One Piece Discussion (Spoilers)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Sounds like Oda isn`t even close to making an ending arc. One piece is so far the longest series I`ve read. The longest mnaga i`ve ever seen had 24 volumes in total and was finished. oP seems like it will make 100 volumes.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:17 pm

All that's really been revealed on Gol D. Rogers is his true name (which I just said), that he's been to Skypiea, and he hid One Piece somewhere (which has just has much mystery to it as to him).

For all we know, he could have turned himself for the heck of it.

Or it could be neither. That could have been a red herring designed to throw people off.

True. Oda somehow manages to make up brand new characters on the dot that seem to work wonders for the situation.

And yes, OP is turning out to be one of the longest yet. It fits every description of an epic, so I find it no surprise.
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:27 am

MasterDias wrote:Nope.
Every now and then, there is a tidbit of info about him, but very little has been revealed about the Pirate King.

Ah, thanks for the answer. I always wondered if there was some super-powered Marine running around.

Tom Dincht wrote:Sounds like Oda isn`t even close to making an ending arc.

I don't think he even has the ending in mind. Due to the style of One Piece's story, he could probably go until it started to lose popularity.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:54 pm

Hm......true.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Myoti » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:00 pm

Ah, thanks for the answer. I always wondered if there was some super-powered Marine running around.

Well, unless Rogers had a Devil Fruits himself (which I kinda doubt), someone like Kozue (Aokiji) wouldn't really have too much of a problem (then again, the only person who managed to even come out tied with Rogers was Whitebeard... hmm...).

I don't think he even has the ending in mind. Due to the style of One Piece's story, he could probably go until it started to lose popularity.

Possibly. But the style makes me think more otherwise. There's so many little, seemingly insignificant details he's managed to pull back in for some incredible surprises (did you read Skypiea, UC? If not, you really, really should).
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:10 pm

Whether Oda's planned out all of the story arcs is one thing, however, I think he might have at least a general framework for some of the future events down.

I believe there was a statement made last year sometime that said One Piece was roughly at or near/approaching the half-way mark. Granted, that's rather vague and I don't have a source for that statement on me.

Sounds like Oda isn`t even close to making an ending arc. One piece is so far the longest series I`ve read. The longest mnaga i`ve ever seen had 24 volumes in total and was finished. oP seems like it will make 100 volumes.

Actually, there are a number of series that have greater than 24 volumes. Even Dragonball(counting both the original and DBZ) was 42 volumes in total. One Piece should be passing that within the next few months.
And even so, there are still manga series that are longer than that, some of which are still running.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:51 pm

I believe there was a statement made last year sometime that said One Piece was roughly at or near/approaching the half-way mark. Granted, that's rather vague and I don't have a source for that statement on me.

I wouldn't be surprised. With the growing length these arcs are getting, plus the fact we (supposedly) have only two members left (considering if Franky joins), we could be getting there soon.
Myoti

Postby MasterDias » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:27 pm

And then we get into something that I've been wondering recently. When Luffy stated something to the effect of "I need to gather a crew... I think 10 men should do it."(the basis for the speculation that there will eventually be 10 straw hats), was he considering himself in that number?

If he was, then it's 10.

If he wasn't, then it's 11.

I tend to pick the former over the latter, for the simple fact that 11 is a really awkward number to end on. At the most though, I can't see any more then 12 as if you get too many main characters, the series and action will become needlessly cluttered.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:23 am

Presuming that line is indicative of the series, I'm also pretty sure Luffy means 10 members including himself.

Myoti wrote:Possibly. But the style makes me think more otherwise. There's so many little, seemingly insignificant details he's managed to pull back in for some incredible surprises (did you read Skypiea, UC? If not, you really, really should).

No, I've been keeping up with only the American Shonen Jump. It's nice to have one manga in which I don't know what is going to happen. I only started reading recently so I could participate in discussion on at least some level. But when does Skypiea start? I'll at least consider it.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 am

The Skypeia arc technically begins at Volume 26/Chapter 237 and lasts until Volume 32/Chapter 302.

But the Jaya arc, which describes how the Straw Hats found out about and got to Skypeia, begins in Volume 24/Chapter 218.

MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:36 pm

What MasterDias said. If you don't read Jaya, you'll be lost when it comes to Skypiea (yes, actually plot between Arcs! :D ).

And then we get into something that I've been wondering recently. When Luffy stated something to the effect of "I need to gather a crew... I think 10 men should do it."(the basis for the speculation that there will eventually be 10 straw hats), was he considering himself in that number?

If he was, then it's 10.

If he wasn't, then it's 11.

I tend to pick the former over the latter, for the simple fact that 11 is a really awkward number to end on. At the most though, I can't see any more then 12 as if you get too many main characters, the series and action will become needlessly cluttered.

Hmm... hadn't thought about that. True though, I think he was counting himself.
Myoti

Postby Myoti » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:37 pm

Something here's not quite right... (*hint* look at Crocodile....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:11 pm

Attatched Thumbnails don`t show up on my computer. Can you post a link to that picture?
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Myoti » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Hai, Tomu-kun:
http://i1.tinypic.com/n4cr5c.jpg

Yes, FINALLY. It begins... next week.

[SPOILER]And "Sogeking" has found an interesting new attack, it seems. Perhaps "Kaku vs. Usopp/Sogeking" isn't too farfetched after all. :D[/SPOILER]
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:23 am

What`s wrong with Croc, eh?
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:11 am

What`s wrong with Croc, eh?

Dude. Look at his handS.
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:59 am

Ahhhhh.....Maybe he just attatched that hook or something to pierce people.
Or maybe Oda is tryin to brainwash people to believe he never had a claw.

Hmmm..
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:12 am

Just to confirm: the flashback has ended or will end next week?
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:10 am

It ended about half-way through this chapter. Next week, there is a good probability that we will know who fights who.

Ahhhhh.....Maybe he just attatched that hook or something to pierce people.

You likely hit the nail on the head actually. People had assumed that he was missing a hand because of other hook-armed villains in literature(Captain Hook, etc.) but given this cover-picture, he probably only attached the hook as a weapon.

And notice, that despite the fact that Crocodile, Mr. 1, and Mr. 4 are the only ones handcuffed, they are beating up everyone else in their cell.

MasterDias

Postby Myoti » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:22 am

Yes, the flashback is over. Next week: Cp9 vs. Strawhats, finally! XD

And yeah, it seems the BW leaders are strong even without their powers (if anything, Mr. 4 is probably enough).

It does make sense for the hook to have been just an attachment, as it always appeared... oddly big.
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:26 pm

Myoti wrote:Yes, the flashback is over. Next week: Cp9 vs. Strawhats, finally! XD

And yeah, it seems the BW leaders are strong even without their powers (if anything, Mr. 4 is probably enough).

It does make sense for the hook to have been just an attachment, as it always appeared... oddly big.

-In Napoleon Dynamite Voice-

Well some people have numchuck skills, katana weilding skills, swinging a gigantic Hook skills....Pedro, I wanna be like Crocodile and weild that SWEEEEEEET hook. Yes...
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Myoti » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:23 pm

Devil's Fruit are freakin' SWEET!

"Gimme some o' that."

No way, I'm freakin' STARVIN'. Go get your own!

*other person squashes DF*

Dang it...

Yay for partially off-topicness. :D
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:15 am

Myoti wrote:Devil's Fruit are freakin' SWEET!

"Gimme some o' that."

No way, I'm freakin' STARVIN'. Go get your own!

*other person squashes DF*

Dang it...

Yay for partially off-topicness. :D

Oh, we rock, Myoti.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Myoti » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:41 am

Hai. Ore-tachi wa "Rockness"! XD
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm most of the way through the Skypiea arc, to the flashback concerning its history (roughly chapter 286). Is this coming part what you really wanted me to read? Because otherwise I'm not motivated enough to do so.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:34 pm

If you're at the flashback, you should be almost finished with the arc as it is (right after this is the end of the Enel fight, I believe).
Did you not like? o.o
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:27 am

I was actually really involved when there were tons of fights going on all over the place and then I wanted to see the main villain die or at least how the arc turned out. But for some reason the flashbacks of One Piece bore me quickly; I can't bring myself to care about anyone involved. That's why I'm asking if the flashback includes information about the overall plot of the series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Myoti » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Some, yes. There are some important points in it you may want to go ahead and read through.
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:13 am

I did so, and I was able to interest myself in the backstory after it had gone on for a while. Following the flashback I read through what seemed like a standard arc ending (that is, until the big party). Now I'm curious as to those who have a fuller perspective, what would you say about the overall series plot?

[spoiler]In spoiler brackets, most likely. So far what I've seen is all about the 100 year gap in history.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Tommy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:34 pm

I like the plot, but I hate how one fight can take up to 3 volumes. It`s even worse than DBZ manga-wise in that category.

One thing I have to comment on...

I think the 4kids dub will take out Skypiea for the same reason they took out Little Garden.
It`s because they didn`t gain a new crew member.

BTW, unless it`s a member of the crew that we were already introduced to (IE: I liked Luffy and Zoro`s) I`m not a fan of OP flashbacks either.
Tommy

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews