Berserk

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Tommy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:30 pm

I COULD be injured spoil-wise.

Be careful, guys.
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:I COULD be injured spoil-wise.

Be careful, guys.

oh. should i have put that last post in spoiler boxes?
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:33 pm

still dont know how to use spoiler boxes sorry

and yes but if i rember right you read a cut version of the book so you may of missed what was going on before hand just to say it was nasty
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:45 am

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:still dont know how to use spoiler boxes sorry

Do this but take out the *

[spoiler*]text goes here[/spoiler]

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:11 pm

Mi-Ru-Me wrote:still dont know how to use spoiler boxes sorry

and yes but if i rember right you read a cut version of the book so you may of missed what was going on before hand just to say it was nasty

the version that i read, not much of the manga is cut out (litterally cut out). most of the time, the nudity is simply censored (you know. where it's all blurry over that portion of the picture).

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:21 pm

I got cut from my source but I eventually found another.

Can someone recap the events of the end of Volume 9?
Everything after that "scene"?

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't need a recap.

[Spoiler]While predictable, the sheer fact that Caska and Guts fall in love, someone pleases me. It's actually nice to see Guts with a girl. So in which volume does Berserk get back to the real story and ditch the recaps?[/Spoiler]
Tommy

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:35 pm

i think it would be wise to put this in spoiler tags. but anyways, the story gets back to the real deal around...volume 14 or so...it gets back to the real story when

[SPOILER]gutts and puck go to this village and all these kids are disappearing from the village and are being taken away by a bunch of elves. led by that one elf with wings that had a monster come and kill most of the hawks while gutts and them were out trying to save griffith[/SPOILER]

the real story may start a little earlier than volume 14.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:17 am

You're right, I'm a complete idiot.

After I put it in spoiler tags, please unquote it, okay?
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:58 pm

What do you know, I didn't have to edit a thing. Thanks for modding yourselves, gentlemen. On the subject immediately at hand:

[spoiler]The arc with the kids and fairies very nearly made me stop reading Berserk. I like it when it's dealing with cosmic issues or at least epic ones, not random fighting versus Apostles. I've been willing to put up with the current (in Japan) arc for now only because I'm hoping the characters will get a major upgrade when they get to the Fairy King.[/spoiler]

And also a comment only for those who have read past volume 15 or so:
[spoiler]To be honest, I don't particularly like Caska. I say that only as a disclaimer for my comment that I think it would be hilarious if she gets her memory back and isn't in love with Gatts.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:27 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:What do you know, I didn't have to edit a thing. Thanks for modding yourselves, gentlemen. On the subject immediately at hand:

[spoiler]The arc with the kids and fairies very nearly made me stop reading Berserk. I like it when it's dealing with cosmic issues or at least epic ones, not random fighting versus Apostles. I've been willing to put up with the current (in Japan) arc for now only because I'm hoping the characters will get a major upgrade when they get to the Fairy King.[/spoiler]

i agree with you here. the arc was pretty pointless and didn't aid in the progression of the plot at ALL. it only helped to set up for the introduction of a couple of major characters...

uc pseudonym wrote:And also a comment only for those who have read past volume 15 or so:
[spoiler]To be honest, I don't particularly like Caska. I say that only as a disclaimer for my comment that I think it would be hilarious if she gets her memory back and isn't in love with Gatts.[/spoiler]

well, i just read volume 19 today (the latest volume for me). the story is starting to get interesting (as always), but the volume has to end at the worst and most intense spot. now i have to wait for like another week! why?!?! as for your comment regarding caska, i find here to be (in the later volumes) more of a liability. her cluelessness sorta messes up some of the events for other characters and posses continuous problems...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Wow, the next chapter is set for February 9th. I guess Miura's picking up the pace and making up for some lost time.
Joshua Christopher

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:29 pm

well, i've reached volume 22 of Berserk. i'm still far from the latest, but i feel that i have come fairly far into the series. when i look back on volume 4 and how Gutts was only a kid back in that volumes, it's really cool to see how all the characters have grown and progressed...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:47 pm

jon_jinn wrote:well, i've reached volume 22 of Berserk. i'm still far from the latest, but i feel that i have come fairly far into the series. when i look back on volume 4 and how Gutts was only a kid back in that volumes, it's really cool to see how all the characters have grown and progressed...

Volume 22 was actually one of my favourites of the series. There was so much crazy stuff going on in that one, like:

[spoiler]Griffith's meeting with Gutts, and a shiny new Zodd battle.[/spoiler]
Joshua Christopher

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:15 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:Volume 22 was actually one of my favourites of the series. There was so much crazy stuff going on in that one, like:

[spoiler]Griffith's meeting with Gutts, and a shiny new Zodd battle.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Gutt's fight with Zodd was definitely the best part of the volume (visually). Griffith's reappearance in volume 22, though it was basically in volume 21, was also a big highlight. there's so many questions to be answered now, and i'm sure it must be frustrating for Gutts. he finally sees Griffith again, and he doesn't even have a chance to exchange a decent conversation (though he'd probably try to kill Griffith before that would happen)...[/spoiler]
anyways, yeah. if you've read my post in the 'What manga are you reading?' thread, you will see why i didn't exactly enjoy the earlier arc involving the pagan witch hunts. i found it to be rather blasphemous...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:41 pm

jon_jinn wrote:it's really cool to see how all the characters have grown and progressed...

Indeed. And if the series reaches the cosmic stage it seems to imply they will change a great deal more.

From the manga thread: Ah, I do remember that arc now. It is one of those with a lot more bizarre elements. And yes, Serpico is finally introduced (I liked him pretty much from the moment when he attacks Gutts out of nowhere). When someone who may be one of the most important characters doesn't even appear until the 22nd volume you know you're looking at an epic series.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:21 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:When someone who may be one of the most important characters doesn't even appear until the 22nd volume you know you're looking at an epic series.

most definitely. anyways, i'm also curious to see more of Farneze's background. [spoiler]the flashback regarding Serpico's and Farneze's past was quite interesting. but Farneze's odd behavior in the flashback was quite creepy...[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:51 am

well, i just read volume 23 yesterday. it was okay. there wasn't very much action and most of the volume involved either developing the characters, or introducing characters. anyways i have some questions...

[spoiler]during the flashback of gutts and the hawks, why did zodd give gutts a sword, when gutt's other sword broke? and also, why is zodd working for griffith now?[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:18 pm

There might not be a direct answer to either of those questions, but here goes:

[spoiler]Zodd tossed Gutts a sword because he sort of likes him as humans go. Also, I think he wants to kill him himself, not let someone else do the job.

As for why he's working for Griffith, that wasn't really what I expected earlier. The simplest answer is that Zodd is an Apostle and they answer first and foremost to the Godhand. Now that Griffith has a form on earth he's the master of all Apostles that haven't gone rogue.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:55 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:There might not be a direct answer to either of those questions, but here goes:

[spoiler]Zodd tossed Gutts a sword because he sort of likes him as humans go. Also, I think he wants to kill him himself, not let someone else do the job.

As for why he's working for Griffith, that wasn't really what I expected earlier. The simplest answer is that Zodd is an Apostle and they answer first and foremost to the Godhand. Now that Griffith has a form on earth he's the master of all Apostles that haven't gone rogue.[/spoiler]

i see. now what was an 'Apostle' again? i know, it's mentioned in the manga a lot but i never really got it. (or maybe i read about really early into the manga but forgot about it...) are they just servants of Godhand?
anyways, i just read volume 24. i didn't really enjoy this volume. there was WAY too much talking and not much action. the new characters and weapons, introduced in volume 24, added some interest to the volume though...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:16 pm

Apostles are essentially any of the half-monster creatures that seem to run around the world of Berserk. They seem to do whatever they want except in special circumstances such as the eclipses or (as here) one of the Godhand taking a physical form, in which case they do seem to serve the same cause.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:33 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Apostles are essentially any of the half-monster creatures that seem to run around the world of Berserk. They seem to do whatever they want except in special circumstances such as the eclipses or (as here) one of the Godhand taking a physical form, in which case they do seem to serve the same cause.

so they are sorta like the suspicious humans in the manga that end up turning into giant freaky monsters.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Those humans are Apostles, yes.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:05 pm

well, i just read berserk volume 25. it had some nice action scenes. i'm eager to see how the author will develop ishidoro as the story progresses. as for the ending of volume 25, i'm mad that the author leaves at such a suspenseful scene (though somewhat disturbing...)

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:53 pm

jon_jinn wrote:well, i just read berserk volume 25. it had some nice action scenes. i'm eager to see how the author will develop ishidoro as the story progresses. as for the ending of volume 25, i'm mad that the author leaves at such a suspenseful scene (though somewhat disturbing...)

i read berserk volume 26. though the beginning wasn't very interesting, [spoiler]i essentially had a feeling skull knight would save the day once again.[/spoiler] i did find the last...third of the volume to be quite interesting.
[spoiler]gutt's gets that new armor.[/spoiler]
a nice set up for some sweet fights in volume 27, and i can tell that the next arc will be one of the best ones. one thing i really want to see is the past of the skull knight. now THAT is gonna be interesting...

anyways, like my new avatar? XD

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:51 pm

You're catching up fast. Gutts is still wearing that armor, though he does a good bit of fighting in it. I like the times when the characters upgrade. Unfortunately, you're not going to learn a tremendous amount about Skull Knight anytime soon. He's still essentially a mystery.

Regarding the most recent chapter:
[spoiler]At least it looks like this battle will be coming to an end soon. I'm not sure what this clash will look like, but I predict Griffith will win overwhelmingly.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

[spoiler]does gutts ever have his rematch with griffith? one-on-one. or has the long awaited battle not taken place yet? i'm eager to see how griffith has improved since the last time gutts and him fought (quite a while ago...) also, i want to see gutts and serpico fight again. and i'm dying to see those other uber strong guys who are working under griffith fight.[/spoiler]

well, i doubt i'll be reading volume 27 anytime soon...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:47 pm

You'll get to see the latter two ones, unless I misplace where you are in the story. But as for the first...

[spoiler]How much Griffith has improved? He's god-like right now. However, it is possible that his physical form does have significant limits. So far it has seemed unable to be struck by arrows and we may get to see him fight soon.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:57 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:You'll get to see the latter two ones, unless I misplace where you are in the story.

well, right now...

[spoiler]i'm at the part where gutts JUST receives the berserker's armor and he's fighting one of griffith's henchmen (an insanely strong guy decked out in armor with a dragon-mouthed cannon on one of his arms). the witch's house is being burnt down to the ground, and skull knight is having ANOTHER face off against zodd.[/spoiler]

uc pseudonym wrote:But as for the first...

[spoiler]How much Griffith has improved? He's god-like right now. However, it is possible that his physical form does have significant limits. So far it has seemed unable to be struck by arrows and we may get to see him fight soon.[/spoiler]

well, the arrow part i already know. anyways, i seriously think that berserk will go on for another...50+ volumes. i'm serious. the manga is so slow-paced (in a good way) and has so many plot twists and parallel episodes that it would only be necessary to make the series so long. i only hope miura doesn't die before he completes the series...XD

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:13 pm

i read volumes 27 and 28. though they didn't strike a SERIOUS interest in me, they were fairly good. anyways...
[spoiler]i wonder how the author will use that new boy that he introduced in volume 27. the boy that caska found while wondering along the beach. i'm not sure if he's a good guy or a bad guy yet...sorta reminds me of Wrath from the FMA anime. anyways, the 28th volume is setting up for some major fights. the good guys are finally making contact with the enemies, though they don't know it yet...[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Oddly enough, I don't remember him. What else does he do? With an epic like Berserk I tend to only remember the most critical of facts or things that particularly catch my interest, like the Behelit.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews