Mars

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Mars

Postby Jimmothy » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:24 pm

Has anyone read this magna? My Barns and Nobel has like the whole series. So i was wondering if it had bad content or not.
"Go with God's protection.....and hey, thanks for the apple"
Wolfwood
AIM: papervase
Jimmothy

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:25 am

I've never read it. Although the ads are in most of the other TokyoPop mangas that I read. It always has the slogan "A bad boy can change a good girl forever ..." and that always killed my interest right there. I also, personally, don't like the art style at all. Fuyumi Soryo's artwork:Gypsy's eyes::fingernails:chalkboard.
However, here's a review link for you. http://www.mangamaniacs.org/reviews/mars2.shtml There's a review on vol. 1 - 3 and one for just the first volume, so be sure to check them both out.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby MillicentKnight » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:05 pm

I personally enjoy "Mars" very much. The art takes some getting used to, but it really grew on me. The story is a little odd, but cute, especially at the beginning. Some of the later volumes read very quickly...not much happens, so those might not be worth buying. It's got its quirks like any other manga, but I really like it.
I'd like to slip into something more comfortable....like a coma.

:bang: *points* This is me 75% of the time...
MillicentKnight

Postby StarMasayume » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:16 pm

All right, for a long time I only had the first volume but when I went to stay with a Christian friend for a week I got to read up till 12! (minus one or two she had missing in her collection) So this is my opinion after reading all of those so far--

I am in love with the series. It definitely ranks as one of my favorites, even from the very beginning. I'm fond of the art itself.

It isn't just the typical badboy-goodgirl complex to it for me, it goes much deeper. Kira opens up through the series, learns to love, to be happier, better faith in herself (as she's a lot more insecure in the beginning). There's reasons why she is the way she is and how she grows.

Rei's had a pretty hard life, and though tough he gets a real compassion and love for Kira. You see his "hard core" change. I especially love Rei's growth throughout this series.

It's a drama-romance and not much fluff or nonsense. It isn't just prolonged through so many volumes but brings the epic story to life at the right pace. There's more intracacies and tough situations they have to face and relationships with friends and especially family. I won't give any spoilers.

As for question of content... I can't recall anything glaring. There's references to sexual relationships (more true-to-life though and not tasteless like a lot of anime/manga out there; I believe they do end up sleeping together way nearer to the end say aroun volume 10--I had to skip one volume there which I can't rightly verify for, but I don't think there was anything too graphic in the part I read), Rei is a bit reckless and there's a lot of character digging which sometimes edges on morbid, but there's always that hope which perhaps intrigues me the most about it.

So if it seems like it would interest you at all, I definitely recommend the series. :thumb:

--star
"So these three things continue; Faith, hope, and love.
The greatest of these which is love." - 1 Corinthians 13:13
StarInMyPocket.net
StarMasayume

Postby DK_Sol » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:39 pm

Mars is one of my fave mangas!!! ^.^ love it is very intresting and hilarious at the begginig. I read the whole series is great! It made me cry :sniffle: and laugh a lot :lol:
I enjoy it very much, I would really recomend the series!! I'm trying very hard not to write any spoilers but I have to say that Kiar and Rei do sleep together in vol. 10 :hits_self sorry but it might have answer something or warned you not to buy that vol. ^^ or read it if u don't want to. I love the first vol. is very funny and sweet. :) Love the series if I have to rated from 1- 10. I would gived a 10, because it has comedy and drama, and it also deals with real thing that happend in everyday life.

<runs away> Seeyaness!!
Night, like a black veil descends now embracing the world around me.
I sleep, yet do not...
your presence is near.
You invade my every dream...
even when I am awake.

DK_Sol

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews