[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Host Club - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Host Club

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Host Club

Postby Kawaiikneko » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:44 pm

A friend recently recommended this series to me and I checked it out on scanlations. I have this policy that if I read a series in scanlations and get farther than a volume I'll buy it, but usually I just pick it up when I get the chance. With Ouran HS Host Club I loved it so much I bought the 4th and 5th volumes right off the bat on Amazon XD

So anyways, I was a little sceptical at the beginning of the series because of alot of the homosexual jokes and stuff. But as I got further into it the characters took on alot more.. well, character. They were more complex than the plays they put on to please the ladies (so to speak).

[spoiler]For example, the twins that act gay to be dramatic don't actually act that way when no one cares about it (around Haruhi in particular). They have their own little world and they're only each others friends, but they begin to reach out to Haruhi and accept her into their world. Mori is really deticated to Honey because of their family heritage, and his detication is really admirable. Honey doesn't always act like a cutesy little kid. I like to think that's very much an act, but that's yet to be seen. Kyouya is still not very illuminated, so to speak, but he's a very interesting character. I plain don't like Tameki (sp?), but he's an interesting character too. Annoying, but interesting.
Yeah so the only thing that really bothers me now is the fact that Haruhi's father is gay. At least they portray it as a choice. In a way I think it was important to shape Haruhi's character, because she care much about her gender. I think this series is partly about Haruhi rediscovering her "girl-ness"[/spoiler]

I wish I hadn't had to put all that in a spoiler... *siiigh* Someone tell me if all that's unimportant enough to un-spoilerize.

oh and the ever important question: Who should Haruhi end up with? I like Kyouya and Mori, but I doubt that will happen. After that I'd pick Hikaru! ^^ Never Tameki T_T He annoys me so much. Is that even his name? It sounds right....
Kawaiikneko

Postby MyrrhLynn » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:11 am

Tamaki

Well personally I don't think you had to put that in a spoiler box, because I feel if it's something you learn within a chapter or two (and it's not a huge suprise) then it's not a spoiler. But maybe we could just say *spoiler alert* and then gab about it as much as we want. :)

I am so happy to find a fellow Host Club fan. My sister and I love this manga, it's the only manga I love more then Fruits Basket. It doesn't seem very popular though. :( They don't even carry it in the Barnes and Noble stores. T_T

I've wondered too which guy she should end up with. Mori and Kyouya are my favorites, but I don't really mind Tamaki. There is no way she will end up with one of the twins because that would totally ruin everything they are as characters. I don't think she will end up with Honey either... XD

So what's your favorite part of the series? I love how funny it is, especially how the Host Club members can make the most mundane thing incredibally hilarious. (Like when they get so excited about eating instant ramen since it's "poor man's food" ;) )

I wish I could find out how many volumes are in the series. I think there are 7 out in Japan so the U.S. releases are almost caught up. Speaking of U.S. releases I really like the job they are doing on this series. The translations are very close to the scanlations I read of the first few chapters, and they are releasing them in a dependable schedule, which I love. :thumb:

Did you know that there is an anime coming out about it (in April)? I'm so excited I can hardly wait!

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Yes the anime!! Though I'm slightly sceptical about it. I like manga better than anime >.>

I prefer some of the lines from my scanlations to the books, but yeah they do a great job in the english version. There's a few awkward lines though.. like the way they word it I'm like... no one says that! lol

There is no way she will end up with one of the twins because that would totally ruin everything they are as characters.

Really? Wow I think Hikaru would go well with Haruhi. I mean, part of their story is about them branching out. I loved the most recent English volume and how Kaoru set Hikaru up with Haruhi. Kaoru seems to be maturing, but Hikaru isn't quite up there yet...

And I'm sad it isn't more popular too T_T
Kawaiikneko

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:44 pm

What is a Host Club?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Basically the guys entertain girls, not sexually or anything... just being charming and kinda putting on a show so to speak. At least that's how it is in the book. As I understand real host clubs are a bit worse...
Kawaiikneko

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:13 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:Basically the guys entertain girls, not sexually or anything... just being charming and kinda putting on a show so to speak. At least that's how it is in the book. As I understand real host clubs are a bit worse...

