What Manga are you reading?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Elric_kun » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:48 pm

reading FMA and Galaxy Angel vol. 3 ^^
Elric_kun

Postby Ducky » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:39 pm

Juvenile Orion volume one... sooo many pretty bishies! and the publisher being brocoli books cracks me up :lol:!
Ducky

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:12 pm

Hey, Ducky, be wary that there is some nudity in volume--um, three? I think that's right. Well, there's nudity in atleast one volume. Furthermore, there's some sorta *bleh* voilence in it. That may not really matter to you, but I totally didn't see it coming when I read the first volume.

But regardless of content-- they are gorgeous aren't they?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:15 pm

I'm kind of in the middle of the Trigun series--my library got volume 1 in recently, but as far as I know they don't have number 2. ...My library needs to stock more manga...
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Kireihana » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:28 pm

Well I was reluctant to join in the Fruits Basket craze, (I don't know why; I just like going against the grain - I'm so weird sometimes) but I finally bought the first two volumes, and fell in love with it. I immediately rushed out and bought the 3rd one and can't wait to buy the 4th. So that's basically the main series I'm reading right now.

I'm also awaiting volume 6 of Rurouni Kenshin, and might buy vol. 2 of Comic Party but it's kind of at the bottom of my list; the first one was only OK. And I've been desperatly searching for volume 1 of .hack//Legend of the Twighlight, but all the stores seem to have is vol. 2. I even visited a store that had more anime and manga merchandise than you can shake a stick at, and one girl got the last copy right before I did. >.<
Kireihana

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:55 pm

Go fruits basket! It conquers all in its path. Bwa ha ha ha!!! I'm glad you liked it. I read volume one of Kenshin. I really didn't like it-- but my sister wanted to read it. So I had to check it out. Love can make us do some pretty boring things. (Please, someone tell me it gets better after volume one!!! I'm gonna have to read this before her?)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:14 pm

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:I'm kind of in the middle of the Trigun series--my library got volume 1 in recently, but as far as I know they don't have number 2. ...My library needs to stock more manga...

Wow-your library actually has manga? Be happy that it has any at all then because mine has none...so sad for me :(
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:16 pm

Yeah, dittos on that one Indigo.

Mangafanatic

Postby Ducky » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:06 pm

yuppers... pretty bishies... thanks for the heads up about vol. 3 since my bookstore only had vol. 1 I guess it'll be a while till I get there though, violence isn't a biggy for me considering I can barely follow it in manga anyhow :lol:

anyway I think the next one I'm reading is dragon hunter it said 13+ so I figure it's pretty safe I've only looked at the first few panels though.
Ducky

Postby Kireihana » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:37 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:I read volume one of Kenshin. I really didn't like it-- but my sister wanted to read it. So I had to check it out. Love can make us do some pretty boring things. (Please, someone tell me it gets better after volume one!!! I'm gonna have to read this before her?)

I like it; though I personally don't think it's quite as funny as the anime, and the humor is part of what makes Kenshin so endearing. I didn't like volume one as much as the others because Sano isn't in it (until the end), and Sano's one of the best characters and evokes a lot of the humor in the series. But you seem to be more into shoujo, from what I can tell, so maybe Kenshin just isn't your thing? The best person to ask would be Mave as I believe she's read the whole series.
Kireihana

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:59 pm

Currently reading Hellsing book 3 and Samurai Deeper Kyo Book 7.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:05 pm

What's Samurai Deeper Kyo about?

Mangafanatic

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:16 pm

kyo . . ... dunno...

Umm I am reading Alice 19th, It is actually pretty good though it errs on the side of shoujo. A LOT of betrayal, almost romance, and idiot guys. . . . yeah but other than that, it's main message is the power of Words.
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:33 am

*mangafanatic pulls out her cross and garlic* D--don't get that near me. I might----want to--- read it. *runs screaming from the thread*

I don't know how far you are into Alice the 19th, but I thought I'd just give you a bit of a heads up. Towards the end of Unrequited Love, there's several pages of rather detailed nude Mayura and Alice. That's when I stopped reading it, so there could be more to it than that. Just a friendly warning.

Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:46 am

Mangafanatic wrote:*mangafanatic pulls out her cross and garlic* D--don't get that near me. I might----want to--- read it. *runs screaming from the thread*

I don't know how far you are into Alice the 19th, but I thought I'd just give you a bit of a heads up. Towards the end of Unrequited Love, there's several pages of rather detailed nude Mayura and Alice. That's when I stopped reading it, so there could be more to it than that. Just a friendly warning.

There is? All I read were volumes 1 and 2, and then I've read regular translations without scans online for volume 3. What volume does it happen in? I don't remember any detailed nudity in it, but it's been a while since I read them. Can you fill me in?
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:06 am

If I'm not mistaken, it happens in Unrequited Love which is volume three.

