New manga: Nephilim

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

New manga: Nephilim

Postby FreddyCast » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:52 am

I recently found this new manga and it seems to be an interesting one to follow, mostly because I also have done a manga story related to the Nephilim. But this is quite an intriguing take on the Nephilim as it has taken on the biblical concept of angels intermingling with women as recorded in Gen. 6:1-4 and made it into a kind of action/adventure story about a sole Nephilim fighting for mankind (unbiblical of course, but still an interesting read nonetheless). However, I should warn you that it is violent and gory, and it has minor foul language. I do not know in what direction this author and artist will take their manga toward since it's only one chapter nor do I know if the author/artist are Christians themselves, but if it becomes too explicitly gory, sexually suggestive, and/or morally ambiguous, then i recommend as a Christian to drop this manga. Otherwise, I recommend to follow this manga for now :)

The link to the manga is below

NEPHILIM
ImageHebrews 13:2 Do not forget/neglect to entertain (show hospitality to) strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.
My Manga Story "The Fallen Rise"
GOD'S CREATION, THE FALL OF LUCIFER, & THE RISE OF THE MESSIAH Enter my Channel if you dare
ROMAN CATHOLIC MARIOLATRY Series
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Location: Under Kris-tina's bed or hiding in Wolfsong's tree (you can't find me)

Re: New manga: Nephilim

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:23 pm

I read through the first 'season' (chapter).
I will add a note that there are strong implications of rape in the story, to the content warning.

As for my opinion on the actual comic - dissappointing.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FreddyCast » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes, the Queen's past relation with Azazel does suggest that she was raped b/c it does incorporate the biblical concept of angels intermingling with women. As for the comic script itself, it was dull and lacked substance. The art was good though. I'm hoping the author's writing ability improves in the next few chapters.
ImageHebrews 13:2 Do not forget/neglect to entertain (show hospitality to) strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.
GOD'S CREATION, THE FALL OF LUCIFER, & THE RISE OF THE MESSIAH Enter my Channel if you dare
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Location: Under Kris-tina's bed or hiding in Wolfsong's tree (you can't find me)

Postby Xeno » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:41 am

FreddyCast wrote:Yes, the Queen's past relation with Azazel does suggest that she was raped b/c it does incorporate the biblical concept of angels intermingling with women.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can see how that makes it any more okay.
Xeno

Postby FreddyCast » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 am

Xeno wrote:
FreddyCast wrote:Yes, the Queen's past relation with Azazel does suggest that she was raped b/c it does incorporate the biblical concept of angels intermingling with women.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can see how that makes it any more okay.

I never said it makes it okay. It's just something to be expected when a manga incorporates certain violent and immoral things that the Bible itself is not shy of depicting. This reflects nothing of God himself, but rather of Man's depraved state. The rape of women by angels is therefore already implied in the manga, though the manga itself never explicitly depicts such a thing.
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Postby Xeno » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:10 am

FreddyCast wrote:This reflects nothing of God himself, but rather of Man's depraved state. The rape of women by angels is therefore already implied in the manga, though the manga itself never explicitly depicts such a thing.

So "man's depraved state" entitles angels to rape humans. Okay, glad we cleared that up.
Xeno

Postby FreddyCast » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:23 am

Xeno wrote:
FreddyCast wrote:This reflects nothing of God himself, but rather of Man's depraved state. The rape of women by angels is therefore already implied in the manga, though the manga itself never explicitly depicts such a thing.

So "man's depraved state" entitles angels to rape humans. Okay, glad we cleared that up.

That in no way logically follows from my previous statement. Our sinful nature does not give us the right to commit evil. It's simply the sad state that Humanity is in. Man is conceived in sin and therefore every person will sin. The angels that chose to rebel against God by intermingling with women also fell into the same state of sin. But my intention is not to turn this into a debate, my intention is to clarify the implied rape of women by angels as being something to be expected in this manga b/c of it's incorporation of this biblical event.
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:15 pm

I wasn't looking for defense of the content unless you're one of the authors, just to note that it's in the comic since that would be a strong concern for some readers. We haven't gotten far enough in the comic to determine whether that content will be handled well, if at all any more. Chill out.

Personally I'd like to see the layout improve and...something else be done with the sound effects. The story is mostly generic beginning stuff, so it's hard to make a call on that.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby FreddyCast » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:46 pm

I wasn't defending the content of the manga (writing, art style, author's intent), but rather explaining that part of the manga's premise (the idea of angels intermingling with women) derives from the Bible itself (Gen. 6:1-4). Certainly, such an idea is worth warning the readers, but it's also worth noting from where they get such an idea.
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 am

I actually discovered this a few days ago. Seeing it here, I suppose I'll say my thoughts on the matter.

The story was an interesting idea, but I can't help but feel they were trying to get it out quickly, because it seems rushed and wooden in many places. I like the idea, but they needed to focus on the script a little more. Their hints at rape make sense, as I can't imagine a fallen asking nicely, and I think it was handled well enough. I do wish the dialog and pacing had been much better thought out.
The artwork was good, but a lot of it struck me as clumsy. Particularly the fight scene. It looked like something I could draw :3
The sound effects weren't all that great either.
All I all, I kinda agree with Mech.
Final review: Disappointing.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby FreddyCast » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:42 pm

I completely concur, Wolfy.

Interesting thing is that this manga is actually a Reboot. I can't quite understand why they didn't improve on it though. But let's see if they improved the next chapters, not just give it a more manga-style look.
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews