kingdom hearts manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

kingdom hearts manga

Postby rurouninaruto » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:38 am

I was wondering how the manga is to Kingdom Hearts. I am thinking of buying it, because I don't know the story from the video game, and wanted to know if the manga was worth it. :thumb: I am not allowed to have any game station, except gameboy. :shady:
rurouninaruto

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:49 am

I've read the first volume of the manga in scans, and I remember it being pretty good. Nothing to write home about (since the manga story is exactly like the video game, and I played the game first), but it's good. The art is nice, it stays true to the story (from what I read, at least), and I would recommend it overall, yeah. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby rurouninaruto » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:36 am

Thanks for letting me know, Radical!
rurouninaruto

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:39 am

I have the first volume. I think the video game is done better than the manga (the pacing just works much better), but the manga has some nice art and it's a good adaption, so if you're interested in the story it'd probably be a good way to go through the story. ^^
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby rurouninaruto » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:44 am

thanks man.
rurouninaruto

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:54 am

Personally, I don't recommend it. Basically, it is a manga designed to exploit the popularity of Kingdom Hearts. Everything is crammed into a small space in terms of panels, pages, and overall pacing. It fails to be exciting, new (it is just an adaptation after all), or funny.

However, the second volume does contain an omake called "Cid's Day" which is so ridiculously not funny that it made me laugh aloud. It's become an inside joke in my family.
uc pseudonym

Postby USSRGirl » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:01 pm

The manga is almost exactly the same as the game with the exception of a few little extras (like Cid's Day). I thought the art was cute, but there's nothing there that will surprise you if you know the game.
USSRGirl

Postby oro! » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:27 pm

It adds in a couple of chibi stuff not in the game.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Everyone seems to praise the art, but I didn't like the art. Now I'm not commenting on the drawing style itself, that's probably fine. It's just the huge gap between the Disney characters and the typical anime/manga style characters, it doesn't look good together to me. In fact, it looks downright horrible. Add in the typical "anime" facial expressions and it just gets even worse...sorry, but Sora with bug eyes and his jaw dropping to the floor doesn't look funny or even good.

I guess in a video game, the difference isn't that noticeable because the graphics are pretty even throughout, but in a drawn manga, the difference in style between Disney characters and manga style characters is painfully obvious.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:18 pm

There's going to be an adaptation of the Chain of Memories game as well. What's so wrong with video games? They're not ALL offensive!
Oh, and I forgot to mention this. There are some great Disney comic books out there. I used to read stuff Carl Barks drew. He did some great stories, which also provided the inspiration for that great TV series Duck Tales
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rurouninaruto » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 pm

my mom and dad think that i will get addiced to video games. a perfect example of them being right is my best friend dakota. he plays his playstation2 every chance he gets!
rurouninaruto

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:01 pm

kaemmerite wrote:In fact, it looks downright horrible. Add in the typical "anime" facial expressions and it just gets even worse...sorry, but Sora with bug eyes and his jaw dropping to the floor doesn't look funny or even good.

I agree with you this time, too.

rocklobster wrote:There's going to be an adaptation of the Chain of Memories game as well.

I happened to see that just yesterday, coincidentally. But I assume it's by the same artist, so at most I'll browse it in a store because I didn't play Chain of Memories. I wonder if they'll keep doing the series this way. That's a shame, because I think Kingdom Hearts has a good enough universe to have an original manga instead of mediocre adaptations.
uc pseudonym

Postby Gritz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:06 pm

I though this adaptation would have mature themes in it unlike the game. I was wrong. If your reading the Jp traslated Manga, There are some cuss words from Riku like d**m and h**l. And there is the concept of death. But there is no blood in the manga whatsoever. I was dissapointed to find out that Sora's KeyBlade is blunt like a stick instead of bladed and sharp like a real sword.

:(
Gritz

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:17 pm

Though if you could actually cut someone with a blunt weapon that would be pretty effective.

GalvanizedRose wrote:It's all about what you like.

Well, I'm actually a believer in objective quality in art. But yes, I make broad allowances for personal taste. Despite this I feel the Kingdom Hearts manga is poorly done and it certainly does not appeal to me. I've tried to pick up Chain of Memories and KHII and both of them struck me the same way within the first chapter. That doesn't mean I think you or anyone else is stupid for liking it.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:34 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I agree with you this time, too.

I happened to see that just yesterday, coincidentally. But I assume it's by the same artist, so at most I'll browse it in a store because I didn't play Chain of Memories. I wonder if they'll keep doing the series this way. That's a shame, because I think Kingdom Hearts has a good enough universe to have an original manga instead of mediocre adaptations.

Especially since both are from respected creators in animation.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:28 pm

I tried to read it and didn't get very far. It was too much like reading a summary of the game than a full storyline. It really needed to be dragged out to full manga series length.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby KeybladeWarrior » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:11 am

Kingdom Hearts was okay. It was no big suprise for me since I played the game. Chain of Memories got better by adding more comical expressions for the characters faces and gives a better story than the game. I hope the Kingdom Hearts 2 manga coming out possibly in mid or late 2007 is good. I recommend Chain of Memories.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All
The CAA Moderators.

"YEAH TOAST! TOCAA!"
KeybladeWarrior

Postby Jessi Ray » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:56 am

Well I didn't like the art. You have goofy disany characters in one pannel, then anime FF characters in the next and Sora is stuck in a void of chibiness.

There are a copple of funny things, such as, the mini comics in the back. It stays true to the game's story though, so if thats what your after, then pick-up the box set for 10 bucks.

It's not horrible but if you can play the game. The game is much better :)
Jessi Ray

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:37 pm

After seeing some of the artwork behind and for the games, the Manga seems little more than a bait and switch. Not to mention that Kingdom Hearts is a more gameplay oriented series than a plot heavy, so there's not a lot of actual storyline to adapt. I'd rather play it than read it.
Fish and Chips

Postby ICE-rocks » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 pm

rurouninaruto wrote:my mom and dad think that i will get addiced to video games. a perfect example of them being right is my best friend dakota. he plays his playstation2 every chance he gets!

trust me, don't get into video games.... there just time consuming.
I'm back with a vengeance or at least anime studio :thumb:
ICE-rocks

Postby rurouninaruto » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:21 am

Well I have a PS2 now.
rurouninaruto

Postby rurouninaruto » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:22 am

I've had it since December. Oh, and I have both Kindom Hearts games.

Also, has anyone else heard that they're actually making a PS2 adaption of Chain of Memories? I can't wait.
rurouninaruto

Postby Tommy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:31 pm

Yeah, in Japan.

I don't prefer the KH manga.
There's no action, and it's too fast paced.
Tommy

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews