League of Legends

Have a video game or or VG review? This is the place to to discuss it! We also accept discussions of board games and the like, but SHHH! Don't tell anyone, OK?

League of Legends

Postby Moose » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:42 am

Was wondering if anyone here played LoL. The few people I do know I play with already.
If anyone is interested in playing some matches (usually Co-op vs. AI since the average pvp match may contain less then helpful commentary from allies and opponents) or would like to get into the game look me up. My screen name is Mooseyking and I'd be happy to help with advice on tactics and general game tips.

For current players you can use this thread to talk about your favorite champs to use and give advice/ recommendations on champions you think other players might enjoy.

My biggest recommendation is this guide here:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/5-champs-you-should-know-how-to-play-aka-who-do-i-buy-next-70445#chapter8

It gives a good breakdown of each of the roles in the game as well as sorting the champions into their respective roles. Enjoy being the AP Carry but getting tired of your character, there's a list of characters with the same role but different play styles.

If you add me on Lol comment that you came from CAA so I can add you to the CAA friend folder.
Moose

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:47 pm

*plants a Mushroom*

Teemo, reporting for duty!

I got into LoL when I found out that the game was totally free. I play ranged DPS almost exclusively, with Teemo as my primary and Tristiana as my secondary. Lux + Teemo is probably my favorite combo currently, since it results in both players being insanely fed by around 10 minutes.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:13 pm

I got into LoL, but I didn't invest much time into it to really get into it. I really liked playing with Veigar.

Maybe I should reinstall it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:48 pm

*shoots an ice arrow across the map*
Ashe here! Let's move!

Of course she's my favorite right now :P I want to be able to use her abilities really well in the game before I move on. (I guess I can compareit to leveling up my WoW character to 85 XD) It's just how I roll.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby MrKrillz0r » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 am

Finally there is a LoL thread! Been waiting for this! ^^

Anyway I play at Europe so I probably won't be able to enjoy the game with you guys unless I make a US account as well, which I'm actually planning to do someday. ^^

My favorite champions are: Nunu(AP build), Kennen and Corki! And yeah I got some experience with Teemo/Tristana, but thats about it.

Anyway when you get fed after 10 minutes, are you playing against bots or against real players? Never seen that combo live actually, would be great to see it someday. Especially since I know nothing about Lux really, except that she can shoot some sort of beam that have a insane range. (I might be wrong)

*In case you didn't see the pattern, I only play cute champions. :3*
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:04 am

That was against bots if I remember correctly when we mulched them, but the combo is pretty mean overall. I don't think there's an international server restriction, since I've heard of Korean players showing up in games before. Lux has a lot of fun stuff, and though she's billed as support, she's scary strong if built right, and very flexible.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby KougaHane » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Twekve. I mispelled "twelve" on accident, while counting up in a frustrated attempt to find a name that wasn't taken. add me you guys ^_^
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:12 pm

Oh and the name you're looking for for me is Scorpionfish.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Valkaiser » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 pm

I mostly play Soraka, with a little Nasus and Cassiopeia mixed in for variety.
It's been a few months since I could play (bad internet/buggy updater), but I've been playing on and off since the beta.
I still need to catch up on the new heroes... Pure support has to know when to turn tail and run :sweat:
Valkaiser

Postby armeck » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:06 pm

heeeeeeeeeeeeey this game evolved from DotA! XD i now have the song stuck in my head
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby MrKrillz0r » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Recently started playing Twisted Fate and I love this champion! Totally epic with double teleport. The only bad thing with him is that he is terrible squishy and kinda useless and weak early game. ^^ But if you play him right you'll be so feeded late game that you can push inhibitors all by yourself and you can teleport away as soon as a enemy comes near.
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:39 am

I have it installed (I was doing a reference thing for one of my fave webcomic artists). I'm really no good at these games- total cannon fodder! Does someone have good tips, or know something online that can give an idea of how to play decently- without dying once every minute?
Atria35

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:55 am

Atria, I'm new to it too, and I simply looked up information about the Champion I play the most. And found some interesting specs on how to build her. I'm still REALLY new and I haven't been playing as good due to internet/hardware issues. :/

What you need: BOOTS. They help you run faster, riiiight Mech? ;)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 am

^ xD Glad to know I'm not the only one. It's just that any sort of games like this... WoW, LoL, whatever, I'm very bad at. Specs mean very little to me when I read them. I have to play and experience what's happening. Which means a lot of practice.

I do know that so far my fave champion has been Kayle, I seem to die less as her and apparently am decent support with some of the backup spells for the other players.
Atria35

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 am

[quote="ChristianKitsune (post: 1488235)"]

What you need: BOOTS. They help you run faster, riiiight Mech? ]

Yeah... I didn't use them at all last night. I died 4 times, 3 which were turret dives trying to kill Ryze. Maybe if I'd had boots I could have gotten out...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Valkaiser » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:28 am

Atria35 (post: 1488233) wrote:Does someone have good tips, or know something online that can give an idea of how to play decently- without dying once every minute?

This amuses me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdmOtAV7i4
An old video, but I'm in it! :D
(As Soraka)

The same guy did a bunch of beginner videos.
I can't attest to the quality though (not enough bandwidth for frivolous streaming...).

EDIT: Oh yeah, my handle on LoL is the same as here...
Valkaiser

Postby MrKrillz0r » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:27 pm

If you want to improve and become a better gamer you should first of all read guides. If you are gonna start out with a new champ, read a guide about him/her. Second of all, watch game commentaries/montages from pro's, it really helps you notice things you wouldn't do when ure playing ureself. And other than that, check forums, keep updated, and if you can try to find people to play with which is better then you are yourself, you'll learn incredible much this way.
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:38 pm

I just play 'm until they work... usually against bots.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ich1990 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:33 pm

I got really into it last year (up to level 27) and got pretty good with Vladimir and (if the team didn't have a tank) Rammus. I quit for six months after that and now I don't know what all the new characters' abilities are so I get destroyed.

I still enjoy rolling in with Rammus, flashing over the mob line, taunting the enemy DPS, and laughing evilly as they kill themselves on my thornmail. I might have lost the competitive edge, but that never gets old.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Moose » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 pm

most important basic advice I could give is:

- Learn when to push or run away. if your minion wave is down to 1-2 minions it might be a good idea to fall back to the next minion wave coming up.

- support the minion waves. I see alot of people just standing behind the minions and letting them do the work. if you don't get the last hit kill on minions you won't make money.

- boots. As mentioned before it's good to grab boots early. I know the big items are shiny but you don't have to solely focus on making one item at a time.

- find a role you like. I really liked playing the AD carry/support (Anivia/Lux) so I like trying out characters that play similarly. I find I play the game very cautiously (not a good fighter/tank but good mentality for AP carries) I linked a guide in an earlier post that describes the roles/playstyles of different characters so give that a look.

- Communication and support of teammates. If your in a lane with another champ it's good to know what abilities they have and how they can be paired up with your skills. This is one of the reasons I enjoy playing support because using the right abilities I can slow up enemy champs so the harder hitters can do their job easier. (Mech and I combine Lux's immobilize attack and Teemo's high fire rate/poison stacking to get early kills.) Nothing is more frustrating then watching an enemy get away with low health so it's best to go for an enemy champ at the same time, knowing what attacks to use when (don't open with a slow attack when the enemy isn't running away cause when they do run that attack will be on cooldown) and pinging to signal the start of the gank can lead to more successful kills.

- Health potions! Don't underestimate these especially early game, if you got the money after buying your first item there is no excuse not to pick at least one up. The healing on them can keep you in the lane longer and also save you from an early death by poison/ignite as the heal counteracts the damage dealt. they aren't to useful late game (you'll probably have lifesteal/spellvamp by then)

- Don't be afraid to go back to base. If you are really hurt (below 2-3 Bars in early game) and you didn't grab any health recovery items, just go back to base and heal. If you stay in the lane chances are you will either:
1: Stay so far back in the minion wave that you will not be contributing to pushing the lane/getting money/xp
2: get easily killed by the other team.
I've seen alot of players with no health try to run in and kill an enemy only to see then dropped by 1 attack.

- Tower diving. Please, It is FAR better to wound an enemy and make them run away from their lane (no xp/money for them until they get back) then to dive into the tower to get the kill but die as well. (decent xp but the money rewards have been reduced) Remember you might, MIGHT get the kill, but for the next minute or so you will useless to the rest of the team. This was a big problem in WoW when rogues wanted to spam as much damage as they could only to get aggro and die, and a dead rogue is useless.

- Aggro. A few tips, towers will target you if you hit an enemy champion with any attack while near the tower. Minions will target you if you hit an enemy champion with an auto attack, they will ignore hits from abilities. Don't underestimate the damage output of a minion wave in early game and towers are usually always dangerous. keep aggro in mind while harassing enemies. Use abilities to harass near minions and if your character can you can throw attacks at champs under towers and run out of range before they hit/tower targets you.

As not to feel too much like a rant I'll end it by saying it's not a super easy game (and is not actually earned a spot in the ESL for competitive gameplay with Starcraft 2 and counterstrike) I am no where near as good as most players out there but I'll be willing to help with the basics listed above. Mech and I and a few others usually get games in at night so if you'd like to play with us to get the hang of a new champ or learn the basics we'd be happy to oblige. I hope this post was informative and look forward to seeing you guys online.
-Mooseyking
Moose

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:49 pm

A lot of useful tips in this thread.

I've been playing off and on since this spring, at lvl. 10 currently.

I tend to play an AD or AP carry. Tristana or Anne mostly, Caitlyn if she's available.

I've had a few good matches playing Taric this last week, how well it went seemed to depend on who I wound up sharing a lane with. I think I'd play support more if I wasn't so reliant on random matchmaking.

Oh, right; "Lunchman343" is my moniker.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Furen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 am

I kinda play, it gets boring when it's random people who won't listen to strategy, but if you get a good team, it's fun.

if adding user is: FurenCAA

Annie is who I play, as she's so overpowered (or at least, as I know how to use her finally)
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:36 am

Furen (post: 1496103) wrote:if adding user is: FurenCAA

I can't find you, there's a Furen but no FurenCAA.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Avari Craven » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:45 pm

I play LoL as well... been playing since feb last year. got tons of toons unlocked and i really dont have a main character... i guess my ad ranged is ashe or cait. and my tanks are leona or singed. my ap carries are akali/viegar/malz/kat.... ad tough is renek or irelia. anyways i play a ton.

my name is the same "Avari Craven"

hit me up i dont mind sharing item strategies or tips

i have over 560 something wins and around 530 something losses... lots of free time last year...
Avari Craven

Postby MrKrillz0r » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am

The big moment has arrived, I'm level 30! :D:D:D Wohoho
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

League of Legends

Postby Masquerade1412 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:30 am

Masq, here!

I was wondering...How many people here play "League of Legends"?

My username is....Masquerade1412! (But that was obvious, now wasn't it?)
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Masq, please search for threads like this before posting new ones.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Masquerade1412 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:20 pm

*Huddles in a dark corner*

I'm sorry! T~T
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

For Those Who Play LoL

Postby Arya Raiin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Hey guys! I've been playing a lot of League of Legends lately, so I thought I'd check it out and see who else is playing it. Tell us your username and we/I will friend you.

My username is AryaRaiin
Arya Raiin

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Seriously folks, look before you make threads about popular games.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Next

Return to Video Games and VG Reviews