Hi I'm still alive

Make prayer requests or praise God in this forum. If you log out you make anonymous requests. However, your posts will be reviewed before they appear.

Hi I'm still alive

Postby Nate » Thu May 12, 2022 7:33 pm

Even though I know this forum isn't entirely.

But my house burned down. I have nothing left.

So that sucks.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Re: Hi I'm still alive

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 12, 2022 9:18 pm

Like, burned down to ashes??
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Nate » Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 pm

Well, not really ashes, I'd describe it more as "a pile of smoldering rubble." But most of the stuff I had was burned up, and even the stuff that didn't is stuck under the charred remains of the house and I think it's supposed to rain tonight. Like, there's basically no way my Switch or my 3DS survived. We were able to save some family photos out of the china cabinet towards the back of the house though, and aside from water on the floor (from the firehoses) and the mirror being broken, my bathroom was actually mostly intact. Which is nice, it means my contacts didn't burn up, they didn't even melt from the heat. And it meant that there was a cabinet full of dry, non-sooty towels.

So I mean...I guess I have that. And my car. But nothing else, really.

Nate

Postby shooraijin » Fri May 13, 2022 8:38 am

So what happened? Where did the fire start?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Nate » Fri May 13, 2022 1:31 pm

We're still not sure, the investigators are supposed to come out in a couple of days. It almost certainly started in the living room, the firefighters said that was the most damaged, and it's where I saw smoke coming from when I escaped. It could have been a malfunction in the gas heater in the room, or maybe a mouse in the wall chewed on a bare wire and started a spark. That's all we can think of since nothing electrical was on in the room other than the heater.

Nate

Postby Kaori » Fri May 13, 2022 9:28 pm

That's a horrible thing to have to experience. I'm very sorry. Are your mother and her husband all right?? Please make sure to see a doctor if anyone has smoke inhalation symptoms, as that can be very dangerous.

Did you have insurance on the house? Have a place to stay?

If you haven't already, you can contact American Red Cross. They can give you some money to help out with expenses. It may not be a whole lot, but certainly better than nothing. Whatever social support systems are available in your area, please don't be afraid to use them--they exist precisely for disasters like this.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby shooraijin » Sun May 15, 2022 10:08 am

The Salvation Army can help as well. Is the investigator from your insurance, or from the fire department?

shooraijin

Postby Nate » Mon May 16, 2022 4:45 pm

Insurance, I assume, but I'm not really sure. I just know we can't really try and dig through the remains to salvage anything until they've finished.

Nate

Postby steenajack » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:02 am

I’m glad to see you’re still alive. :/ Please stay safe and take advantage of the resources available to you. Losing everything like that is devastating. When you’re safe, take as long as you need to grieve.
steenajack

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:41 pm

I'm still alive, still.

I'm still living with my brother, which is rough for him but I'm glad he's willing to put up with it.

I have a new job that is amazing. If you're in the Raleigh Durham area of NC, stop by a store called Game Theory and you'll find me most days!

I obviously can't say I'm glad the fire happened. But I wouldn't have gotten this job, or even known it was possible to have a job I didn't hate, if it hadn't happened. So I'm glad at least some good came from it.

Nate

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 pm

Glad to hear about the job. Haven't been to Raleigh-Durham in a few years. We were out at Research Triangle looking at a couple vendors.

shooraijin

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:42 am

At least that's something of a silver lining, as hard-earned as it was. You still around on Discord?
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:39 am

Ante Bellum wrote:At least that's something of a silver lining, as hard-earned as it was. You still around on Discord?

Oh yeah I am, I forgot you were in the FFBE discord. After I lost access to my old Discord I just never came back since I'd long given up on FFBE.

Guess I'll post it publicly, but yeah my new discord is Crimbleshins#9605

Nate

Return to Prayer Room