Doctor Who Fans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 am

[spoiler]Lol. Yeah, at first I thought they were actually going to kill him off like THAT and I was thinking, "You've got to be KIDDING ME."

And does anybody actually ever splutter back to life AFTER CPR has been abandoned? *rolles eyes*

I love Rory, but they need to stop killing him off. Fer serious. He's becoming the Daniel Jackson of Doctor Who.[/spoiler]
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu May 12, 2011 6:57 pm

[spoiler]Yeah the last episode was definitely not the best, especially with the CPR cliche, but I did enjoy it. It's Doctor Who, so of course I'll enjoy it. XD

And I'm probably forgetting something that makes this impossible, but... could River be Amy's daughter?[/spoiler]
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Maledicte » Thu May 12, 2011 8:10 pm

I was more annoyed at the inaccuracies of pirate/seafaring life. Walking the plank was hardly done, if ever! DX Weak episode, overall.

[spoiler] But who the heck was that updo'ed lady in the disappearing window??[/spoiler]
Maledicte

Postby Ella Edric » Thu May 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1478415) wrote:[Spoiler]Yeah, I thought the flow of the episode suffered quite a bit. There were certain scenes that I really enjoyed (namely, Rory gushing after being hit with the siren's song, as well as the Doctor finding the TARDIS on the ship XDD), but Rory dying all of the time has turned into something of a joke, quite literally. XD I've seen SO many memes and jokes about Rory dying so often in the last week--this being my favorite: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll0h2k8L3n1qbgimpo1_500.jpg . XD[/spoiler]

Anyways, I found the episode enjoyable, though certainly not the best. XD I am definitely excited for this week's Neil Gaiman episode, though!

ROFLOL!!! Rad, that pic SERIOUSLY cracked me up!! ahahahaha!
[Spoiler]And yeah, I kinda agree with everyone. That wasn't the best DW ep. ever, but hey, I got some laughs and enjoyed it![/spoiler]
[color="LightBlue"]"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." --Thomas Jefferson [/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Pink"]~Proud member(and starter), of the sisterhood of CAA.~ [/color][/font]
[color="YellowGreen"]Furen: Without you Canada would be feeling bad. we'd all be depressed [/color]
CognitiveGear 07:08 - I hear that Jesus is a pretty rad dude who teaches us to love everyone.
[color="Silver"]Midknight74012 09:04 - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine[/color]
[color="Red"]@)}~`,~[/color] [color="SeaGreen"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]This is MOES[/color]:dance:
Ella Edric

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat May 14, 2011 7:23 pm

So I dunno about you guys, but I kind of loved tonight's episode. XD

[spoiler]I LOVED seeing the TARDIS with a voice and a body. XD The parts with her were fantastic; I loved getting to see her and the Doctor interact in person. XD Also, I swear Rory's death has become the biggest joke of all time. XD Amy shouldn't even get upset anymore, seriously. XD Either way, I thought it was a pretty strong episode over all![/spoiler]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nami » Mon May 16, 2011 6:45 am

Sounds like it was good. XDD I can't wait to see it.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby K. Ayato » Mon May 16, 2011 9:33 am

I thought it was kinda funny in that [spoiler]the personification of the TARDIS sent psychic messages to Rory rather than Amy.[/spoiler] Nice to see he's getting more development :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby bigsleepj » Mon May 16, 2011 10:44 am

This is not Doctor Who related directly, but I did not want to create a thread for it... but it does involve David Tennant.

Now that I have your attention...

Fright Night was a popular but now somewhat forgotten movie from the 80s, a horror movie where a fan of classic vampire movies realizes his new next-door neighbour is a vampire, but naturally no one believes him. He attempts to enlist the help of a fallen actor who spends time introducing horror films on TV.

They've remade the movie and its due out later this year. David Tennant has the role of the 'old man', who here is a Goth stage magician, like a cross between Rob Zombie and David Copperfield. See his first photo here:
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby battletech » Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 pm

In the last episode I think they gave something away.
[spoiler]The Doctor was talking about another Time Lord. How the Time Lord some times was a woman. This made me think that maybe that little girl in a earlier episode might be The Doctor after his death.[/spoiler]
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon May 16, 2011 4:27 pm

battletech (post: 1479338) wrote:In the last episode I think they gave something away.
[spoiler]The Doctor was talking about another Time Lord. How the Time Lord some times was a woman. This made me think that maybe that little girl in a earlier episode might be The Doctor after his death.[/spoiler]

