A New Website for Creative Writers -currently in development-

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

A New Website for Creative Writers -currently in development-

Postby WorldsTraveler » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:32 pm

Edit:

Thank you to those who have responded! Your feedback has been helpful. Updates will continue to be posted in this thread.

-

Do you love to write? Is your head filled with stories you have to tell?

In January I will be unveiling a new website devoted to helping creative writers enrich their storytelling ability, attract new readers, and publish successfully online. This is a professional project that has been in the works for a year, and I’m so excited that it’s almost ready to show you.

But before we launch, I need your help!

I want to tailor this site to writers just like you - to make sure it is the most helpful, informative, supportive place it can be. I would love to have your suggestions! To that end, I’ve made this easy questionnaire to discover your preferences as a writer. What have you always wished for in a writing site? Now’s your chance to make it happen!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XTSDVFB

It’s 9 short questions and will take you less than 5 minutes. I’d appreciate it so much if you would take it, and even forward it to other writers you know!

-

To CAA members, I’m open to any questions and suggestions you may have.

Especially specifics like:

• What do you feel most writing sites online are lacking?
• Are there any story elements you’d like to see covered, but you can’t find guides on?
• What do you, as a writer, struggle with most?

And anything else you’d like to request. Your opinions are most appreciated.

Thank you!
Last edited by WorldsTraveler on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WorldsTraveler

Re: Now is your chance to create the best writing site EVER

Postby firestorm » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Maybe network with some accomplished writer's to find out why think like to write or what do they do when they write? you know like stuff we can learn from them. interviews! I'm interested in the world building stuff and character stuff and I am wondering if you'll be using any stuff from the Hero's Journey for any articles. :)
Last edited by firestorm on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
firestorm

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby WorldsTraveler » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:58 pm

firestorm wrote:Maybe network with some accomplished writer's to find out why think like to write or what do they do when they write? you know like stuff we can learn from them. interviews! :)

Ooh, I like that idea! If you could ask your favorite/most admired writers any three questions, what would they be?

firestorm wrote:I'm interested in the world building stuff and character stuff and I am wondering if you'll be using any stuff from the Hero's Journey for any articles.

Ah, just caught your edit! I’m a big fan of the Hero’s Journey system – The Writer’s Journey is one of the most referenced books on my shelf. I love playing around with the system and applying it in various ways… following it to the letter or seeing what changes I can get away with! It’ll probably be a frequent mention in the articles, as it is the system I know best and am most comfortable with.
WorldsTraveler

Postby firestorm » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm

WorldsTraveler wrote:
firestorm wrote:Maybe network with some accomplished writer's to find out why think like to write or what do they do when they write? you know like stuff we can learn from them. interviews! :)

Ooh, I like that idea! If you could ask your favorite/most admired writers any three questions, what would they be?

I know it seems odd, but I actually don't read that much XD. I love high concept stuff.

Also Just wanted to know how the project/website is going?
firestorm

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby WorldsTraveler » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Yeah, I can understand that. I do hours of book research each season and may only come up with a handful of books I’m actually excited to read. Most modern novels aren’t intricate or creative enough for my tastes. I think manga and anime have spoiled me. ^_^;

Thank you for checking in! Unfortunately, the survey did not go as well as I had hoped. I showed the results to my business partner and she pointed out that I still had a great big hole in my marketing. (Eek! What every website developer wants to hear, right? XD)

In short, I’m having trouble pinning down my ideal market. I know that I want to target fantasy writers who are aiming to reach a professional level, but I can’t seem to find the ‘serious’ people. You know, the ones that are truly devoted to actively improving their work? Instead, I keep running into hobbyists who are happy at their current level, or small-time professionals who are more concerned with turning out books than improving their craft.

Until I can find my ideal market and find out what they want and need, I can’t complete the site. (I don’t subscribe to the ‘build it and they will come’ theory.) So the website (the actual site, the branding, and the content) are half-finished and on hold while I rethink everything.

My sincere apologizes to anyone who was excitedly waiting for the site launch. (I was pretty excited for it too, aha!) I will update this thread when I have something to release to the public. In the meantime, I’m still absolutely open to help! (Basically, if you’re a creative writer who wants to improve their writing, get in here and talk to me! XD)

Thanks again for asking – I appreciate the extra motivation. ^_^
WorldsTraveler

Re: A New Website for Creative Writers -currently in development-

Postby firestorm » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Well I would say take a look back and analyze the major problem.

First pray and ask the Lord to give you wisdom on what he wants you to do and how to do it. He'll lead you in the right direction and most likely a new way to look at it. Pray. Seek Him. Fast. Do whatever you need to do to seek the Lord and get it done.

Also, Step back and analyze it, Look at the bigger picture. One thing I'd ask is "How do I find the audience that's seeking my services I'm providing?" "Is your major audience fantasy writers?" "Or are you looking for people who are looking to improve their craft? Do you think you'd be able to find some if you stretch your reach beyond fantasy a bit.? I'm sure there are romance writers that would like to hone their craft too. See what the macro problem is rather than the micro problem. The micro problem "might be what can I do to fine this audience that fits my ideal audience" But the macro problem might be "How do I find an audience that are seeking my services? Who are they?"

As far as the audiences you've found maybe find a way to create the culture of improving craft that your focusing on. For example for the hobbyists, they might be content but there might be somethings they want to improve on. For example, if i'm a rper, I might be content in my skills, but I'd be inclined to read on how to give my OC depth. Maybe make it fun for them to learn. For the small-time professional see what you can do with helping turning out books that can help them improve their craft. Give articles about publications and interview editors and ask them what they look for when they are reading a novel inspection, what they expect, and What are the things that writers need to know before turning in a book for publication, like what editors WANT writers to improve on before they turn in a book for publication and what will more likely get them published. This will get their attention and really think about working on things. And create a culture where The more experienced small time professionals can support the less experience hobbyists and vice-versa. Cover all the bases of working on a book from spark of idea to publication and create levels. Create a culture where the writers support each other and encourage each other to keep one going. Where they can connect with each other and support each other, helping each other to push harder. See how you can Create the culture you're looking for and see how you can get that done.

Also, Look at other examples of websites who had similar goals to yours and see how they did it. Naniwrimo comes to mind as a good example to study. Look at their example, their structure, their culture, and see how they made that happen, and research about it. Learn their marketing structure, their mission statement, everything about them and see why they were successful in reaching the goals they achieved. By seeing how others did it it helps you to know several things. 1. That they did it successfully which means what your seeking can be done successfully in the real world, 2. It gives your business partner an Idea and assurance it can be done which adds to your case when your are looking for funding. 3. You can learn how they did so now you have a starting point for you're own structure. Look at several case studies not just one. Every site you know of that can be a successful case to you about that it can be done successfully realistically gives you Ideas on how it could be done helps you in learning how to do and just builds your case when your doing proposals to your business partner or others when seeking funds. Create a plan of how you plan to do all of this realistically then find case studies that prove your case. :)

I hope this helps. I'm taking production classes this semester so we're learning a lot about the preproduction phase of films which including getting funds, finding an audience, researching case studies of businesses and or productions that had similar goals to mines that have succeeded, and other things, so if you need anything let me know! hope you have a wonderful night! God bless! Jesus loves ya! God loves ya!

from,
FS
firestorm

Return to Writing