to bow or not to bow

Talk about anything in here.

to bow or not to bow

Postby lain » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:46 am

Hi everyone, Does anyones martial arts style require them to bow to a higher rank when they enter the dojo? As a Christian how do you feel about this?
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
lain

Postby Jimmothy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:34 am

IMO I think that it is fine to bow out of respect. If you make them your idol than it would be wrong. This is off the subject but i have been hearing people talk about some kind of war in one of the threads did i miss something?:dizzy:
"Go with God's protection.....and hey, thanks for the apple"
Wolfwood
AIM: papervase
Jimmothy

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:43 am

First off, I moved this thread. It kinda fits better in the General area. Second, I also bow to my instructors and fellow students during class. My instructor makes it clear that it is a sign of proper respect, and it's not any kind of worship. It's a way of acknowledging either a higher rank or a sparring partner.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:52 am

Yes, in the necessary situations, I bow.

One minor but somewhat important point to make is what we mean by the word "bow." An acceptable bow for most martial arts is at the waist. When it refers to bowing in the Bible, most of the time we're thinking of someone lying prostrate on the ground. If a martial art asked me to do that, that would be going to far, in my opinion.
uc pseudonym

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:10 pm

I'm fine with bowing as a form of respect. But if it's to "worship" then heck no. Even in the dojo we bow to the center and then sensei. Most of the time we're almost prostrated since we're bowing while in a seiza.

I'd like to think in term of our state of mind when the Bible says to "bow". If we're not worshipping or "acknowledging greatness" then I wouldn't mind.

Unless someone tells me to bow to a statue of a god or something. *I* might not be worshipping the darn thing in mind and heart but the act just sickens me enough to refuse to do it in body too. :lol:
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Stephen » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:30 pm

I think its fine as long as its a respect thing...from what I have seen it is only a way to show respect to your fellow people in the group, or the teacher. I see no issue with it.
Stephen

Postby minjigga » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:58 am

yah. i agree with everyone here. bowing out of respect is fine. its respect and they deserve it.
but bowing to idolize is bad and bowing to objects is also bad. thats the way i see it.
payce:God bless:minjigs
minjigga

Postby Shinja » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:58 am

yeah i dont mind bowing out of respect, thats kinda like a hand shake. but when i took karate we were told to bow for certian things that i didnot feel were right even if it was just respect. so i didnt. though it took me a while to make that desision i feel i made the right choice in the end.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby WhiteÃ…ngel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:27 am

I'm glad Shatterheart directed me to this thread .. I was wondering about this... I feel it's ok, but wanted a second opinion.
I'm glad we are on the same mindset. respect where respect, worship where worship...

thanks...
WhiteÃ…ngel

Return to General