That was an interesting tidbit wasn't it?
But....
[spoiler]I was under the impression that she was Amy's daughter. [/spoiler]
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon May 16, 2011 7:31 pm

I loved this episode. XD
[spoiler]The TARDIS as a person was hilarious.
The Doctor: "Do you have a name?"
TARDIS: "Well sometimes... you call me 'sexy'."[/spoiler]
And I thought this exchange was pretty clever:
[spoiler]The Doctor: "You can't archive something that doesn't exist yet!"
TARDIS: "Well, you can't."[/spoiler]

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 am

So glad I didn't read the spoilers before I watched the episode. XD

[spoiler]I loved that the TARDIS thought Rory was the pretty one. XD It's an understandable mistake, though. ;D

Also, Rory died AGAIN?! That is no less than 3 out of 4 episodes this season that either faked his death or killed him outright. How ridiculous is that?! Seriously, we're up to, what, half of the episodes he's in in which he actually dies? XD

The TARDIS as a person is the most awesomely creative idea. I thought it was a bit dubious when I learned the episode was called "The Doctor's Wife." My mind jumped to all sorts of Mary Sue-ish conclusions. I'm soooo glad I was wrong. I love that SHE stole HIM. XD Giving the TARDIS a voice and a face was so glorious! The thing is, the episode was just too short! There were so many awesome ideas and everything, but they were so rushed! It could easily have been a very satisfying two-parter.[/spoiler]

This actually made an immediate debut into my top ten favorite Doctor Who episodes of all time. So good. ^_^
Yuki-Anne

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 17, 2011 2:23 pm

I found this theory on The Interwebs today; I think it's pretty interesting. XD

[SPOILER]"You know this confusing thing?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkvdon8a6z1qb57r7.gif

Yeah, the thing that’s been dubbed “Shrodinger’s Uterus”.

My friend has a theory about what’s going on.

Amy has Silent technology in her.

That’s why the scanner thinks there’s something in her and reads positive, forgets and reads negative, thinks there’s something in her and reads positive, forgets and reads negative.

She’s pregnant, but the scanner can’t remember because the Silence did something to her."
[/spoiler]

Thoughts? It makes a lot of sense that it would have something to do with that. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Interesting but...

[spoiler]That would require that silents tech works on the TARDIS matrix, which is a verrry scary thought

And as to Rory's uh omnipresent mortality, all I can think of is the kid from South Park going "They killed [s]Kenny[/s] Rory"

and I don't even watch south park.[/spoiler]
MomentOfInertia

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue May 17, 2011 6:21 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer (post: 1479575)"]

[SPOILER]“Shrodinger’s Uterusâ€
Yuki-Anne

Postby rocklobster » Wed May 18, 2011 4:08 am

Btw, did you folks know there are audio dramas to download at iTunes? I just downloaded one myself.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sat May 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Two weeks? TWO WEEKS!! Really. That long. This is going to be torture.

[spoiler]And for once, Rory didn't die. I wonder if he'll get a ganger to do it for him?[/spoiler]
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat May 21, 2011 7:16 pm

[spoiler]1. Gangers are creepy.
2. Doctor Ganger is also creepy.
3. I'm really looking forward to part 2!
4. I want to know more about Amy's maybe-pregnancy and this woman through a window that she keeps seeing!
5. This episode is really reminiscent, theme-wise, of The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood from series 5.
6. Rory is making jokes about dying all the time, and that is fantastic. XD
7. Rory didn't die this time! HUZZAH.[/spoiler]

Looking forward to the next episode!

Radical Dreamer

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat May 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Kung_Fu_Master (post: 1480426) wrote:Two weeks? TWO WEEKS!! Really. That long. This is going to be torture.

[spoiler]And for once, Rory didn't die. I wonder if he'll get a ganger to do it for him?[/spoiler]

Heh, maybe. Me though
[spoiler] I'm looking forward to/hoping for some good scenes of the Doctor talking to himself[/spoiler]

Grrr two weeks!:bang:

Edit-(ninja'd): Plus seconding everything RD said.
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat May 21, 2011 7:35 pm

WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT TWO WEEKS ARGH.
[spoiler]Do you suppose it was the Doctor's Ganger in the first episode that died, rather than the real Doctor? Or maybe not this specific Ganger, but later he makes another one...?

I just have a hard time believing he really died in that episode. >_>;[/spoiler]
And ditto what RD said. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Okay, I realize lots of you probably watch this show via BBC America, so if you do, DO NOT read the following spoilers. XD The BBC is a week ahead of America now, so this following spoiler post is NOT about The Almost People, but A Good Man Goes to War. However, if you're keeping up with the show via other methods aside from BBCA and you've already seen this week's latest episode, FEEL FREE TO FREAK OUT WITH ME.

[SPOILER]OMGGGGGGG. So River IS Amy's daughter! Even though I'd fully considered that theory, it STILL blew me away when they revealed it (also LOL FOREVER at the Doctor, oh my goodness XDD). XD I LOVE how they did it though, oh my gosh. XD

Also can I just say that I absolutely adore the character they've made out of Rory? I love how they've developed his character, and I love how they've developed his relationship with Amy, to the point where every time you think she's talking about the Doctor, she's actually talking about him. XD

Speaking of Rory, I feel like I need to go back several River episodes and note her interactions with him. Had they interacted at all before this point, aside from The Big Bang in series 5? She just seemed unusually affectionate towards him at the start of this episode. Then again, that may have been the first time River HAD seen him in a very long time, given the timestream mixup, so perhaps not. XD Just something I was thinking through. XD

Also I loved how this episode reintroduced all sorts of characters from series 5 and 6 alike. XD I'm glad they redeemed the reptilian girl (I forget her name/species) from The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood. Anyways. SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS EPISODE, I CAN'T EVEN. XD[/SPOILER]

Also, if series 5 hadn't done it (which it did), series 6 would've COMPLETELY cinched this for me: how does ANYONE dislike Moffat's writing style and/or what he's brought to this show? I swear, everything that man writes for this show is fabulous. XD I seriously cannot wait until this show starts back up again in the fall. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 am

Wait, how were you able to watch it?

I buy the eps on itunes, so I'm getting them on BBCA's schedule. :(
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:28 am

Oh, and, also, sorry to double-post, but I just found this BRILLIANT artist who does Doctor Who fanart on DA. Seriously talented.

http://girl-on-the-moon.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d346dlv

And... we may be behind RD (for reasons I find suspect :eyebrow:) but let's at least talk about "The Almost Humans"... specifically...

[spoiler]1. I totally called the Doc and his Ganger switching. They didn't make it too obvious but at the same time it just made soo much sense, so I figured it out almost instantly. There's no way the real Doctor would be so blase about Amy treating his Ganger so badly.

2. HOLY FREAKING CRAP THAT ENDING. I mean... HOLY FREAKING CRAP. Amy was Flesh all along. Never, NEVER would have guessed that! XD[/spoiler]
Yuki-Anne

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:41 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1482969) wrote: However, if you're keeping up with the show via other methods aside from BBCA and you've already seen this week's latest episode, FEEL FREE TO FREAK OUT WITH ME.
Thank you, I will! 8D
But before that....
Also, if series 5 hadn't done it (which it did), series 6 would've COMPLETELY cinched this for me: how does ANYONE dislike Moffat's writing style and/or what he's brought to this show? I swear, everything that man writes for this show is fabulous. XD I seriously cannot wait until this show starts back up again in the fall. XD
Oh, you're not going to like me. XD]I was a bit sad my theory about River was not true, but this one is rather nice as well and I can see where Moffat might take it to make it fit with everything else. I'm rather calm now, but at the time after the episode, I was freaking out. XD; Saying I hated and loved Moffat at the same time. Good stuff, though. I'm glad we finally resolved at least that. I find myself liking River more as a character (before, I did not like her at all)

Except, Moffat used the cheap cop-out of somehow making River part Timelord because she was born in the Tardis. Umm, yeah, no. While I understand it was essential to the story (Melody getting kidnapped and all), I think he could have pulled something a tad more believable. The idea that anyone can become a Timelord that way makes the Doctor seem less fantastic. Or, I dunno, maybe that's what Moffat wants. In which case, this is going to be a short finish to the epic TV show that's lasted 50+ years.

Another cop out was that the Doctor's anger seemed forced that episode. There was no real build up (beyond maybe an "imagined" build up, I suppose). Comparison: the Doctor's anger in the season finale of the 4th series. My gosh, his TARDIS and his companion was being burned before his eyes and even then his anger wasn't at its peak until he let it boil for a while and Davros rubbed it in his face.
I think both Moffat and Matt could have done better.

Rory is probably the best male companion the Doctor ever had. He even beats out many of the female companions. Many would be upset, but I say we ditch Amy and just keep Rory. Except we can't do that for obvious reasons, but still. XD;

Overall, beyond the River Song spoiler, it was a semi-anti-climatic finale. But the ending was quite hopeful, so I look forward to the next season. ^_^ [/spoiler]

*proceeds to dodge the rotten vegetables being thrown at her*
goldenspines

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:53 pm

That wasn't the season finale, it was part 1 of a 2 parter... the season Finale will be in November or something. They split the season in half for some reason.

Edit: Girl on the moon has a brilliantly funny comic and great fanart. d-(o.o) Thanks for the link Anne!

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:24 pm

[spoiler]I sorta predicted who River was... I wasn't anywhere near sure, but the possibility of her being Amy's daughter crossed my mind... Wow, I feel clever. O.O

In this episode, I liked the green lizard lady (her name escapes me DX). I really liked how she and the Doctor interacted: as good friends. Is that odd of me? XD

And I really, really liked Rory being awesome. 8D Because normally he's not so... assertive?[/spoiler]
So yeah, definitely looking forward to the show's return 'late summer 2011'. ^o^

And I also thank Yuki-Anne for the link to Girl on the Moon's DA. Her art's amazing.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Part 2 is set for September, specific date to be announced.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:19 pm

K. Ayato (post: 1484550) wrote:Part 2 is set for September, specific date to be announced.

Huh, it said "late summer" in the teaser after the episode last night. At least, I thought it did.

But I just looked into it further, and you are correct.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:28 pm

goldenspines (post: 1484476) wrote:[spoiler]I was a bit sad my theory about River was not true, but this one is rather nice as well and I can see where Moffat might take it to make it fit with everything else. I'm rather calm now, but at the time after the episode, I was freaking out. XD]

*proceeds to dodge the rotten vegetables being thrown at her*

[spoiler]You are right in that Rory is awesome. You are wrong about not having Amy. You are right about it being a bit anti-climatic and are right in still liking it.

On the topic of River being part Timelord, while I have nothing against it. I agree that it's "wuh". But I can't say it doesn't have a foundation, Amy had the whole universe poured into her head BEFORE she was a time traveler, and Rory's a time traveler that's not existed, then existed again as plastic. That's a whole lot of timey whinny energy.

And as for The Doctor's anger I think it fits, he's just been played and someones died right in front of him just to get to him and suddenly River pops up all smiles and banter. Matt's a good actor, but this is the second episode that's made me say that out loud.

[/spoiler]
Solid Ronin

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Okay, FINALLY...

[spoiler]I called it. Did I not call it? I need to go back and check.

*checks page 6*

Yup. I called the little girl as River, and I called the baby being a Timelord. Win. And even though I totally called it I did not find it predictable. This rocks.

Rory is the BEST, but I don't agree that he would be better without Amy, because his love for Amy is what makes him so freaking awesome. I pretty much melted when he walked in with the baby (even if it was fake). That. Was. Amazing. I think except for Donna Noble he is my FAVORITE companion. And right now he's kind of tied with Donna for favorite.

I agree that Tennant's Doctor did angry better, and I do agree that was from the writing. They built up the Doctor's angry, scary side REALLY well for #10. They're treating it like it's very much established here, I think. I don't know, I think Matt's doctor is too lovable, innocent, and sweet to be as fully convincing as Tennant's when it comes to dark and scary. Not that 10 wasn't lovable and sweet when he wanted to be but his personality was stronger and more bombastic, so it worked to his advantage. Matt's can be rather too absent-minded. This is the second time 11 has been massively duped. I'm trying to remember how many times (save poorly written standalone episodes) that 10 was trapped or tricked. I think it's not working to the advantage of the character that the prevailing story lines involve him being completely bamboozled. It has one of two effects: either his enemies are very, very clever, or he's just not paying enough attention. I think it comes across as both.

But even so, I think Matt was still magnificent, especially with the Colonel Runaway bit. XD

...I don't remember most of the people who showed up in this episode. Which is fine if they introduced new characters for this, it makes plenty of sense that the doctor has saved more people than they have episodes for. But how many of these characters are actually from former episodes? I remember seeing the blue guy before, but I don't recall the Doctor saving him at any point. And I don't think the Lizard woman actually was someone we've seen before. And if she was, why on earth was she back in 1880?[/spoiler]

Edit: One more thing...

[spoiler] I need to go back and watch River's first episodes to figure out why she didn't regenerate. It's been too long since I watched them, and I need to figure out if it actually fits with the writing, because I doubt they knew they were going to take the character in this direction when they introduced her.[/spoiler]
Yuki-Anne

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment