Quenched Curiosity

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:32 pm

Why does Hawaii have interstate highways?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:45 pm

why do we call machines that heat water,a hot water heater? if its hot , why are we heating it? and also Why is it fun to spin around really really fast, until you look up to see the world spinning, then you feel sick? your spinning just as much before you look.............

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:56 pm

When you send a shipment of packing peanuts, what do you pack them in?

Why do they sterilize lethal injection needles (and they do)?

Questions that don't deserve answers.

In regard to popcorn, I'll tell you what I know off the top of my head. The hard outer shell of popcorn somewhat protects it when it's in a natural environment. On the inside, however, is what is the actual seed. Because they are made out of different material, it takes less energy to heat them up. When placed under heat, the inside expands rapidly (making the pop). The shell doesn't really expand much under normal heat. One the popcorn has popped into a fluffy object, however, the air inside it prevents it from heating up much more. When it hardens (in a matter of nanoseconds) it stays in a fluffy form.

Wow... that was a long time for such useless information...
uc pseudonym

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:40 pm

Oh ... cool.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:36 pm

ohohoh my favourite thread where i can answer.

i'll start from the bottom.

why do we call machines that heat water,a hot water heater? if its hot , why are we heating it?

'hot water heater' is all the water heater makers' fault. they named it like that.

Why is it fun to spin around really really fast, until you look up to see the world spinning, then you feel sick? your spinning just as much before you look.............

inside your ears is this balancing fluid. it controls your balancing.

that's why if you close your eyes while standing, you usually fall sometime later. one trick those people who claim they can push people, use.

if you spin, since this fluid is a liquid, it spins with you. if you stop, it'll make you dizzy since you see with your eyes you are standing, but the ears tell you you are spinning. thus that dizziness with weird vision. the sick thing is because your brain is confused. it doesn't hurt you. just makes you feel you're hurt or sick.

Why does Hawaii have interstate highways?

same as why there are bridges between people. it's so people can go faster. kind of like a backbone, where the highway tries to take all the traffic away.

Rain makes people stupid...trust me. Every time it rains....the people that come into work are dumb as bricks....there is something to it

nah, it's just an assumption. they are probably annoyed by the rain 'static' or something.

no scientific evidence in this thing.

ever tried chewing a mint and then having a glass of orange juice?

better than eating McDonalds' fries, then eating any other fries out there e.g. Burger Kings and KFC.

Anyone know why things look more colorful underwater?

because you see the cool blue tintish colour change, and on shallow waters (corals and such) the water reflects off the sea bed, thus making the fish and other organisms brighter and more colourful. cool huh?

it doesn't work for normal water though.

maybe if i get more time i'll answer more... i used to have a series of books about these...
LorentzForce

Postby andyroo » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:50 pm

Well, I think that most of my curiosity has been quenched, Lorentz... for now. :evil:
You don't like Burger King? Or was that just an example?
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby LorentzForce » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:57 pm

i LOVE burger king :D

the thing is, if you eat the McDonalds fries before eat the BK ones, the BK ones taste horrible. kind of like soap.

same the other way around.

keep throwing questions. i'll try to answer them. if i can that is.
LorentzForce

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:15 am

Heh... you want a question? Why to Burger King fries taste bad after McD ones and vice versa?

And also, how did you ever find that out?
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:55 am

Lorentz...I'm gonna have you work my shift on a rainy day...first time a customer walks up and can't find there own butt with both hands....you will scream.:dizzy:
Stephen

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:33 am

I know that they both use difference shortning..

BK adds something like crisco to make the fries more crispy then mcD's, but I suppose the taste difference would be like brushing your teeth with two different brands of paste... same result.. different taste.
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:59 am

i know, since my friends all have different taste buds. before watching a movie, we always get together and eat burgers. one eats McD, one eats KFC, few eats BK and sometimes others eat those Red Rooster ones.

i have to say the Red Rooster ones with gravy tastes the best.

anyway, because of that, it's often that people share the chips, just for the heck of it. but mixing them is so tasteless.

yeah, kind of like brushing your teeth with different toothpaste, just that one's the usual flourine, one's chlorine, and other one some other weird strawberry children one. you get the point.
LorentzForce

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:30 am

Speaking of toothpaste, why does Children's toothpaste taste so NASTY? I mean, do they really wonder why kids hate to brush their teeth after about 8 years of tasting that stuff? Besides, what's kids' paste have that adult paste doesn't (or vice versa)?

(personally I hated the fruity ones or the bubblegum...blech.)
Ashley

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:50 am

More than just bouncing. The ability to resolve an object in a given frequency band depends on the objects size relative to to the wavelength you're using. Objects would grow progressively fuzzier at longer wavelengths, until becoming an unresolved mess.

edit: Did someone nuke the question this was addressed to, or did I post in the wrong thread?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby LorentzForce » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:03 am

Speaking of toothpaste, why does Children's toothpaste taste so NASTY? I mean, do they really wonder why kids hate to brush their teeth after about 8 years of tasting that stuff? Besides, what's kids' paste have that adult paste doesn't (or vice versa)?

one day, i actually learnt that eating spoonfuls of Nesquik(sp?) didn't taste as good as when i was a kid. my dreams of eating cholocate every single day when i grew up just vaporised.

parents don't usually allow kids to eat too much sweet. no parents do. that's probably why kids favour those ones which taste better than just peppermint.

and actually, kids' paste don't have anything more than what ordinary pastes have.

i still prefer chloride toothpastes, made from bamboo salt. they taste nice, yet very effective in cleaning, while being 100% natural :)

as for peoples' perceptions of their surroundings...

imagine you are born on a space ship, where there is no gravity, the walls are coloured white, food comes out of a tube in the centre, etc etc. you'll percieve it as 'natural'. if you were living in that condition, you'll say that sucking on a tube to eat is natural, that the world is white, and wouldn't have a single idea about gravity.

same on earth. everyone has different perspectives. who knows if i look like something else in someone else's eyes. who knows.

it's all a matter of perception.

but it's usually perceived that people have same vision, same colour coordination, etc etc. it is genetic anyway.

maybe that's why when you pray to God really really hard, the prayer comes true... even if everyone else is denying the prayer...
LorentzForce

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:15 am

Not to blatently disagree with LorentzForce...

I think toothpaste designers are stuck in the mode of "fruit = good." None of them ever taste their own toothpaste, so they just keep putting in extra flavoring. And you're right, it does taste nasty. Speaking of which, why do they never have normal flavors? It seems I was always offered something like pineapple kiwi or some other bizarre combination.
uc pseudonym

Postby andyroo » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:48 am

Hey! You forgot bubblegum flavor! Can't forget that. Not that tastes any better than the fruity flavours.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

ummm

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:57 am

No bro.. she got it covered.... but in either case it is really interesting to think that what tastes, smells, looks, or sounds good to one person ... is totally different to another... after taking college Psychology I think a lot about that kind of stuff. Even though I made fun of the theories the whole time and used to bring biblical thoughts into the process which made the prof mad.

Originally posted by Ashley
(personally I hated the fruity ones or the bubblegum...blech.)
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby LorentzForce » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:41 am

if you can't stand toothpastes, just brush the teeth without toothpaste and use salt water to gurgle. does the same thing; except it tastes better than flouride, and is more effective. and it won't leave your mouth all too artifically freshened up, but naturally :)
LorentzForce

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:48 am

salt-water? Gag. That's the school's remedy for a sore throat...you soon learn to tolerate a raw throat, I tell you what. Personally, I'll use a toothpaste I like--those minty ones are nice--and some listerine. Which, speaking of, I wonder what it is in Listerine that gives it that....atomic peppermint flavor. Packs a wallop. Or how do those little listerine pads you stick on the roof of your mouth work? Why can you feel them in your sinuses? Is it just me or do you start breathing out that cool, minty feeling?
As you can tell, the Ashley is fascinated with Listerine. ;)
Ashley

Postby LorentzForce » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:56 am

Listerine is just a chemical that

1. uses 50% of its contents in order to achieve its colour
2. uses 25% of its contents in order to smell nice
3. uses 24.99% of its contents in order to taste like that
4. uses less than 1% of contents to make teeth smoother using fluoride
5. just so happens it's just so toxic it kills all the germs as well as your mouth lining skin cells.

that's why it hurts and your skin peels off if you leave the listerine for more than 2 minutes in your mouth. not many do, but it still means it's bad for you.

but since if you use it for a short period of time, it kills all those germs in your mouth. it does, in a way, work.
LorentzForce

Postby inkhana » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:56 am

Ooooh, I love those little strips. The cinnamon ones are good too, but I like the mint the best. The mintiness passes right through the roof of your mouth into your brain! LOL Refreshing-ey!:thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Saint » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:46 am

whoa..
makes ya think, eh?
as for kids toothpaste, it leaves out something, maybe fluoride? anyway, it is "to promote good brushing habits at an early age" since you are not to swallow toothpaste cause it can be harmful they have the safe stuff for kids.... who prolly will take it down like a snack. hehe. you crazy kids.
and how does popcorn work??? i wish i could get it to work for me, i would never need a job agian.
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Ouch!

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:52 am

I have a good one for you.... my kids watch a lot of Liberty Kids...

guess how they used to brush their teeth in the old days....

CLICK LINK: :eyebrow:

http://pbskids.org/libertyskids/nowthen/lk_nt103.html
WhiteÃ…ngel

Postby Saint » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:57 am

hahaha,
now thats tartar control. :lol:
We are saved by grace thru faith, not of works... "keep on fighting for grace"
Saint

Postby Lightbringer » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:08 pm

AAAAAAAGH! that hurt my teeth just watching it.......

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:29 pm

Wow, I'm still wincing from seeing that ... how horrible.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:15 pm

On the side....I actually really like that show. I came across it one day trying to find something for my cousins to watch when they were living with us...I was like, hey, that's Alexander Hamilton! And Marquis Layfette! Heeeyyyy....then I plopped down and watched it. Very great show, especially for those of us that are historically inclined....nevermind it's a kid show....
Um....right...moving on.
Ashley

Previous

Return to General