FullMetal Water Cooler (FMA chapter discussion)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby ich1990 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:46 pm

I don't know how I missed reading chapter 99 when it come out.

I think that this is the most hand to hand combat we have seen in a very long time, and it is awesome. Seriously, I love all the choreography and the detail that is put into the fight strategies. [spoiler]Of course, all of the sacrifices disappearing at the end was quite provoking as well[/spoiler]Great chapter.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:36 am

Chapter 99.[spoiler]As incredibly awesome as this last string of chapters has been, it's been hard on the fan in me. It's no secret I'm a closet fan of King Bradley, but old man Fuu has also grown on me. So really, no matter who wins, I lose.

Man, I like Buccaneer and Falman too. And Greed/Ling. This day just gets worse and worse.

Regardless, nice to see Bradley in action. So many of his previous fights have ended up being glorified curb stomps, it's enjoyable to see him in a bind for once, getting the most out of that 20-year training at home subscription. However, since Greed/Ling can regenerate, survey says Bradley should be able to too, leaving Fuu and Buccaneer's heroic exploits ill-spent.

Oh yeah, the Man in White something something fuhrer candidates yada yada stuff happens.[/spoiler]Also, browsing the most recent volumes, every Homunculi now appears on a book spine...except Lust. I wonder if Arakawa intends to fix this or not, considering Lust bit the big one way back in volume 10.
Fish and Chips

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Chapter 100.[spoiler]FFFT-

Rest in peace, Fuu. Rest in Peace, Buccaneer.

And now it seems Father's absorbed Hohenheim, though that can't be the end of him. I'm sure he'll have some trick up his sleeve. Man, Al though, who knows what complications that's going to have. Perhaps he could be talking to himself at the Gate. That'd certainly be an interesting way to open the next chapter.

And Hawkeye YAAAA right on the last page, Arakawa, why do you always do this to us?[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby ich1990 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Chapter 100:

Yes, well, Fish's comments pretty sum up my feelings. On one hand, I am glad that Arakawa is raising the stakes....[spoiler]....and I know some of the good guys have to die (in fact, I was hoping for it), but why does it have to be Hawkeye? Couldn't it have been someone I don't care for, like the Elric brothers? I suppose it might not be a fatal wound, but tell that to Kimblee. If this is fatal, I am afraid I will have to be dissapointed. I mean, even relatively minor characters have been given heroic, glorified, multi-chapter deaths. This one should too.[/spoiler]
Curse the monthly release schedule!
ich1990

Postby goldenspines » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Chapter 100:

[spoiler] Last few pages: WHAT I DON'T EVEN *proceeds to cry herself to sleep every night for the next 50 years*

On a more in depth look at the whole chapter, Lan Fan saving Lin (with her new automail) and Lin's speech hit me right here *points to her heart*, it was very beautiful. And I couldn't help but feel overjoyed when Lin/Greed blew up the truck. XD

I will have nightmares from the creepiness of the EYES, though (with a beer belly >_>).

But yes, the last pages ripped my Hawkeye loving heart in two.
There is always hope, but I'm not sure about this one. [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:40 pm

[spoiler]I think Hohenheim is more covered up than absorbed, given the dialogue surrounding that point. He probably won't do anything for a while, though, which is fine because I'm curious to see how the current confrontation will play out.

Just to take the opposite stance, I'm going to guess that Hawkeye isn't necessarily dead. It was obviously done to make Roy try to transmute life, but the wound didn't cut through enough of her neck to be guaranteed fatal, not with alchemy about. She only has to nearly die to trigger whatever plot advancements Arakawa has in mind, and it strikes me as somewhat unlikely that a major character would receive that kind of death so soon after two other dramatic deaths.

To play Vizzini for a moment here: it is possible that two real deaths were placed before a faked death in order to try to fool the audience. But it's also possible that a real death was placed in a position of a fake death in order to make it a much starker scene later. Then again, everyone knows that the Bradley clone is from Australia.

But if she did die and Roy "succeeds" in bringing her back, I am all for seeing where that goes.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Garjzla » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:49 pm

i have to agree with pseudonym

[spoiler]I bet she will not die, but she will get close and he will transmute his life for her, and i guess opening the gate so he would be the next sacrifice. I just cant wait for the next chapter...FMA sure is picking up and getting really good, i cant wait for 101![/spoiler]
God+Anime+Internet+Forums=1337
"MOES: Where everybody knows your sig (because it's a reasonable size)."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Garjzla

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:56 pm

[spoiler]Yeah, Goldenspines and I reached a similar conclusion chatting about this chapter. If Riza dies, the doctor really has no bargaining chip against Roy. He has to keep her alive, but just barely. Ed already proved you *Can* do human transmutation on a living human being, so that may be what's up.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:38 am

Chapter 101.[spoiler]I guess the doctor was a bit more expendable than he probably assumed.