That's how it is in this manga, but yeah in reality it is a bit worse. At the actual club everything is very fancy and formal. The guys serve the girls wine/alcohol and basically talk and flirt with them. Usually the guys end up with regular paying customers who they may or may not become more serious with outside of the club(depending on how much the women will pay). In they end though I believe it's the guy's choice as to how involved he wants to get. There's a female version (girls entertain the guys) too, I don't think they are called host clubs, but I'm not sure what it is they are called then. There is a short little manga in one of the Host Club volumes about how Bisco Hatori goes to a host club for a "field trip" so she can research it a bit better. :lol:

Back to the manga though. Personally I think if Haruhi ended up with one of the twins it would totally pull them apart (in a bad way). I agree though that she would go well with Hikaru. She would go well with Kaoru too I think (maybe even better in some ways). I would totally love for her to end up with Mori. But he's so quiet and attached to Honey I don't know if that will happen. Speaking of Mori, at the end of the newest volume is that not freaky how he get's when he is tired? :wow!:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

MyrrhLynn

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:53 pm

That was hilarious!! XD And yes Mori is cool.

I like the mini series where the characters all do things that people write in and tell them to do. XD I think it was in volume 5...
Kawaiikneko

Postby Destiny » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:37 am

Hi! I love Host club! The characters are great and the episodes are always so funny!
I probably like the twins best. But I also love Kyouya and Mori, and Tameki (sp?) is okay. Honey is okay too... I mean I don't hate him or Tameki since they are super funny. Lol, I guess I like them all really!

The mini series are really funny, and I think it was volume 4 that had all those requests in it for 'things that probably won't happen'. (or something like that.) :thumb:

I can't WAIT to see the anime, I really hope someone subs it!
Do you yearn for magic? Saint Cloud

The Page Turner Radio Play
:?:
Destiny

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:48 am

Actually you are both wrong I think. Volume 4 is when they do Alice in Wonderland. Volume 3 is when she did all those requests like "Mad Honey" and "Haruhi yelling". :lol: Personally I prefer the normal stories to those little mini stories/request stories but I have to admit the mini stories are VERY funny. ;)

MyrrhLynn

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:31 am

I haven't gotten around to reading Host Club yet, but I thought I'd just drop in and mention some Host Club news which you guys probably already know. XD This Spring (this month, infact, if I'm not mistaken) a Host Club anime adaptation of the manga is slated to be released. Since I haven't gotten around to the manga, I'm really excited about the anime. :jump:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Destiny » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:30 am

Myrrhlynn is right, XD I smacked myself like half an hour later after I realized that. :sweat:
Suposedly the anime was suposed to be released yesterday. (I THINK, thats what Myrrhlynn thought at any rate.) I havn't seen any raws or subs out yet, but hopefully there will be some by the weekend! :grin:

Destiny

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:08 pm

Well Destiny showed me this site, but I thought I would share some of the screenshots of the anime. (It just aired on 4/4 !!) The animation looks fantastic. I just hope the voices are really good too. :lol: Looks like it has a lot of Japanes characters in it though (makes me wish I could read Japanese) ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MyrrhLynn

Postby Destiny » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:37 pm

Heheheh :thumb: :grin: :grin: :cool:
I'm cool
Cuz you know what?
I think I found the place to get the raws. :grin:
<mod snip>
If you go there scroll down untill you find the discussion about the anime. Click in there and they'll give you a link to the torrent. MIND YOU, I havn't tested it since I have dial up. :comp:

But I'm pretty sure thats it since they also have TOOONNNS of screen shots. Good luck to those of you who have something faster than dial up!

Mod note: Because of legal liabilities, we don't allow fansub or raws distribution website URLs here on the boards. Sorry!

Destiny

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:01 pm

I'm sure we'll get some subs pretty soon. I can't wait!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Read it Osaka!! You'll love it.

The thing I don't like about anime is that the art just isn't as pretty... *sigh* And this anime looks like kinda drab animation. Oh well, hearing the voices will make up for it.

I didn't really like the Alice in Wonderland story. It was... different. My favorite episode is when they go to the beach (Kyouya ^^)
Kawaiikneko

Postby Destiny » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:30 pm

I don't know, I didn't think the animation is that bad. But than again, I'm crazy about Host club in general. XD I LOVED the first episode! :thumb: :cool:

Destiny

Postby Bianca » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:32 pm

AWWW. I am not a fan of the series, but whomever transfered the series to anime did a great job! What amazing colours!
Bianca

Postby Destiny » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:36 am

I think BONES did it...or something like that. :eh: I don't know for sure. The colors are cool, but I love the way all the characters move. Tamaki swaggers, the twins move in sync, ect, ect. They got all the movements down PERFECTLY!

Destiny

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:48 am

oh I found a raw of the ep. and I take it back. The animation is really cute ^^
Kawaiikneko

Postby Destiny » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:55 am

Well the subbed version is out. Lunar did it, which surprised me since they weren't the ones signed up to do it. Episode two comes out Tuesday (I think.) ^_^ I can't wait to see it! :jump:

Destiny

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:00 pm

I hope this makes the fanbase bigger! I want Host Club to be more popular. It really deserves it. The characters are all really deep ^^
Kawaiikneko

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:53 pm

I think there must be lots of secret Host Club fans. XD There were lots of people talking about it on the site where I got the screenshots from. I agree though I really hope this makes the fanbase bigger. The voices on the anime are AWESOME! I never would have dreamed they would get the twins to sound so alike and yet different at the same time. I reallyl want to hear Mori talk more though. >_>

They compressed the whole first really long chapter into the first episode though. I really hopw they don't keep doing that or else it will be like a 13 episode series. T_T

MyrrhLynn

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:22 pm

I think that it was necessary for the first chapter though. I mean, it would have been weird not to find out Haruhi was a girl until the second episode. I mean, it would have turned me off had I not read the manga because I would have thought Haruhi was a guy and assumed it was a shounen ai show. ^^;

unless of course I read a synopsis XD THAT'S not the point. I think it fit okay in one ep, but I agree they'll have to stretch it out to make more than 13 eps. <.<;;

Although the manga is up to 30-something in Japan right? I dunno, there isn't much info about it. The only scans I could find were behind where the US releases are.
Kawaiikneko

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:00 pm

Wheeee! Screenies from the second episode! (I tried to pick non-spoiler ones). Ack! They did a chapter in an episode again. :eh: I think in Japan the series is up to volume 7 (plus a few chapters). Which means the English version is almost caught up. *sob* :sniffle: But I think you are right, there are probably enough chapters to do a 24 or 26 episode series, even if they don't have a "final conclusion" ending. :thumb: ... do you think Host Club could even have a real ending? I think it will just go on and on until Bisco Hatori gets sick of if. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MyrrhLynn

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:08 pm

Yeah, I think this series is almost undoubtably going to be 26 episodes. It just has that vibe. I'm really enjoying it thus far. I must read this manga now. . .

Now, you must excuse me. I have to rob a convenient store for some manga money. XD

Mangafanatic

Postby Destiny » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:23 pm

:lol:
Yeah, it will probably be 26 episodes unless it gets insanely popular. And I think volume 8 was just released in Japan... probably to try and hype up the anime.
It seems like they are doing one chapter = one episode so it probably will be around 26 episodes, if not a few more.

o_O I do wonder how she'll end it... XD you guys are right... I don't think it could have an ending seeing how they never GRADUATE each year. :dizzy: But maybe she will... XD In one of the manga volumes she said that all of the twins fans (which is ALMOST as many as Tamaki) proclaimed that they hate Tamaki and that he is 'going down' in the battle over Haruhi's heart. Not to mention there's like a cult out there for Mori... and some kind of a hit group for Kyoya... I think she would probably get blasted if she ever had Haruhi end up with a guy.

Destiny

Postby MyrrhLynn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:23 am

Oh I just finshed watching episode and it is just as good as the first one! There are some VERY hilarious parts in it. :lol:

You know though I was rereading the manga and I might cry if they don't animate the extra "spilled tea on Honey's bunny" chapter. Does everyone remember what I'm talking about? (I think it's in the first volume) It's short but it is soooo funny!

I am still amazed at the job the voice actors are doing. It is really cool to hear the twins talk in unison, in that way I'd say they beat the manga since in there they just have the same talk bubble above their heads. ;)

MyrrhLynn

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:27 am

yeah! I love all their voices. I've been more of a fangirl with this series than I've ever been before, because I'm actually downloading the raws the second they come out and then get the subbed when it comes out too XD I feel silly...

I want to see the bunny episode animated!! That would be funny, but I doubt they'll do it T_T

I doubt Bisco will actually pair up Haruhi with someone, but I'd like to see it happen. It'll probably be Tamaki, although that's not my first choice. He can be okay, but his type of character usually is the one I dislike the most. He has his moments though ^^
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:53 pm

Ah, I saw the third ep and the preview for ep 4 has me a little sad. Are they skipping the Twins argument ep? That was one of my favorites!
Kawaiikneko

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:34 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:Ah, I saw the third ep and the preview for ep 4 has me a little sad. Are they skipping the Twins argument ep? That was one of my favorites!

Well technically they just skipped ahead for episode 3, and then for episode 4 they went back to voluem 1 to do Renge's story. So episode 5 will be the twin fight don't worry. :)

Argh! I forgot to post screenshots of episode 3! Well here we go everyone. (I just LOVE that picture of Kyoya with the pie graphs. XD For those people wondering he's showing the difference of how much time Tamaki and the Twins spend with Haruhi. The Twins are on the left, Tamaki is on the right. ) :lol:

MyrrhLynn

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews