laughter as he got up out of his kneeling position, "Whelps, you say? You heard this woman, perhaps," He said, gesturing to Kiani, "when she said she was over eighty years old? I'm only half that and still older than you'll ever be. Heh, even this boy is probably older than you!" He reached back and clapped Sendre on the shoulder. "You're a young lad, Mis'tha, you fail to see the big picture here. You should learn from your betters and take a moment to think before you run that mouth of yours."
Mis'tha looked ready to lunge forward and tear Durek's throat out with his bare hand, but Lord Martel spoke first, projecting hie powerful voice through every corner of the room. "Durek, old fellow, perhaps you and your comrades do not see our reasoning, but we hide ourselves away here, separated from the rest of our people and from the war, simply because Kargeth is not ready for us yet. Our ideals of peace and unity are too far advanced for them, and so we hide ourselves in peace, for the day we can finally emerge and show them the proper way to live."
"But there will not be such a time." Durek said, "I've seen it, while you have been hidden away here for decades, I've seen the wear of the war. All the people of Kargeth are facing complete annihilation. In just a few short years, it will be too late to turn things around and bring peace. The land is running dry and cannot support this war any longer. Soon, there will be no resources left at all and everyone will die."
"Not us." Lady Vivarn put in, "We have crops and livestock here, and even a small water pit. It's the bare minimum to sustain us, but it's enough. We can outlast those fools as they kill each other off, and then we will come out and take the whole of Kargeth for--"
Durek's axe whistled through the air and embedded itself in the dirt wall, inches from Lady Vivarn's head. The Orc lady froze mid-sentence and stared in shock. In an instant, every weapon on the council's side of the room was drawn and pointed at Durek, and Mis'tha was on his feet, hissing.
"See, I was right! We should have killed him the second he dragged his old, grey carcass in here!" The Elf exclaimed.
Durek, what is the meaning of this?!" Lord Martel cried, "You would draw arms in the very heart of Kargeth's greatest peace? Are you seeking to doom yourselves and your company to die where you stand?!"
Durek stared them all down with a cold, determined look in his eyes. "I take it back; I don't need or want your aid." He said in a low, hard voice. "You may have peace in your minds, but it is a warped vision that thinly veils your lust for power." He slowly walked through the midst of the guards who held their weapons inches from him, and pulled his axe out of the wall, replacing it in it's sheath. "I will fill the Black Throne." He said as he walked back to his allies, then paused, casting a glance over his shoulder, "And when that day comes, you will lend your aid to Kargeth. Voluntarily, or out of necessity." He saw genuine fear in the eyes of the council, then he left the building, waving for his comrades to follow him.
On their way through the winding streets of the Unnamed City, Durek paused and leaned against a building. "Well, that was... less successful than I'd hoped." He said.
Oddood198

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Hikiera gollowed Durek out, along with everyone else. It seemed, she thought with wry amusement, that his hoped-for allies were no better thanthe tribes outside. Say what one would, if he was questing for "peace" these were not the allies he wanted.
At Durek's words she snorted openly. "What, you wanted them? Those would be partners you could not trust your back to! Be grateful you saw that before you attempted to put your trust in them!"
That said, she crossed her arms and waited for what would happen next.

Wolfsong

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:38 am

OOC: Psych! You guys thought you were free to run around like madmen in my absence, but my goneness has been cut short (I think?).

"Young Hikiera is right," Kiani chimed in. "You need the help of those old goats like I need a bad case of gout. What made you think you needed their help when you have us is quite beyond me."
Kiani walked up and clapped Durek rather firmly on the back, then grabbed his arm and turned him so he was facing her.
"Now that we've outright challenged them and you've so assertively boasted of your aspirations, we have an obligations to show those snotty brats that we're not all talk. So what exactly do you have planned, now that I've staunchly supported you in the face of ridiculous odds, knowing absolutely nothing about you, your goal, the risks or consequences, or what may or will happen to any of us? The more I think about it, the more I wonder what exactly possessed me to just up and follow you to the ends of the earth for no good reason. If I didn't know better I'd say I'm going senile in my old age."
ClaecElric4God

Postby Cheetah » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 am

Sendre was still annoyed that everyone felt it was alright to touch him now.
Everyone was giving speeches again, much to Sendre's annoyance. He'd said everything he was willing to say already and wasn't in the mood to repeat himself.
He just crossed his arms, gave a neutral grunt and waited to see what Durek decided to do next. He was beginning to wonder just who's side he should take. There were really only three options left at this point.
Either the orc's goal, whatever it might be, was for the good of all races, or he was doing this all for himself and lying to everyone. The third option was probably the most likely, especially considering the older orc's choice of company. He was completely insane.
Cheetah

Postby Oddood198 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Durek was silent, looking at his companions, then he sighed. "You'll have to forgive me for putting you through that meeting." He said finally, "Understand, the last time I was here, they didn't seem so... Unreasonable. I see now it was foolish of me to simply trust them without investigating their own agendas. I apologize."
And on the topic of agendas, now Kiani was asking after his. Durek was silent for several long moments, then he sighed. "Again, I apologize. It's unfair of me to ask you to follow me when all you know is what I want, not why. I should explain everything to you and give you a proper understanding." He paused, taking a moment to look into the eyes of each of his comrades and connect with each of them.
"But I won't. I'm sorry, but I won't tell you why I'm questing for the Throne. Nor will I explain my reasons for wanting to end the war. All I can do is ask you to trust me."

OOC: So... short...
Oddood198

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 am

Kiani raised an eyebrow.
"You do realize that sounds incredibly suspicious, don't you? I'm rather surprised you're batty enough to expect us to continue following you when we have no idea what you're hoping to accomplish, or if your intentions truly are noble, and not simply for glory or power. We're a rag-tag group of individuals from different races taught to hate each other. It's quite by chance and an unlikely set of circumstances that we're all here and not murdering one another in our sleep, let alone that we've decided to support your orc-brained schemes. And now you're asking us to trust you, after we've known you for three days?"
None of Kiani's words were said with a hint of malice. In fact, there was even a humorous light in her eye. Honestly, it was quite funny to her. This was quite a strange orc...
"However, I think it strangest that you think we would need a reason to want to end the war. I couldn't care less why you want to end the war, as long as you want to end it. If you were hoping to become a mastermind and control the war, that would be a different story. But all I care for is an end to all this needless dying, and for these children to be able to live their lives to the fullest, without the fears and pains of war."
Poking a finger in Durek's face, Kiani gave him a firm look.
"I imagine you probably have a devious plan to take over the world and you're simply using us to your advantage. And I'll keep believing that until you prove me wrong. Because frankly I have no reason to trust you at all."
ClaecElric4God

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Hikiera didn't say a thing, not when Durek spoke, not when Kiani spoke. She didn't really trust any of them, she only traveled with them as she'd lost her place in the tribe.
She sighed, feeling depressed and lonely, suddenly. She missed her people, missed how things used to be. She missed when things were simple. Now...now she was in a strange world, where things worked differently. No longer was the world where, if there was a problem, it was one that could be solved through means she understood: physically and definitely. This was different. This was, so far, a battle of things she didn't understand well. Words, morals, consequences of those things played a factor here. She didn't understand these well.
Quietly, she leaned back till she was on the edge of the group, just waiting and listening. Nothing more she could do, she didn't understand these things.

Wolfsong

Postby Cheetah » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Sendre had been about to angrily demand that Durek give them a better answer than that, but after Kiani’s statement he realized how ignorant he would sound. The crazy dwarf was actually right. What difference did Durek’s motives make so long as the end result was peace? If they could actually stop this fighting…
Sendre grinned, realizing how ridiculous a dream that was. They were, as Kiani said, a ragtag band of mixed races thrown together by chance. None of them fully trusted the others as far as he could tell. There really wasn’t any hope of success. But perhaps it was that deep subconscious yearning for something different that managed to hold them together. And maybe just moving in the right direction would be enough, even if they never actually reached the final destination. It was better than where they were now.
Whatever the case was, Sendre was tired of being on edge. He’d kept his guard up for days and felt like he was about to snap any minute. It was a little much for him and he felt it was time to loosen up. Perhaps it was because they’d all faced the elders together that Sendre was finally beginning to feel that they were more than strangers, or chance traveling companions. At least for the moment, they were allies.
Sendre took a moment to stretch out his tense muscles and loosen up.
“Well, are we going to stand around here forever or can we get moving?”
Sendre glanced over at Hikiera. She appeared so solemn and pensive that he couldn’t resist bumping into her roughly. It was something familiar that he would have done with any of his companions, and afterwards he wondered what had possessed him to do it to a crazy elf.
Cheetah

Previous Next

Return to RPGs and Roleplaying