Feels a little shallow having Al featured so prominently in the splash page when neither he nor his brother actually show up in chapter, but ah well, one of FMA's strengths is the ability to step away from its main protagonists. Instead we get some great Roy and Riza scenes, and the side character cavalry in the nick of time.

Are you reading this Tite Kubo?

And now Bradley and Pride are back, Bradley with renewed importance it seems. Can't say I saw that coming at all.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby goldenspines » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Chaper 101:
[spoiler] Man, this chapter is full of stuff. Still another cliff hanger, but not as heart renching. D:

Firstly, Olivier PUNCH! 8D

Next, thank you Arakawa for not breaking my heart again.

And oh snap, the Bradley is back. We knew he couldn't die that easily though.

And even a bigger oh snap, Pride is back too. I wondered why he wasn't joining the fun.

And ahhhh, Mustang! D8 I see my translating for the one panel on the Raws was correct though. o.o [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Ch. 101

[spoiler]Despite everyone's best efforts to get my hopes up, I am happy to say that I was able to keep them fairly well depressed all month. Hawkeye didn't die, so it was unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

Also, I like how Wrath manages to be freaking hardcore every single chapter. He doesn't rejuvenate, though, which is curious. I thought I pretty much had the homunculus mechanics figured out.

Finally, Selim, my favorite villain, is back. That is awesome. I wonder if he walked the whole way or did some hitchhiking?[/spoiler]
ich1990

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 pm

FMA is like a pleasant surprise every month. I always almost forget about it by the time the next chapter comes around until someone goes NEW FMA CHAPTER, at which point I read it and remember how great it is. Again, it's pretty amazing how much stuff happens in a single chapter.
[spoiler]I'm glad that the Riza thing got taken care of pretty quickly and that it turned out alright for the most part.[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 pm

[spoiler] Compared to the last chapter, this one is no where near as heart wrenching XD

I'm glad Riza is ok, and the moments shared between her and Roy, though brief, were just precious on many levels.

As for Bradley coming back, I think we all knew he wasn't dead yet. Not to mention, it was kind of implied that he was still alive last chapter even after he was thrown into the water. I'm beginning to think, since he's so persistently tough, he's going to be one of the last homunculus left alive near the end.

The series has been climaxing within the last several chapters, and building towards the end. (yeah, thats kind of an obvious statement I suppose...). I 'm excited to see the end... Arakawa never ceases to impress me and satisfy my expectations...[/spoiler]
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby goldenspines » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:14 pm

102:
[spoiler] WHAT. I. DON'T. EVEN.

Arakawa is doing some very interesting things to keep us on our toes, as always.

Bradley vs. Scar (and maybe everyone else one by one) looks like it will be fun.
Roy didn't lose any limbs. I sighed in relief, then lol'd.
Al met his body and didn't get it back. WHAT
That whole scene caught me off guard, but it made me feel somewhat relieved that Al gave up that chance to get his body back in order to fight his hardest for his friends. It excludes all the cool warm fuzzy feelings of knowing that Al finally achieved his goal, but hey, we have more chapters to come, so it's okay. XD;

And, cliffhanger! But it's a nice set up for the next chapter. Too bad we have to wait another whole month. D: [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Chapter 102.[spoiler]Man, so, this chapter.

Though it does me little good to say so after the fact, I'd actually called Roy's sacrifice years ago, back when I considered dabbling in fanfiction and drafted an alternate universe story where Roy tried to bring back Hughes and lost his eyes. Shame I never bothered to write it down, or I could reproduce it for emphasis.

Scar vs. Bradley was actually unexpected, but not unwelcome, though I'm a little surprised Bradley is so resigned to his fate. Hopefully Arakawa's planning on commenting on why Greed can heal but he can't.

And Al, what can I say. This should prove interesting.[/spoiler]
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:41 pm

102:
[spoiler]There is not enough [SIZE="7"]( ゚д゚)[/SIZE] to adequately capture how I felt while reading this chapter.[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby ich1990 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist day makes my whole month better.
ich1990

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:05 pm

ZOMGOSH'S FMA 102 IS OUT!!!!
Umm, anyways...
[spoiler]Why Mustang why?! Mustang losing his eyes makes me really sad.

I wonder if this will be permanent. I really hope not.

Scar versus Bradley looks really awesome.[/spoiler]

Also, call me crazy, but I swear I heard somewhere that May is 12. Am I the only one remembering this?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Chapter 103:
[spoiler]Poor Mei...I hope someone kicks the crap out of Father soon, he needs it.

This chapter wasn't quite as good as the previous couple, maybe it was the length. I can't tell whether or not I love or hate Scar's newfound power of complete alchemy.

Well, either way, I really want it to be the next chapter now. Oh well...

And Hohenheim showed up...not that it helped, but it's nice to know he's still alive.[/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:52 pm

103:
[spoiler] Am I the only one who is a little disturbed by the fact that Hohenheim's face keeps appearing out of Father and giving helpful advice to the allies? XDD;

This chapter wasn't too exciting for me, but I bet the Bradley and Scar fans were happy. ^__^

Though, I did find myself a bit happy that Scar has both powers now (to create and to destroy). It makes him seem like less of a monster.

Also, I'm still curious about Roy losing his sight. At the first of this chapter, they brought up a good point. Roy was forced to open the gate against his will, so why did he have to pay a price like Ed, Al, and Izumi?

Though, if Roy does stay blind, all the fans of RoyxRiza will have a field day. Who else would be perfect for a blind man besides "Hawkeye"? XP [/fangirl craziness]
[/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:59 pm

goldenspines (post: 1365199) wrote:103:
[spoiler] Also, I'm still curious about Roy losing his sight. At the first of this chapter, they brought up a good point. Roy was forced to open the gate against his will, so why did he have to pay a price like Ed, Al, and Izumi?

Though, if Roy does stay blind, all the fans of RoyxRiza will have a field day. Who else would be perfect for a blind man besides "Hawkeye"? XP [/fangirl craziness]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Ahahaha!!! That's hilarious! Though I wonder if he's faking it, to put the Father and Pride off guard. Someone has to fight Father, since it doesn't look like Mei is up to it, unless she pulls some Heroic Resolve in[/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 am

Chapter 103.[spoiler]I don't know what's wrong with you people.

"Didn't excite me."
"Wasn't quite as good."
"Wasn't too exciting."

Lies. You're just incapable of appreciating the good things in your life.

Roy's down (temporarily, I'm sure), Mei's taking on Father all by herself, while Bradley and Scar duel to the death and we just realized Scar now has another tattoo that has the power to create as the antithesis to his initial one which had the power to destroy? What more do you people want?[/spoiler]Not to mention all those Ishbalans running about. Arakawa's had this one cooking for a long time.
Fish and Chips

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 pm

There is such suspense in the air, and hopefully Arakawa can tie it together to make a good ending.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:25 am

I agree with Fish. If a single chapter can pack in one major character revelation (Scar), a major plot revelation (the Ishbalans), and a pair of major fights, while still not feeling rushed, it is a successful chapter.
ich1990

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:55 pm

I didn't feel totally thrilled either but was still interested. I still say this was a good chapter due to Scar's revelation, his battle, and maybe a change in Roy's condition.

[spoiler] I am a bit curious why Scar wanted to draw the reconstruction formula on his left arm. Maybe he wanted to be more of a help? Roy's blindness is questionable. It could be a temporary blindness. He could have lost something else or nothing at all due to the fact that he was forced to perform a human transmutation.[/spoiler]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:01 am

[spoiler]Okay, now I'm a bit confused. Did Scar always have the reconstructive tatoos(I thought that's what his brother's left arm was for) or did he get them while studying stuff with Mei[/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:56 pm

I have finally caught up with the manga! It sucks that I have to wait with everyone else for the new chapters, but I couldn't not marathon it. Stayed up till 2:30-ish to finish up the last bunch of chapters. :)
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:43 pm

I watched FMA 41 yesterday and
[spoiler]I'd forgotten that Ed uses some of his lifespan to heal a wound. Watching that part made me realize that it's very possible that he could die before the end of the series and even if he survives, it's can't be for much longer.

So what would you say his odds of survival are at this point?[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm

[spoiler]Honestly, he just barely healed it, since he still had the chimeras take him, and I we don't know how much of him they used. If 20ish people in a normal sized stone an do all the stuff we've seen, Ed probably didn't have to use that much. I would guess(or hope) it was about five years worth[/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ich1990 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 am

Chapter 104:

What the heck?

Did not expect this.
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews