Google+

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Google+

Postby SnoringFrog » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:16 pm

So, who else is in? What do you think of it so far? Also, who wants in (you'll have to PM me an email address so I can get you the invite)
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:43 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]A friend of mine from school got me in and so far, it's okay. I guess because at present he's my ONLY friend on Google+, but I like the features and it looks a little cleaner than Facebook. The app for Android is really nice too.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:01 am

What is it? Not Facebook.
What's it like? Facebook.

They'll have to do something special to make the masses take notice of a new social network...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:31 am

So far my Google+ timeline has been friends at Google arguing with friends at Facebook about which is better.
blkmage

Postby TheMewster » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:02 am

I found a clause in the Google universal terms and conditions saying you have to be of legal age to form a contract with google in order to use ANY of their services, including the search engine and YouTube. For me, continuing to use them now would be lying, and lying is a sin, so I've quit google, meaning I won't be on Google+.

But God bless you guys and good luck there!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Okami » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:25 am

TheMewster (post: 1489257) wrote:I found a clause in the Google universal terms and conditions saying you have to be of legal age to form a contract with google in order to use ANY of their services, including the search engine and YouTube. For me, continuing to use them now would be lying, and lying is a sin, so I've quit google, meaning I won't be on Google+.

But God bless you guys and good luck there!

Also note, "1.5 If there is any contradiction between what the Additional Terms say and what the Universal Terms say, then the Additional Terms shall take precedence in relation to that Service." (Source) A quick look at the TOS of Youtube says nothing about having to be of legal age.

Back on-topic, I'm still looking into the details of Google+ myself...I've long been off from facebook, and I'm not sure yet if I'm really interested in yet another social network. :sweat: Twitter is enough for now, as I continue to do research.
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby Xeno » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:41 am

I'm kind of sick and tired of the whole social network thing. I've done MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, and all that jazz, and canceled all of them. I just don't enjoy merging my entire real life with the internet, I enjoy the separation, and social networking removes it. So for now, I'll stay away from Google+, because sharing mundane information such as what I'm eating for lunch or that-guy-I-just-walk-by-in-the-mall-with-the-faux-pas-shoes just isn't that important.
Xeno

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:57 am

That's kind of ironic, considering the basic idea behind Google+ is the separation of social circles.
blkmage

Postby Xeno » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 am

blkmage (post: 1489399) wrote:That's kind of ironic, considering the basic idea behind Google+ is the separation of social circles.

Upon further reading I redact my previous post. This is Google we are talking about. I simply should have expected a better solution from them than anything we've seen before.
Xeno

Postby firestorm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:23 pm

can someone get me in so I can try it?
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Firestorm, if you PM me your email I can try to get you in. The invites have all been hit and miss lately since the workaround doesn't always work and I'm not seeing an invite button on my account, but I'll give it a shot.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
SnoringFrog

Postby Xeno » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Yeah, what I got just told me to keep trying back from time to time. Thanks.
Xeno

Postby shooraijin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

It seems clever, but it doesn't significantly elevate itself above Facebook for my use (and I despise Facebook). Still, I'm willing to give it a chance, even if it simply ends up being another endpoint for my Twitter posts.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:42 pm

I won't be using this in place of Facebook, but I will say from what I've seen of it, it's got a LOT more useful features than FB does. For example, Facebook doesn't have a way to easily go "I want my family members to see this post, but not my other friends or random passersby who come to my page." The whole social circle thing Google+ has is tremendously helpful in that regard.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 pm

A good piece on the subject from an unusual perspective. a webcomic writer who likes the ability to differentiate between his fans, work friends, social friends, and family.
Here

As for me, I haven't done any social network type sites so, I don't think I will at this point but in the future I'll probably go with this. I like the way it seems to let you separate online/offline friends, fandoms, coworkers, etc.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 am

I much prefer a online forum and chatroom over Facebook and Google+. No one likes my "status" no matter how awesome it is. Plus, there's no one to chat with.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby firestorm » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 am

Just got on g+ yesterday! (G+ is what I call it. Much simpler and better sounding then Google + I think) Thanks to goldy and SnoringFrog for the invites! I must say it has alot of potential,and there are definately things that set it apart from fb. (The circles really give flexibility to who you want to share stuff with, for example not wanting to share that rant about your boss with your friends in the "Working friends" circle. it's alot easier to do that here then on facebook.)

Also, can't wait til more people get on there so I can try it's "hangout" and "huddle" features (I have the g+ app on my phone).

Overall I like it. I'm just bored cause not so many people have jumped the bandwagon yet.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:23 pm

firestorm, are you the one who added me to a huddle? I noticed an email about that but haven't gotten back on G+ today. Doesn't help that I'm getting added to circles left and right from another forum where I sent out 20-30 invites to people lol. I don't know anyone's real names anywhere so I'm always lost when people from forums add me lol
SnoringFrog

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 am

I'm on it! :)
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Xeno » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:11 am

It finally let me get signed up. So I'm trying to find people on it that I actually know.
Xeno

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 am

First impression: It's like Facebook only less cluttered and faster.

Less clutter, my friends. That equals winning in my book.

Also, no ads. \o.o/

But after further use, G+ does have some nice, shiny features; most of which I still need to test out (i.e Huddles, hangouts, creating new circles, picture and video posting, etc.).
Plus, if you use Google as your home page, G+ is quite easy to get to from there, as well as quick to see notifications or messages.
goldenspines

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:43 am

I think my favorite thing is how EASY it is to manage friends on it, compared to Facebook.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am

I left Facebook and I don't use Twitter. I'm on tumblr, but tumblr makes it difficult to actually TALK to people, so I'm starting to get kind of tired of it. What I find funny about "social networking" is how little of the "social" part there seems to be. Maybe Google+ will change that? I dunno.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 pm

I havn't tried to talk to anyone on G+ yet, mostly because I only started yesterday. Facebook's chat system drives me up a wall though and at this point I'm about to consider nearly anything better than it.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Wait, do people actually use Facebook chat? All of my friends just talk through comments and stuff, which essentially makes it kind of like threaded twitter.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 pm

I know some people that use it exclusively for chat, or run chats with the group membership for a club. The club thing is the worst part because I can't find a way to turn the darn thing OFF. Some groups I'm just in because I'm interested in their updates not talking to every single person that's online for that group at any given time. =.=

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Furen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 pm

blkmage (post: 1490736) wrote:Wait, do people actually use Facebook chat? All of my friends just talk through comments and stuff, which essentially makes it kind of like threaded twitter.

Yes they do, actually, the longest lived things with me on Facebook is Chats because we're both there, and most people don't talk to me on facebook, though I've had longer talks with other CAA members on facebook than most of my other friends.

I haven't got into the beta yet, though I did send frog a pm, so we'll see if I'm able to get in XD
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:34 pm

I use FB almost entirely for it's chat. Or to try and keep up with people I don't get to talk to irl much by following their statuses.

Also, for anyone who adds me on G+, it'd be awesome if you let me know where you're from. I've got a ton of people adding me from a few different forums and since I don't know anyone's real names it's really confusing trying to figure out who's who.
SnoringFrog

Postby Furen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Alright, I like this better than Facebook, they've designed it much better, and I like the stumble upon thing, though I don't have a web cam yet, so that'd be suckish if someone had a camera and I saw them and they didn't see me... XD

and I'll add anyone on CAA here, but try to let me know you know me from CAA or even PM me here, I'm slow at accepting them otherwise (like poor makachop on facebook)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:57 pm

mm...
Seems to me, Google is just finding more ways to get information on people. It's almost like privacy invasion, except that people are willing to give away tons of info about themselves.
You do realize that Google saves all of your searches (with your I address for each of them) mostly for advertising purchases. But they have no intention of ever deleting them despite the fact that most people will stop loose interest over time in what they are being advertised. So why does Google keep every single search? Hm... Somewhere I read about the C.E.O.'s snobby attitude towards digital privacy, but sadly I can't remember if the article was from IEEE or ArsTechnica. (the same article is how I found out about the search save, if that tells you anything.) Maybe the writers are biased, but I do have to start questioning Google's motives given how many free services they are giving people (esp. services that already exist in other places).

So I'm a privacy freak. So what. I'm still on social networking sites, just not those belonging to Google.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Next

Return to Computing and Links