A question of content...

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby inkhana » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:32 pm

Well, I wouldn't say it was for the very young; it's likely that some of the plot details would go over their heads anyway...(provided I write the script like an intelligent adult...O.o) I would say probably young teen and up.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:50 pm

*ouch*!!!
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby MillyFan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:50 pm

I'm saying that it's totally unrealistic to have ALL of your Christian characters as "perfect."

I'd think you'd actually do better with at least one character who doesn't have it all together, one who's definitely not an exemplary idea of what someone should be-and have him or her slowly change, slowly overcome the past-or decide at the last minute to change, to repent.

Or you could even not do that and use the character as a negative, as a kind of "don't walk in my path" example, as a sad story in and of himself.

I know that I'd definitely see any of those choices as a lot deeper of a character than one who was "right/good from the beginning." However, that's just my opinion. . .

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby inkhana » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:09 am

Actually, I totally agree with you Milly. No one likes someone who's perfect, I wouldn't think (unless we're talking about Jesus!) I'm wondering how far some of the character's imperfections might go. (For example, under extreme stress, Rivalen might be a totally different person...)

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby shooraijin » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:26 am

> might be a totally different person

Like how? In terms of a tendency to explode, become irrational, ... ?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:33 am

It would be interesting to have the characters start out relatively dark (in some ways, such as when Rivalen goes over the edge), and then lighten as the story goes on. I certainly don't mean perfect, but it might be worthwhile to see them transform from too dark to simply human.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:07 am

Oooh, that's an interesting point too, UC...*starts making notes..*

Shooraijin: It was more an example pulled out of thin air than an example from life, but Rivalen's personality type of all main characters (save the villain, of course) is the most likely to "snap" esp when he has something to make him extremely angry (which in all honesty isn't that hard to do). So I would say, actually a little more of the former than the latter: he would be somewhat likely to explode, not so likely to become totally irrational (he would still listen to certain people).

But then on the other side of the coin, there are characters like Iriel, who typically, since they're small frail type characters, don't have any overwhelming potential for wrongdoing. Yet they need flaws too just to make them seem human (realistic human, that is). In her case, given what's happened to her, I'd say big flaws were a possibility...she would probably be easy to tempt into finding ways to distract herself from thinking about her past and after a point, where she might be going in the future.

(tries to get the spoiler code to work...)

[spoiler=About Iriel]At first I was going to have her be very strong in faith but now Im thinking of going in the opposite direction and adding this to her list of vulnerabilities[/spoiler]

Heh, I hope you guys don't mind listening to all this...LOL I think better when I can ramble. Sometimes I get ideas for things just by writing posts like this.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:13 am

That's perfectly alright. If you get ideas out of it, all the better.
uc pseudonym

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews