Review Requests//Database updates

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:29 pm

Can I add to the requests RG Veda? I know Tokyopop's still hasn't come out with all the volumes, but maybe someone's at least read scanlations?
Tenshi no Ai

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:39 am

I'm curious about DearS. Is it just pointless fan service?
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:43 pm

This isn't a highly qualified opinion, just the first one in case no one else answers your question. Nonetheless, my answer for the moment is: yes. What I have seen of the plot is fairly shallow. Even if it becomes truly amazing, the plot is exploited for fanservice so extensively that the argument could easily be made.
uc pseudonym

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:22 pm

Is the reviews still going?

I still would like to do a Negima review. It's up to book 8 in English and I have read the scanlations on it so I know what the content is like in the series.

I would also like to write a review for Kare Kano - even though I have not completed the series yet haha. If no one writes a review by the time I complete the series, I would not mind writing a review up. I am on book 7 now and I believe there are 20 so I am not even close - but by the end of Jan I should be up to 15.
Hitokiri

Postby Pepper Kittie » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:19 pm

I'd also like to do some reviews, if I may ^__^ I've noticed that no one has done or claimed Pita Ten or Lagoon Engine. I'm pretty sure Lagoon Engine won't be continued... (Though I wish Sugisaki would write another! I hate how she ends mangas sometimes!) But I've read all of Pita Ten and the 3 volumes that are out of Lagoon Engine and I can borrow them all from a friend to write the reviews. May I?
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:21 am

I still would like to do a Negima review. It's up to book 8 in English and I have read the scanlations on it so I know what the content is like in the series.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline this until you finish the series in English. The reason is that we'd rather have a review totally based on the version people will buy years from now when there are no scans available anymore. We're trying to go for long-term completeness over short-term volume, if that makes sense.

I would also like to write a review for Kare Kano - even though I have not completed the series yet haha. If no one writes a review by the time I complete the series, I would not mind writing a review up. I am on book 7 now and I believe there are 20 so I am not even close - but by the end of Jan I should be up to 15.

I can put you down as the potential reviewer, and the official release only rule applies to everyone else, too, so there's no chance of me taking up someone else's review over your promised one at this point.

I'd also like to do some reviews, if I may ^__^ I've noticed that no one has done or claimed Pita Ten or Lagoon Engine. I'm pretty sure Lagoon Engine won't be continued... (Though I wish Sugisaki would write another! I hate how she ends mangas sometimes!) But I've read all of Pita Ten and the 3 volumes that are out of Lagoon Engine and I can borrow them all from a friend to write the reviews. May I?

Pita Ten is a definate go, but can you explain the status of Lagoon Engine for me? I don't know the details so I don't know how to judge its status.
Ashley

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:37 am

Ashley wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline this until you finish the series in English. The reason is that we'd rather have a review totally based on the version people will buy years from now when there are no scans available anymore. We're trying to go for long-term completeness over short-term volume, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I understand. I just wanted to throw that out there just in case ^_^

I can put you down as the potential reviewer, and the official release only rule applies to everyone else, too, so there's no chance of me taking up someone else's review over your promised one at this point.

Ok. If no one writes a review for Kare Kano by the time I finish it, I will be more then happy to write one.
Hitokiri

Postby Pepper Kittie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:53 pm

Yay! ^_^

Lagoon Engine is an interesting one... it only has three volumes out, and ends rather abruptly. Many people think that this is the last one and that the mangaka won't make any more. It's not unusal for Sugisaki to end mangas in the middle of a story though... she did the same for Candidate for Goddess, ending it without really resolving anything XD In the back of the last volume it usually has a summery of the next but it just has a question mark. But I haven't heard anything about another one being made, even in Japanese, so I think the series is finished. But I can wait on that if you'd like.
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Yeah, let's go ahead and wait til we hear anything definate from the Land of the Rising Sun (aka Japan). Thanks for the offer!
Ashley

Postby Kisa » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:18 am

Yea I am doing a Pilot Candidate review, but it has ended for years and so thats why I was doing it, unless Ash changes her mind.
Sugisaki definitley has a way of ending series like that. I hear she is sick alot so that may be the reason. I did hear that there is more to Pilot Candidate, but that was in 2002 or 03...
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:36 pm

I'd like to add another request for Berserk. It's extremely graphic, though due to its nature it probably will not end for many, many years, so I can't see anything that could possibly be done in the future that would alter a review.

If you'd like, I'll write one up.
Joshua Christopher

Postby faithfighter » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm

would it be ok if I reviewd Juvenile Orion?? I have read all the books...so...would it be alright? I've never done it before but I think I could do a good job
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:53 am

faithfighter wrote:would it be ok if I reviewd Juvenile Orion?? I have read all the books...so...would it be alright? I've never done it before but I think I could do a good job

Since I'm helping Ashley-chan with the manga review section of the site now, allow me to say that we'd be very happy to have a Juvenile Orion review. :thumb: Just remember to be detailed, thorough, and objective-- and have fun. Review away, my friend.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby faithfighter » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:42 pm

yay! thank you Osaka-san!!!! I will do my best!
I will do it soon, but I want to re-read it first, so it will be a while.
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Ren_sama » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:14 am

I would like to add a request for "Angel Sactuary" if you don't mind. ^o^;
Ren_sama

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:00 am

That may be longer in coming. Considering that it is on the Do Not Discuss list, if we follow the precedent set for anime, only a moderator can review it. I've read about 30% of the series, but there's no gaurantee I'll finish it any time soon. I suppose I could write a review if you want one, or just give you basic content details informally.
uc pseudonym

Postby faithfighter » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:07 pm

Q are you informed when your review is posted...or if it isn't going to be used?
faithfighter

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:14 am

If your review is posted, you'll see a thread for it appear in this forum. As far as I know members have never been informed if we decide not to use a review, but you can always ask about its status if you are curious.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:29 pm

i'd like some of the following mangas to be reviewed if possible:
hunter x hunter
vagabond
eyeshield 21
prince of tennis
whistle
saiyuki
getbackers
flame of recca
3x3 eyes
d. grayman
20th century boys
monster
slam dunk
mr. fullswing
rebound
air gear
yakitate japan
gantz
berserk
basilisk
blade of immortal
blame
bobobobobobo
zetman
jon_jinn

Postby Yumie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:41 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i'd like some of the following mangas to be reviewed if possible:
hunter x hunter
vagabond
eyeshield 21
prince of tennis
whistle
saiyuki
getbackers
flame of recca
3x3 eyes
d. grayman
20th century boys
monster
slam dunk
mr. fullswing
rebound
air gear
yakitate japan
gantz
berserk
basilisk
blade of immortal
blame
bobobobobobo
zetman

A couple of these have been submitted, so you might get some of your wishes granted. But, Prince of Tennis isn't finished, is it?
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby faithfighter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:26 pm

thanks UC.
in that case can I ask about Juvenile Orion? is it going to be used...
faithfighter

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:03 pm

It is still in the pending area and it doesn't look as though anyone has touched it (there are a few spelling errors and no HTML tags yet). However, I don't know what its status is, or if anyone has even looked at it yet. There is also the possibility that the series is not finished.

Yumie wrote:But, Prince of Tennis isn't finished, is it?

Quite a number of those titles aren't, actually. If you're actually concerned about the content of a specific ongoing series, just ask here (though please ask about fewer) and it is likely someone will be able to answer you.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Yumie wrote:A couple of these have been submitted, so you might get some of your wishes granted. But, Prince of Tennis isn't finished, is it?

Naruto and Bleach aren't finished either but you still posted reviews for those two mangas...
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:26 pm

The policies haven't always been exactly as they were. As of the time I wrote those reviews, we had made a tentative decision that some popular series would be noted in the database. Since then our policy has changed, though we saw no reason to remove those reviews. In any case, it is a slightly different matter because I can (and do) edit my reviews as content changes in the series, whereas normal members doing this would quickly become too much work.
uc pseudonym

Postby soul alive » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:01 pm

I would be willing to do reviews of "Girl got Game" and "Mouryou Kiden" both are complete and I have all volumes. I should be able to get them done in a couple of weeks, since spring break starts in a week.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Ashley » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:47 pm

Personally, I'd like to see a review of Loveless if anyone gets a chance...I'm skeptical as Tokyopop themselves said it had a "bit of shounen-ai", which makes me wonder if they mean a bit as in a bit that's obvious, or a bit as in a bit that's there if you want it to be.
Ashley

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:39 am

Ashley wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a review of Loveless if anyone gets a chance...I'm skeptical as Tokyopop themselves said it had a "bit of shounen-ai", which makes me wonder if they mean a bit as in a bit that's obvious, or a bit as in a bit that's there if you want it to be.

Oh I'm pretty sure it's REALLY shounen-ai... especially just the looks of even the anime DVD cover. I even asked my friend who's into that stuff if it was and she answered with a "definately".

I don't know about that Tokyopop... a "bit" maybe is what they say, knowing they already have a line of Y manga :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Ashley » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Blah, how disappointing. Thanks, Tenshi!
Ashley

Postby rocklobster » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:38 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Oh I'm pretty sure it's REALLY shounen-ai... especially just the looks of even the anime DVD cover. I even asked my friend who's into that stuff if it was and she answered with a "definately".

I don't know about that Tokyopop... a "bit" maybe is what they say, knowing they already have a line of Y manga :/

Yeah, but doesn't the "Y" mean "Young Readers"? not yaoi?
rocklobster

Postby faithfighter » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:50 pm

It is still in the pending area and it doesn't look as though anyone has touched it (there are a few spelling errors and no HTML tags yet). However, I don't know what its status is, or if anyone has even looked at it yet. There is also the possibility that the series is not finished.

well the serise is finished...all the books are out.

thank you for your help
faithfighter

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews