What music have you been into recently?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

What music have you been into recently?

Postby Kaori » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 pm

I think we've probably all had the experience where we find a new band/artist/music genre and really get into it--or we dig out some music we've known about all along and rediscover how good it is.

So, new discovery or old favorite, what music have you been into recently?

For me:

Christoper Tin (new discovery): I discovered Christopher Tin by hearing about his Grammy-winning video game theme, "Baba Yetu," a.k.a. The Lord's Prayer in Swahili. But as awesome "The Lord's Prayer in Swahili was the main theme of a popular video game and was the first video game song to win a Grammy award" is, when I looked into his music, I found out that the album that "Baba Yetu" is on, Calling All Dawns, is a collection of songs (settings of poetry and religious texts from a variety of cultures) each of which is in a different language--which is totally awesome and right up my alley.

Afro Celt Sound System (old favorite): Afro Celt Sound System is a band that started with the concept of fusing Celtic and African music, hence the name--but like Christopher Tin, they feature musicians, languages, and music traditions from a variety of cultures. Recently dug out and listened to their album Flight and really enjoyed it (again), though I also really love the album Seed, which was my first exposure to them. To people on CAA, I would highly recommend their Sanctus, which is in Latin (mostly) but inspired by African and African-American musical styles (among other things). I was also really blown away by their live video for Cascade and seeing people from so many different cultures and languages making music together.

Myrath (old favorite): Progressive metal with Arabic influences from Tunisia (!). There's a funny story about how I discovered this band, which is that I got one of their CDs (Desert Call) from an online Christian metal distributor. However, Tunisia is a nation that's 99% Muslim, so the likelihood they are really a Christian band is pretty close to zero--I think it's more likely that someone at the distributor made a mistake. Nevertheless, especially in their first two albums, Hope and Desert Call, some of the lyrics are theistic and sound like they could have been written by a Protestant Christian (maybe the influence of their lyric writer?). Though the lyrical themes become a little darker on later albums, there's still nothing terribly objectionable (that I've seen), so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to people on here. Besides, they're the first and I think only metal band from Tunisia to be signed to a major label and experience commercial success, and as I dug out and listened to Desert Call again, I was really impressed by just how good they are! Check out Tempest of Sorrows for a good entry point.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Return to Jam Session