What happened? Well, Alice is taking a shower and the possessed Mayura slips in with her and attacks her. Then Kyo and (I think) Frey come to her rescue. This whole ordeal takes somewhere near ten pages, and both Alice and Mayura are both completely naked.

That was the end of the road for me, and me still sad over it.

Mangafanatic

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:58 am

Mangafanatic wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it happens in Unrequited Love which is volume three.

What happened? Well, Alice is taking a shower and the possessed Mayura slips in with her and attacks her. Then Kyo and (I think) Frey come to her rescue. This whole ordeal takes somewhere near ten pages, and both Alice and Mayura are both completely naked.

Why are there so many series that are just ruined by trash like this - I mean, there is no need to have the scene in the shower, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway...

Just got Shonen Jump Sept. and will start on it asap, and I'm going to try and get back to Borders soon so I can read a bit more, and look for new manga.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby MasterDias » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:00 pm

I bought Rurouni Kenshin: Volume 6 today and I got Flame of Recca: Volume 4 several days back.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:13 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:Why are there so many series that are just ruined by trash like this - I mean, there is no need to have the scene in the shower, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway...

So true. The same dialogue could have been plugged in if Alice had gone to the back yard to chill out instead of the shower. AHHH!!!

Mangafanatic

Postby Kireihana » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:24 pm

MasterDias wrote:I bought Rurouni Kenshin: Volume 6 today and I got Flame of Recca: Volume 4 several days back.

Hey, RK vol. 6 isn't due out till September! Where did you get it?!?
Kireihana

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:19 pm

My book store has RK 6 too. Are you sure about that release date?

Mangafanatic

Postby Elric_kun » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:02 am

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask(yes, there's a manga for it :3)
sadly, its in japanese and i can barely make out some words >.<;;
Elric_kun

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:46 am

Mangafanatic wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it happens in Unrequited Love which is volume three.

That is sad. No wonder I couldn't remember it-it was the one I read translations for. Yet another manga that I've had to stop reading b/c of some of the material in it :(

I really don't like it when it happens, yet it's happened to me at least 15 times (unliscensed or not manga). It's happened with all of the unliscensed shounen that I've tried to read--Open Sesame (I miss the story a lot but not the langauage in this one), Kagetora (a long drawn out bath scene that the guy just happens upon :stressed: ), Tales of Destiny, all the ones that I'm forgetting at the moment, and all the ones I was interested of at first but then found out that it had not good stuff in it.

It also happens with some of my shoujo too. I wish that some of the stuff that could be cut-like bad language-would be cut out from the beginning by the scanlators and instead they would insert something else in it's place. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:34 am

I wish someone would sell edited manga. You know, like that Clean Flicks thing(that video store that cut sex and nudity out of their movies.) Wouldn't that rock.

Mangafanatic

Postby MasterDias » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:20 am

Kireihana wrote:Hey, RK vol. 6 isn't due out till September! Where did you get it?!?

Your dates are a little off. Volume 6 came out July 28th.

I wish someone would sell edited manga. You know, like that Clean Flicks thing(that video store that cut sex and nudity out of their movies.) Wouldn't that rock.

That wouldn't work.

Del Rey was originally going to censor the nudity in Negima in order to knock the rating down a notch. It caused quite an uproar and Del Rey quickly changed their minds when people started canceling their preorders left and right. The majority of anime fans are pretty intolerant when it comes to editing, given all of the hacked up anime/manga we have gotton in the past.

Companies aren't going to do it, if they lose money off of it...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby righteous_slave » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:54 am

I picked up Trigun Maximum, RK 1, and .Hack/legend of the twilight 1. I missed the pinup in the front of .Hack, but I just tore it out and moved on.

Any kind of editing of any kind of artwork generates uproar, usually with the fans and the artist. I think if there were seperate versions available, like the way you get edited albums at Walmart and unedited at other outlets, that there would not be as much complaining.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:14 am

Mangafanatic wrote:I wish someone would sell edited manga. You know, like that Clean Flicks thing(that video store that cut sex and nudity out of their movies.) Wouldn't that rock.

I think that would turn into a legal nightmare. I'm not even certain exactly how Clean Flicks gets away with it. Outside of the issue mentioned by Master Dias, I think there is also a large issue in the legal realms as well (particularly when those rights would probably extend over oceans).
uc pseudonym

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:26 am

I'm not saying it would be practical, but it would be nice. (And Clean Flicks got torched by all the issues you mentioned. Legally, they got an "okay" for what they were going and then it got revoked. Snaps!)

Mangafanatic

Postby teepanee » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:34 pm

Hmm... I've just read the first volume of "Tsubasa" and it's a cute adventure manga. ^_^ Somehow, tho, it seems like it's gonna be a very, very difficult journey for the three main characters and a loooooong time before Sakura gets involved with the plot directly (I mean, her being "lifeless" and all ;P).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."

[size=75]Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/SIZE]
teepanee

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:13 pm

Yeah, that annoys me a bit.

Mangafanatic

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews