Help w/ evangelistic/apologetic online role-playing game

Talk about anything in here.

Help w/ evangelistic/apologetic online role-playing game

Postby Rashiir » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:22 pm

Hey, guys, I run another board that is open to Christians and non-Christians...mostly my local friends. I have been using as a way to explain what Christians believe and why we believe what we believe and to challenge others into thinking about what they they believe and why. It is going well...I can see the Lord shaping hearts and minds in many of the threads.

Many of the members have decided that they want to have a section that is devoted to an online RPG. I don't really know much about it, but I was hoping that it could be another opportunity to spread God's word, although I don't want to scare anyone away... Any suggestions, or ideas as to what we could do? Are any of you involved in these sorts of things that you could tell me what to watch out for and what I could do? Thanks.
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:37 pm

I myself have been involved in a few online rpgs---freelance style. CAA had one a while ago, but it got to be a big hassle to transfer over.
Free lance style is what I would recommend; basically everyone has a character, and you role play in a series of short posts; usually a paragraph or so. That eliminated the whole D&D-dice-roll feel too it, and it made others more comfortable about doing it. The downside is it can easily get centered on two or three characters if you don't watch it, and of course, it turns into 80+ pages fast. Also, depending on the setting, you may want to consider banning magic. Personally I did not want to have to deal with it at all, so we just set a no magic whatsoever limit; but if you decide your boards can handle it, go for it bro. Go with your personal convictions.
I know there are quite a few other RPG'ers on these boards, so that's just my two cents. Let me know if I can help you out in any way and I'll be glad to.
Ashley

Postby Straylight » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:24 pm

The success of an RPG really depends on two things

+ the story backgroaund as created by the GM
+ the players

A really good story combined with a persistant GM will make a cracking RPG -- I know of an RPG called "Fantasy World" on one of my UK friends' boards. This thing has been going on for 3 years (in various story arcs) because it had an extremely detailed, epic storyline, a good playerbase, and an extremely persistant GM who would not let the RPG die.

I say go for it, and if you want, go for the epic thing. Build a detailed website with history, character details etc. and turn it into something that will last. Those RPGs really are the best.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Rashiir » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:04 pm

Thanks. Any links or anything of where i could figure out how this thing works? I really don't know what I'm doing...
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:09 pm

For rpgs like I was talking abooooout...shameless plug here. Aaron I hope I get a promotion outta this...or at least a cookie.
Ashley

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:22 pm

Ah well, I do so love the rpgs, Ah little Aéshli. my half elven bardic companion....... no... sorry no promotions. but if you or anybody else wants to check out Arador the url is

http://groups.msn.com/Arador/_whatsnew.msnw

Really we do alot of story boards, right now im trying to think of ways to make more .... traditional paper style rpgs into it, but that may be a ways off. That and im thinking up stuff for the chat rooms. Really I dont like D&D but i do have a few GURPS books. they help. anyway guess im done here. sorry if the shameless self plug bothers you, just letten everybody know about it. :D

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Rashiir » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:29 pm

What do you guys think about faith-based magic? Cause you know, with faith as small as a mustard seed, you could tell a mountain to go throw itself in the sea and it would...
Rashiir

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:32 pm

completely dissagree with it, just like that. Faith isn't magic, Magic is basicly physical manafestation of demonic power. God dosn't hand out magic, nor does he condone it ( hence he said all sorcerers would be in the lake of fire) Faith isn't a super power to be handed out and leveled up. Your only getting those things if their acording to Gods will. anyway. ( not trying to pick a fight or bash you man) thast just my opinion on the subject.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Rashiir » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:40 pm

No, dude, you're right...I'm just throwing out conflicts to try and stop them before they start...although I doubt they'll let me ban magic...it isn't really a christian site...we're just using it to influence people a bit...
Rashiir

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:53 am

If magic is going to exist, that's fine. Just keep a handle on it and prevent it from becoming occult. Depending on how the GM works, this can either never be an issue, or turn into a problem. And good job for trying something like this.

This isn't so much an rpg hint, nor is it original, but: pray.
uc pseudonym

Postby Rashiir » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:44 am

Good call. Thanks, mano.
Rashiir

Postby Straylight » Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:30 am

Magic's cool so long as it's either explained scientifically or based in a PURE fantasy setting, imo.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:52 pm

djnoz has hit on a major issue of mine. I think there's nothing wrong with magic as long as the setting is, as he said, pure fantasy. Getting faith involved turns that issue a bit tricky. But you don't have to get faith involved with the plot to witness to people in other ways.
uc pseudonym

Postby Rashiir » Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:45 pm

Any more ideas for witnessing?
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:14 pm

I would try to stay away from the stereotypical "Messianic" figure; i.e. one who gives his life. It's been done a lot. What about something more like, a priest that cannot follow all of the law on his own, or a prophet no one heeds. More subtle things like that I think could minister as well, without beating your members over the head with a Bible, ya know?
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:51 pm

Oh yeah, that whole allegorical thing has way been done...but tell me more about the other two ideas...by the way, we're pretty sure we're going to need a GM now and I don't think I'm experienced enough to do it. Is there anyone who would be willing to be our GM?
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:09 pm

Personally I don't have a lot of experience as a GM, but I'm sure you'll be able to recruit someone around here. Lots of RP'ers.

Anyway, about the ideas...those were just two I thought of off the top of my head. The priest was taken from the idea of the Law of Moses being too much for the Pharisees and such of the old testament; it was to prove that man alone is sinful by nature, and thus cannot honestly fulfill every single one. Perhaps a character in your RP could follow a very strict, but complex and demanding 'god' and face the same issues. Whether you have him "rescued" to the true God or not is dependent upon how Salvational you want this thing to be.
The prophet without an audience was taken from the passage in the Gospels reading "a prophet is without honor in his hometown." Basically, no one believed Christ was the messiah until after he had risen from the dead (there are a few exceptions, granted, but I'm speaking generally here); similarily, in today's society people shrug off Christians as 'religious' for the most part and try not to get too caught up with them. No one heeds the warnings by us 'prophets' telling them they will die if they don't turn. I was thinking a Cassandra type figure, or even John the Baptist gone fantasy, something like that. The bible is riddled with other examples you could throw in there for good measure; the story of Ruth, for example. These stories illustrate a Christian theme without being...well, blatant about it.
Ashley

Postby Rashiir » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:51 am

Who's cassandra?
Rashiir

Postby Ashley » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:43 am

*pulls open big book of Greco-Roman mythology* ahem, Cassandra was a princess of Troy who had a blessing/curse. Apollo had---remember this is mythology---given her the ability to see into the future, but she was proud and didn't let him...have his way with her, we'll put it that way. So he cursed her and somehow made it so that no one would ever believe her prophecies, which were mostly doom and gloom anyway. So, fast-forward a few years and wham! The Trojan War is at it's peak. Cassandra knows the Greeks will eventually win and slaughter most of Troy, so she pleads with her father King Priam NOT to accept the Trojan horse. They brush her off as crazy and a woman (hey now!) and they do it anyway. Thus, they all get smoked by the Greeks...end of story.
Ashley

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:37 pm

Ah yes, the big book of Greco-Roman mythology.

I'd like to help, but I don't think it'd work out. But whoever you get to GM for you, speak to them about where you want to go with this first. We have some good ideas, but mixed plans can cause problems.
uc pseudonym

Return to General