Host Club

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:07 pm

The manga manages to pull it off without so much boy love references.. (besides the twins anyways). In fact, it manages to pull it off rather well considering it's the original. Sorry, but be careful with your thinking. Don't compromise any Biblical beliefs because a show "wouldn't be the same/as good without it."

*kicks aside soapbox* ANYHOW

When Renge does show up in the manga she's actually funny. I like manga-Renge, but not anime-Renge.
Kawaiikneko

Postby ducheval » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:56 am

Eh. not everyone has the same biblical beliefs =P Let's not go into that, but I myself have no conflict whatsoever.
ducheval

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:19 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:The manga manages to pull it off without so much boy love references.. (besides the twins anyways). In fact, it manages to pull it off rather well considering it's the original. Sorry, but be careful with your thinking. Don't compromise any Biblical beliefs because a show "wouldn't be the same/as good without it."

*kicks aside soapbox* ANYHOW

When Renge does show up in the manga she's actually funny. I like manga-Renge, but not anime-Renge.

The boy-love stuff seems to be cooling off a lot more as the series goes on (even in the anime), especially as we get to see the twins interacting with non-fangirls (thus rendering such an act unnecessary) and as they begin to assert their own unique personalities. I've actually really been enjoying their relationship as it gets deeper and more realistic; the boy-love was a fun parody gag (imo), but it was so fake.

I'm mostly indifferent about Renge; maybe I'd like her better if I could get my hands on the manga.
Aka-chan

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:33 pm

As a parody gag the boys love thing is really funny, but the whole idea of it still makes me uncomfortable.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:46 pm

I was told this story is actually strongly based on that of Utena, with people pointing out a significant number of parallels. I don't know Utena and I don't want to start any discussion on it, but I was just wondering if anyone knows both series and could let me know if there's anything to beware here. As in, Ouran won't be taking a nasty turn for the worse, will it? Feel free to be general if it's something that could be touchy.
Aka-chan

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:44 pm

You mean Revelutionary Girl Utena? Hmm I've read Utena and I never drew any parallels.... they're nothing alike.
Kawaiikneko

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:30 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:hey dragonnova! nice to have another host club fan around CAA! First off I would HIGHLY suggest you pick up the manga as I think it has far less yaoi suggestiveness than the anime does. Yes, the twins still have their whole act, but it's not as focused on as the anime. Plus Honey/Mori isn't hinted at (a part of the anime that made me SO MAD!!).

LOL, my sister and I were so **** when they had that anime episode that hinted at Mori+Honey. It's not even in the manga at all, something completely different happens. I'm glad to know that someone else got annoyed by it. I would also highly suggest you pick up the manga since there is lots of extra stuff the anime misses, plus the art style is beautiful!

Now that the anime is over... I think they cooled down on the boy love stuff as we saw the twins react with more people then each other. There is also a manga chapter that just came out that reinforces the idea that everything the twins do is calculated. XD So it's safe to say the put up the whole boy love thing to give the customers a thrill and inflate their egos even more with the girls squealing. Although I do hope they do more episodes, I was starting to get really sick of some of the gags (bananna peels, Renge popping up). Actually Renge in the anime is waaay yaoi crazy whereas Renge in the manga is just ... crazy. That's part of the reason why I don't like anime Renge as much, and that's another reason whey the manga doesn't have nearly as many yaoi references.

The story is nothing like Utena at least not that I can think of. I've watched quite a few episodes of that series and... I don't see the comparisions. They are similar in ways that most animes have similarities but I would say it's more like Hana Kimi or some of the other "girl disguised as a boy" series then Utena.

Since Host club is still going strong it's a little hard to say if anything objectionable will come out as it continues to go (Fruits Basket has dropped in my estimation because of what happens as the manga goes on). But I think it's safe to say that it will continue in this similar path. If you've read other stories by this manga artist you will see she's more into comedy and interesting characters then controversial subjects/cutting edge stuff.

I did a very cool wall of a anime pic. I'll have to post it once I can get the font figured out. ]
Was anyone else shocked by what Kyoua's Dad said at the end of the anime? "I might want Haruhi to marry Kyoua." ?!?!?! WHAT!! I actually screamed I was so shocked. And I love how Tamaki's Dad responds: "then we can't be friends, that is the one think I am DEFINATELY against." :lol:
[/spoiler]

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Nami » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:51 am

Actually I wasn't Myrrhlynn, I knew it would happen.. Thats just the way his dad is XP lol

I don't know why everyone hates Tamaki, he is my absolute favorite! He is awesome! He may be annoying, but he is really funny and cute ^_^ Poor guy! He just needs Haruhi and it will all be alright XD

Of course this is just my opinion, I have been a TamakixHaruhi fan since the beginning of the series.. But, as I always say, I respect your opinion. And I hope you can respect mine XD

I have read volume 1-3 so far, and I am having my friends and family buy me the manga XDD I can't wait to own it!
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

So I'm pretty hooked on this show now. XD I'm up to episode 12, and I've loved it so far. I'm considering buying the manga, but I'm not quite sure...I mean, I can see from what you've all written that there's less shounen-ai-esque content in the manga, but the very fact that it's still there makes me wonder what would happen if my mom ever decided to randomly flip through a copy...XD It would take a looong time to explain my way out of that one...@_@ Still, it's a very funny show. Tamaki-kun FTW. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:31 pm

Lol, yes this is definately NOT a series I would want me Mom to walk in on me watching. XD She walked by when my little sis and I were watching Fruits Basket once and she heard Kyou swear (in cat form). She almost flipped out because a "cartoon" cat was swearing. :lol:

I would suggest see if you can find Host Club in a bookstore and look through it to see how comfortable you are with the twins anctics. Since you've seen the anime you'll know where to look in the manga to find those parts.

One thing I don't think I've mentioned before is that the manga is really well translated and edited. I read some scanlations before it was licensed and they are actually very similar reads for a change. Which is more then I can say for some of the other manga companies out there. :\

So yes this show is very funny and everyone should watch it ;) < / Host-Club-Propoganda >

And here's a very small version of the Ouran vector I did (from an offical scan).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Nami » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:12 am

My mom is great about that stuff, I mean she doesn't appreciate the swearing but she laughs hard at Fruits Basket, we all love it ^_^ I told my mom about Ouran and she just rolled her eyes, I told her it was really funny! Now it's my Dad who would have a fit XP lol he over re-acts!

It definately has less suggestion of Shounen-ai in the Manga, but the Anime is still just as enjoyable ^_^

I finished it and I was crying T_T It was such a good ending lol

You colored that piccy Myrrhlynn? Thats awesome! :jump:
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby dyzzispell » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:19 am

I just watched episode 1 on Tokyo Pop Rocks 2 days ago. I think it is adorable, but I have to find time to watch any more. I also watched the first episode of Aishiteruze Baby and that one looks great too.
So many anime/manga, so little time!! XD
In Christ,
Dyzzi

Also on Smackjeeves
"Work In Progress" Facebook Fan Page
My DeviantART

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." - Colossians 3:23 NIV
dyzzispell

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:46 pm

This is only a little off topic, but what does everyone think of the Love Egoist stories? I love them =]
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Volume 8 is out! Who else has read it?

I loved the Kyoya meets Tamaki story. Very funny

I REALLY can't wait for the next volume, b/c it'll have stories that were never in the anime. I like reading something new, so I think that's why this volume was spoiled for me. I knew I shouldn't have watched the anime eps of manga I hadn't read... but I have no self-control. XD;; Still, I thought the manga version were better than the anime versions. If you've read this thread... SHOCKER that I would say that, huh?
Kawaiikneko

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:05 am

I've just recently discovered this wonderful series! And to think, if I hadn't stopped visiting CAA around this time last year I would have discovered it that much sooner! Why did I have to disappear for so long from here?

Anyway, I've just started buying the manga. When I was at the Books-A-Million the other week I bought volume 1 and 2. They didn't have 3 or 4 but they had 5, 6, 7 etc. Darn it... So alas, I am a bit behind in the manga, but I have seen the anime, and the anime covers to a certain point in the manga. So what volume does the manga start covering things that aren't in the anime?
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:18 pm

Volume 9, which isn't out yet, but the manga has little things in it that aren't in the anime or differ from the anime (example: the whole beach trip...). Another perk of the manga is the Romantic Egoist sidestory. It's very good on its own merit.

I love your twins icon *glomps*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:47 pm

*twins icon is glomped* ^^ I have a bunch more of them! I love the twins!

Yeah, its been my experience that the manga is better than the anime and has more details/extra scenes etc. I'm looking forward to it, and I can't wait to get back to the bookstore and buy the next few volumes! I'll buy all they have that I can! *saves her money for manga* >.<
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby dragonnova » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:29 pm

Oh my goodness kawaiikneko you were SO RIGHT!!! I LOOOOOVE!! major total flyng glomp Bisco Hatori for her greatness LOVE the manga! I'm on book 7 right now (just up and bought them all I love it so much, it's nice having two more in my pile of manga to look forward to ^_^ ) anyway, I'm on book 7 right now and I just adore the manga so much more than the anime. I mean I still love the anime but there's just so much more to the manga, I just can't get enough of it.

and it's funny I adore all the characters now (even the twins, I love them so much in the manga), I've never found a series where I loved every character I meet in it. now if I can just draw everyone... I can't seem to do it for some reason, like I just can't do them justice they're all so great >.<
dragonnova

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews