So why are all the pokemon professors named after trees?

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

So why are all the pokemon professors named after trees?

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun May 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Elm, Oak, Birch, haven't played diamond pearl or platinum I watched the first episode or 2 in the series Juniper forget the one in x but pretty sure it was a tree or else I wouldn't have thought “Come on guys another tree seriously?”
Never thirsty!

Re: So why are all the pokemon professors named after trees?

Postby goldenspines » Sun May 04, 2014 3:14 pm

I googled this and I will share the results of what I found.

some guy on a pokemon forum wrote: The same reason all saiyans are named after vegetables.

Theme naming is quite common in Japanese media, it makes it much easier to remember and come up with new names.

another guy on a pokemon forum wrote: I think it's due to trees being known in folklore to be wise and all knowing, in a sense. Since a Pokemon Professor's basically the embodiment of those attributes, they named them after trees/plants. The trend started strongest with Oak, as oak trees are known as old and wise (exactly what Professor Oak is).

THIS GUY wrote: They're all secretly Ents.

Interestingly enough, people also have the theory that Ash will become a pokemon professor later in his life because of his name.

More reference about each pokemon professor and what they study: http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Professor

And this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Why-are-t ... 1092390498

For people who are just like you. =D
goldenspines

Postby faithb4sight » Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Interestingly enough, people also have the theory that Ash will become a pokemon professor later in his life because of his name.

^ :wow!: Woah.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sun May 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Like Goldy quoted/said, theme names are pretty popular in Japan. It's all over the Pokemon franchise as well, it isn't only the professors. Most cities in each region have theme names, ie Kanto's cities have a color theme: Cerulean City, Lavendar Town, Pallet town (Yeah pallet isn't a color but what do you put on a pallet? colors/paint). Most obvious are the game names in each generation following theme name conventions. Not all the themes are as obvious Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald but they're there if you look hard enough for them.
DaughterOfZion

Postby LastLfan » Sun May 04, 2014 7:25 pm

I like the whole ash professer theory. Most starting towns are also related to plants in some way such as newbark twinleaf and littleroot
LastLfan

Postby Nate » Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 pm

DaughterOfZion wrote:Not all the themes are as obvious Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald but they're there if you look hard enough for them.

Except Sinnoh which has no common theme to the names!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Laiseran » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:54 pm

It makes me wonder if anyone has made a Pokemon/LotR crossover? That would be cool to see.
Laiseran

Postby mdmrn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:16 am

I personally like the theory that they're all secretly Ents...

But interesting nonetheless. :)
MDMRN
Christian -- Dad -- Husband -- Engineer -- Conservative -- Beard Aficionado -- General Dork
mdmrn

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews