Review Requests//Database updates

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Review Requests//Database updates

Postby Ashley » Sat May 28, 2005 10:10 pm

Last updated: 12.31.08 - Victorian Romance Emma added (17 pending)

Only completed reviews will be accepted. If the series is licensed, the review must be based on the official licensed material. Only when a series is unlicensed may it be based on scanlations

By the way, the list was extremely outdated so it has been axed. If you are curious as to if anyone else has written a review still in the pending area, please PM me!
Ashley

Postby Ashley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Notice: We are no longer accepting incomplete or continual reviews. Complete series only!
Ashley

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:27 am

I'll be working on a Hikaru no Go review sooner or later (Yes, I have it all and I am reading it)... Heym Ash what happened to the RK review? Just busy I presume?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:31 am

I'll be working on a "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" review since I've read all seven volumes. I have some harsh criticism for it.
bigsleepj

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:42 am

I'll be working on a Hikaru no Go review sooner or later (Yes, I have it all and I am reading it)...

Sounds great!

Heym Ash what happened to the RK review? Just busy I presume?

I still have it. I'm just still researching it to make sure I have a good grasp on what has been written as well. Ditto for Brigadoon, rockolobster.
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:31 pm

Ashley wrote:Notice: We are no longer accepting incomplete or continual reviews. Complete series only!

Oh, darn. I'm half done with a review of the first 9 volumes of Fruits Basket. So, you don't want it now?

(If you should want it, this is a formal declaration of a review in progress.)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:14 pm

For now, I would say no and continue to post your own synopsis of it when others ask. Just to be fair. Sorry, Osaka-chan.
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:27 pm

Ashley wrote:For now, I would say no and continue to post your own synopsis of it when others ask. Just to be fair. Sorry, Osaka-chan.

Aw. *double snaps* Oh well, I guess this shall be a lesson to all good boys and girls. The early bird gets to have his partial review put up on CAA.

Thanks anyways, Ash.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:23 am

I know I've plastered it everywhere, but I have one more change in the rules to make.

Gypsy and I were talking, and I decided to throw out all the "exceptions" I had made for our database. It was just too confusing and hard to keep up with, and plus Gypsy spent a lot of time getting all these guidelines in place ^^;;

SO, from now on we will do things exactly as Gypsy does. Which means the only time you can base a review on scanlations is when the series is unlicensed. If a series is licensed, you have to base it on the official material--which means even if you've read the first 9 volumes of Fruits Basket and the rest in scanlation, I'd still have to wait for the official material to finish being released. Does that make sense? Any questions?

I know this will severely limit our review intake, however quality is way better than quantity. And people will be reading the official versions anyway.

Also, in the way of incomplete reviews, Mave has informed me that there is also Manga Necessity available for submissions.
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:26 am

How about series going on hiatus? When Excel Saga gets to volume 13 next month it will have caught up with the JP version and volumes are expected to come out every six months at best after that.

Should I bother with doing a review?
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:28 am

I'm not sure. I'd love to tell you yes, but I have no idea how we could provide for continual updates AND not make me out into a hypocritical liar :sweat:
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:35 am

Ashley wrote:I'm not sure. I'd love to tell you yes, but I have no idea how we could provide for continual updates AND not make me out into a hypocritical liar :sweat:

I understand. I'll hold off until I find out Viz' intentions next month and let you know then what's going on.

Hmm... a thought just struck me. Could reviews of ongoing series be done in blocks? Say X volumes covered at a time, like 1-10, 11-20 etc. Perhaps in that case a seperate review could be done for each block of 10 (or whatever amount was seen as workable) volumes. Or is that just the same problem for you?
Arnobius

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:14 pm

Ashley wrote:I know I've plastered it everywhere, but I have one more change in the rules to make.

Gypsy and I were talking, and I decided to throw out all the "exceptions" I had made for our database. It was just too confusing and hard to keep up with, and plus Gypsy spent a lot of time getting all these guidelines in place ^^]Manga Necessity[/url] available for submissions.

Well this sucks at least for me. Kiss that Hikaru no Go review goodbye. :sniffle:
Shao Feng-Li

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:44 pm

Ashley wrote:I know I've plastered it everywhere, but I have one more change in the rules to make.

Gypsy and I were talking, and I decided to throw out all the "exceptions" I had made for our database. It was just too confusing and hard to keep up with, and plus Gypsy spent a lot of time getting all these guidelines in place ^^]Manga Necessity[/url] available for submissions.

I understand your reasoning.

But see, the thing is, the popular series tend to be rather long and off the top of my head I can't recall very many longer series that have been released in entirety in both Japan and the U.S.

There are very long series like Detective Conan and One Piece that have gone on for years and neither of which appear to be ending anytime soon. Under those rules, CAA probably won't get a review for those series until 2017.

Maybe AnimeHeretic's idea has some merit...I don't know.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby faithfighter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:17 pm

Is Natru any good?
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:04 am

Well, my one concern with doing it by "blocks" is it would fill up our database incredibly quickly. Perhaps it could be considered for titles like Fruits Basket or One Piece that are still ongoing...but I don't know.

Honestly, we're not exactly trying to go for popularity with these reviews. Anyone could stumble into the manga forum, start a thread, and find all kinds of opinions with series that is running. Or they would just buy it on their own anyway. The database is more for somber, serious, indepth surveys of titles like parents (or we older siblings) will want to know about. They don't want to be suprised by a breast shot in volume 7, or a gorey death that shocked everyone in volume 9. The point is that most of these readers are reviewing for a younger charge, and for that matter we need to try to get them the best information we can. It may take a while, but I would rather see us have a complete, in depth library of few titles, than a widespreading one with little complete info.
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:08 am

OK. It was just a suggestion. Obviously you need to do it according to your vision for CAA.
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:10 am

Yeah, the block thing would be cool, but I understand the reasons why we might avoid doing that. Despite how happy being able to finish a review for the first ten volumes of Fruits Basket (when the tenth volume is realeased next month) would make me, I am happy to follow what ever rules the Moderators decide are best for the board.

Thanks Ash and Gypsy for your work!

(BTW, I figure reviews for the manga version of Evangelion are like the review for the anime series-- mods only, correct?)

Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:20 am

Actually I don't know of any mods that have read it...so I might be willing to see a review of it and let the staff read it before we stamp it officially.
Ashley

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Ash, I wrote a Eva manga review for Manga Neccessity and if you want, I could write up a CAA review of Eva.

I'm also up for writing a Love Hina review if Anime Heretic or any others don't want to do it.
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:53 pm

Hitokiri wrote:Ash, I wrote a Eva manga review for Manga Neccessity and if you want, I could write up a CAA review of Eva.

I'm also up for writing a Love Hina review if Anime Heretic or any others don't want to do it.

I won't have the time to do LH right now, so feel free.
Arnobius

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:28 pm

But Eva isn't a complete manga series either, on either side of the ocean.

It is still going on in Shonen Ace, at least it is to the best of my knowledge.
Or has it been finished since I checked last.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:54 am

MasterDias wrote:But Eva isn't a complete manga series either, on either side of the ocean.

It is still going on in Shonen Ace, at least it is to the best of my knowledge.
Or has it been finished since I checked last.

Yeah, the entire series as yet to be released. As for in Japan, I cannot find any info on it whatsoever.

AnimeHeretic wrote:I won't have the time to do LH right now, so feel free.

Ok, then I'll write one up.
Hitokiri

Postby Kisa » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:59 am

I'd love to write a review, does Tokyo Mew Mew count as complete? Even though a la mode is now out and kinda a part of it? I think as far as popularity goes it is pretty popular and it will get more fans for a la mode! ^^
I'd like to do TMM! ^^
Also, someone should do a review on Ceres cause it has alot of questionable material in it and I know some people like myself grabbed the first few volumes before we realized how bad it was.....
so Ash can I do Tokyo Mew Mew? Or is someone already?
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:30 pm

I'd like to write a review on Pet Shop of Horrors.
Maledicte

Postby Kireihana » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:50 pm

Ashley wrote:Also, in the way of incomplete reviews, Mave has informed me that there is also Manga Necessity available for submissions.

Just so everybody knows, Manga Necessity is now a Christian-based review system and quite open for submissions!

Ashley, if you want to use any of MN's reviews for the CAA database feel free (so long as the ones who wrote the reviews consent, which I'm sure they will
;) ) I've already submitted some of my complete ones.
Kireihana

Postby Kisa » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:55 am

ok just to let you know I will be working on a Tokyo Mew Mew and Merupuri reviews which will be around soon ^^ Prob another week or 2.....
woot ^^''
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:11 pm

I'd like to make a review request...Has anyone read the manga series, Planet Ladder? The story sounds really good, and I like the art, but I have no clue what the content is like, other than the "T" rating on TokyoPop's website. So, to anyone who's read it and has the time to write a review, could you please? Thanks! ^_^
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:41 am

There. My Nausicaa review has been submitted at 1461 words. Hope its not too long.
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:08 pm

I certainly hope that isn't too long, as my reviews are typically in that neighborhood. But I doubt that it is; that is not excessive, merely thorough.
uc pseudonym

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews