Missing us? Where are you?

Talk about anything in here.

Missing us? Where are you?

Postby Furen » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am

This post is to do two things:
1. How are you? What are you up to these days? It's been a while, and I've love to hear from y'all, old and new.

2. I shared it recently on another post, but I wanted to say again, we have a Discord and a decent few regulars there. We don't claim it's the official server, but we have people from the forum and would absolutely love to see you and reunite (link at the end of the post)

We also have a bunch here who would love to get the forum up and running again. I love forums and think they're severely lacking in the modern day. I liken the Discord to the more active chat at this point, but the forum is still dear in my heart.

The link to join is here, and I hope we get to see some familiar faces again :)
https://discord.gg/RjgGrbS
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Re: Missing us? Where are you?

Postby Peanut » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Furen wrote:We also have a bunch here who would love to get the forum up and running again. I love forums and think they're severely lacking in the modern day. I liken the Discord to the more active chat at this point, but the forum is still dear in my heart.

Agreed. I think a number of people share this sentiment. As long as people continue to post the forums will be around.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Kaori » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:56 am

(0_0)/

1. Hanging in there. Mostly what I do these days is Japanese->English translation, with a bit of teaching on the side.

2. Well, I've joined various Discord servers, including CAA's, but I dunno, I guess real-time chatting in a chat room or server or whatever doesn't really appeal to me.

So, I'm like you both, I really like forum-style interactions.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:58 am

I don't discuss my job much these days but it's busy right now. I like forums because I can consume them as I have time to. But I'm glad to see the other CAA and CAA-alike groups in other settings.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Furen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 am

shooraijin wrote:I don't discuss my job much these days but it's busy right now. I like forums because I can consume them as I have time to. But I'm glad to see the other CAA and CAA-alike groups in other settings.

I appreciate that. Having time to pull back and think more on a response is far more cordial than the instant response feel of higher intensity servers. I'd love to figure out how to act more like a person reading a forum than responsively in a real-time chatroom (though I do be missing Chatty)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat May 01, 2021 12:49 am

Awww, poor chatbot must be so lonely without us.

I'm still in old Japan land, struggling through the dumb decision to go for a master's in education. Hopefully someday I'll be glad I didn't quit.

Good to see people still kicking. And jealous of you, Kaori. I do mostly English teaching, with a bit of translation on the side haha. Let me know how to get more of those great translation jobs. Speaking of which, I might as well take this opportunity to advertise. I got to translate subtitles for a play recently and it's on Youtube! If anybody's interested give it a look. It's a really good story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfR_tv8ARFM
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby shooraijin » Sat May 01, 2021 9:14 am

It's good you did the subtitles; I can barely hear them (my poor Japanese comprehension is bad enough without that).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Kaori » Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:I'm still in old Japan land, struggling through the dumb decision to go for a master's in education. Hopefully someday I'll be glad I didn't quit.

Good to see people still kicking. And jealous of you, Kaori. I do mostly English teaching, with a bit of translation on the side haha. Let me know how to get more of those great translation jobs.

I guess it is ironic to say "don't be jealous" when I am jealous of you (for still being in Japan), LOL. Even after doing interpretation/translation for close to 5 years now, being able to move back to Japan is so far out of sight it feels impossible. I've also thought about doing exactly what you're doing and getting a Master's in Education (that, or at least a license, is what I'd need to get back into teaching), so your decision is very sensible. Hang in there!

And I also seriously cannot recommend getting into translation as a career. At least, not freelance translation. Machine translation for Japanese to English is still pretty terrible at this point thanks to the fact that Japanese leaves out so many words (subjects, objects, etc.), but it is improving all the time. Even as it is right now, it's hard to find companies that will pay decent rates (i.e. a living wage), and there's bound to be continued pressure in the future to lower unit rates for translation as MT improves and becomes more widely used--it will also increase competition among translators, as customers with tight budgets will likely increasingly opt for MT or post-editing instead of translation.

But there are some other potential things you might be able to do in the translation field other than pure translation, like:
・In-house interpretation/translation positions, if you feel your spoken Japanese is good enough to tackle interpreting
・Machine learning (to help machine translation take away translators' jobs, LOL--a very smart way of keeping ahead of the automation curve)
・Working as a project manager with a translation agency (wrangling freelance translators to complete end clients' projects)
Just some food for thought. But I will PM you with some translation shop talk anyways.

Speaking of which, I might as well take this opportunity to advertise. I got to translate subtitles for a play recently and it's on Youtube! If anybody's interested give it a look. It's a really good story.

That's pretty awesome!

Shooraijin wrote:It's good you did the subtitles; I can barely hear them (my poor Japanese comprehension is bad enough without that).

It's pretty hard for me to make out some parts of what they're saying, too!--the acoustics are pretty echoey and not terribly clear.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri May 07, 2021 3:21 am

Kaori wrote:
Shooraijin wrote:It's good you did the subtitles; I can barely hear them (my poor Japanese comprehension is bad enough without that).

It's pretty hard for me to make out some parts of what they're saying, too!--the acoustics are pretty echoey and not terribly clear.

Yeah I'm just realizing this as you guys mention it. I think the only reason I could make it all out is because I had the script to work with. Thanks for watching, though! I'm definitely not a pro (and I butchered the plays on words), but it boosts the self-esteem to see my work on the world wide web.

And thanks for the tips, Kaori! I guess I shouldn't be jealous. I feel so honored to be here when a lot of people can't, but I have to admit living alone in a foreign country during a pandemic is a very weird experience.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby Kaori » Mon May 10, 2021 6:42 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:
Kaori wrote:And thanks for the tips, Kaori! I guess I shouldn't be jealous. I feel so honored to be here when a lot of people can't, but I have to admit living alone in a foreign country during a pandemic is a very weird experience.

Likewise, I should probably be grateful I have an opportunity to use Japanese in my daily work, something probably lots of people wish they could do. I just found it humorous that we were both envious of each other--turn it around, and it's a good opportunity to stop and look at the things we have to be grateful for. :)

MAL
Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 pm

I have to admit ... a pandemic is a very weird experience.

T, FTFY. ;)

shooraijin

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue May 11, 2021 9:38 pm

Touche :lol:

ClaecElric4God

Postby raider~joseph » Thu May 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Wow. The site is still up. Anyone remember me per chance?
raider~joseph

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:07 am

Yes! The question is, do you remember me?

ClaecElric4God

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:47 pm

well, I've moved into an apartment for the first time while I prepare myself for a fresh college semester.

I remember this site very fondly....who all remembers the little trouble that was me XD
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:19 am

1. What am I up to these days ...

- Working
- Doing housework
- Helping with my kid's homework

Seems to be a lot of work related things going on.

When I can find the time, try to build something with my LEGO, or buy some action figures.

2. Thanks for the discord link, might check it out.
Sammy Boy

Postby Furen » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:16 pm

Wolfsong wrote:well, I've moved into an apartment for the first time while I prepare myself for a fresh college semester.

I remember this site very fondly....who all remembers the little trouble that was me XD

Oh man... I'm moving back into dorm. I've been at the school for five years, and last year I couldn't due to the school's logistics. I'm actually not excited to go back, which upsets me. I love the school, and like a decent few classmates, but it's been a while, and I'm so tired of so many things people see me as there.

I hope that things go well on your end!
Furen

Return to General