New Dream Theater album, anyone?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

New Dream Theater album, anyone?

Postby Vilo159 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Ah, such a good album! I haven't listened to it in its entirety yet, but I'm liking what I've heard. Very cinematic, very epic. A strong statement, especially for a self-titled album. I particularly like The Bigger Picture and The Enemy inside.

.... No? Oh, alright then. I'll go back to lurking now.
Vilo159

Re: New Dream Theater album, anyone?

Postby Xeno » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:06 pm

I haven't listened to Dream Theater in a while. Isn't this the first album they've released since Portnoy left the band? That alone kind of makes me not want to listen to it.
Xeno

Re: New Dream Theater album, anyone?

Postby Vilo159 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:02 pm

The second. A Dramatic Turn of Events (which unfortunately I haven't listened to yet) was the first one with Mike Mangini, the new drummer, and he essentially just played the parts they gave him because he came in so late. On this album he was fully incorporated into the writing of the songs, making his own parts, etc. I think he's done an excellent job; I can hardly tell the difference. I didn't hear him in the previous album, but he's done really well on this one.
Vilo159

Return to Jam Session