PhD is done

Talk about anything in here.

PhD is done

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:54 am

I missed celebrating my 18th CAA anniversary because, as they say in the ads, I went to Walt Disney World to relax after successfully defending my dissertation in late June.

So I have a PhD. For those of you contemplating one, I'd just say - go for it. It really is more about persistence than anything else. I remember one Pathologist who told me that he was a "plodder", and while not particularly brilliant, he trudged his way through medical school, residency, the boards, and so on. And a PhD, at least for me, was much like that -- putting one foot in front of the other, honoring the formalities of academia, listening to your academic chair and committee, understanding what 'academic rigor' is and isn't.

For anyone curious -- there's an area of economics that studies what is known as anticipated regret, that is, regret that we feel we might have if we make certain decisions, which influences those decisions and usually makes us risk-averse. There are frameworks and mathematics and heuristics involved. Then there's an area of medicine that studies what is known as decision (or treatment) regret, that is, regret we feel after we make a decidedly bad medical treatment decision or have a bad outcome; this can lead to depression, a loss of quality of life, and distrust of medical authorities. There are studies of frequencies and demographics and procedures. Are the two related? I thought they might be. Daniel Kahneman, a Nobel laureate who basically wrote the book on pre-decisional rationale (known as Prospect Theory), had his doubts, but outside of the lab not much research had been done. My dissertation demonstrated that the mathematics of anticipated regret could be applied to medical decision regret, and they quite conclusively showed that something I called 'longitudinal decision instability', which is based on stochastic (random) processes evaluated using those mathematics, corresponded to areas of significant decision regret in localized prostate cancer patients (who have among the highest of all decision regret scores in patients with cancer). There's more to it than that, but that's my elevator speech.

Anyways, I was visiting and noticed I hadn't updated my profile. I thought I'd give the few of you who are still around a little insight into what my experience was, and what sort of work you might expect doing a PhD. If you've contemplated it seriously... I say go for it.
ClosetOtaku

Re: PhD is done

Postby Rose Faerie » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:33 am

Wow! That's so impressive!
Rose Faerie

Postby shooraijin » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:33 am

Fantastic! Congratulations. Join the Dr. club. :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:12 pm

Impressive! I defended my master's thesis this June and felt like I had pushed myself to my uppermost limit. I can only imagine how exhausting (and fulfilling) it must be to get a PhD. Congrats!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby shooraijin » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:00 am

What's your Master's in? Fortunately I didn't have to do a defense for my MPH, whew.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kaori » Tue May 23, 2023 3:11 pm

Very belatedly, congratulations! It sounds like you found a good under-researched topic to explore.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Return to General