Korean Webtoons

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Korean Webtoons

Postby Mouse2010 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:21 pm

Not manga, exactly, but close . . . does anyone else read Korean web comics? I discovered them a couple of years ago and right now I read way more Korean webtoons than I do manga. It's just so convenient to read them on the phone, and they are actually designed to look good on a phone. I still struggle with reading manga on a phone or tablet; it feels like they are designed so much for the printed page.

Right now I'm binging THE GIRL WHO SEES SMELLS on Webtoons, and it is AMAZING. It's a long-runner with over two hundred episodes, but broken down neatly into arcs, so it's easy to binge an entire arc at once.

I could go on and on for quite awhile about my favorite series, but does anyone else read this kind of thing?
Mouse2010

Re: Korean Webtoons

Postby Kaori » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Hey, welcome back!

The short answer is no, not really. Nowadays, if I'm reading manga, it's almost always in Japanese, as one way I keep myself exposed to the Japanese language. I'd have to want to read something REALLY badly to read it in English.

But for some reason several years ago I stumbled across the Korean webtoon Annarasumanara, which I would still consider to be one of my favorites and one of the most memorable manga/manwha I have read to this day. Some of the art techniques that were used were really fresh, novel, and engaging to me (though, having hardly read any webtoons, I don't know if they are common in that genre). The story was also really memorable, especially for the way that at the beginning of the story, you don't know whether what's going on is stage magic or actually superanatural, so it makes you wonder what within the story is real.

In short, the art and the story were both great, so I definitely recommend it if you haven't read it already!

https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/annar ... =77&page=1
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Rose Faerie » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:16 pm

Well, I can finally comment on this thread, since I've gone down the webtoon rabbit hole! I'm reading three of them right now, and I'm loving them all!

After School for Unripe Apples: This is a super cute slice of life, slow burn friendship series. I consider both of the leads my children, and I'm looking forward to watching their relationship grow. Neither one of them knows what to do with each other. XD

Cheese in the Trap: This one is by the same author as After School for Unripe Apples, but this one is more of a drama. It's a bit harder to follow, but it has very fascinating character interactions. I don't know how I feel about most of the male characters. Euntaek is the only one who I can trust. I have a lot of questions about the male lead, and I'm very suspicious of him.

Your Throne: This one is a political fantasy with a body-swapping premise. I was a bit confused at first, but once things sorted themselves out I was hooked. Both female leads are excellent characters and strong in their own ways. I'm over 50 chapters in, and I'm astonished by their growth. They balance each other out perfectly, and they are able to put aside their differences to defeat their common enemy. I'm very invested.

I'll have to look into Annarasumanara and The Girl Who Sees Smells.
Rose Faerie

Postby Rose Faerie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:14 pm

Well, I've started Annarasumanara and I love it. It just feels so creative, original, and beautiful. I'm in love with the artistic techniques that are used, because they just make the piece! I also love the story. (But I can't take her classmate seriously because his head looks like a green bean. XD It's hilarious when he gets mad because of how ridiculous he looks. I do have a feeling that his design has a purpose or some kind of hidden meaning.)
Rose Faerie

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews