New sig rules - and how to turn sigs off

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

New sig rules - and how to turn sigs off

Postby Straylight » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:30 am

I've had a chat with Ashley about sigs, and we've decided that you can have them as long as you like (within reason). There is still one rule though, the sig shouldn't be wider than 470 pixels. This is to prevent 800x600 users from having to scroll sideways.

If you are on a slower connection you might find it useful to know that you can turn off sigs. This is done by going into you user control panel, clicking the Options tab, and under the "Thread view options" header unchecking the "Signatures" checkbox.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:50 am

Is there an option for simply supressing the graphics in threads? I like to see the taglines (and being able to click on someone's URL. I just don't like scrolling down two screens to pass someone's graphic.
Mithrandir

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:37 am

Just out of random curiosity: Is there a limit on how megs it can be? So, like we won't kill the server.
Link Antilles

Postby Ashley » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:43 am

Well the sigs aren't choking *our* server...they're only direct links to other servers.
Ashley

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:59 pm

Yeah. By the way, if the server hosting the sig goes off-line, it may cause time-outs that appear to be the fault of the CAA server.
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:43 pm

... which is a problem I've noticed from time to time ...
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Straylight » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:55 pm

... however this does not affect the bandwidth quota or slow the server down. Not much I can do about that anyway :)

Disabling images is a good idea but a pain to implement. I'm not doing any hacking until the final release of vb3 comes out (ie the "stable" release)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:23 pm

Oxymoron: Final Release.

:lol:
Mithrandir

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:58 pm

What about the height of the image in the sig. Some are really tall, and it takes a lot of scrolling down.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:23 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:Is there an option for simply supressing the graphics in threads? I like to see the taglines (and being able to click on someone's URL. I just don't like scrolling down two screens to pass someone's graphic.

It's easy enough to do in Internet Explorer; just go to the Advanced tab in the Properties dialog to disable the Multimedia items "Show pictures", "Show image download placeholders", and "Play animations in web pages". Then, if you want to see an individual picture/animation, just right-click it and choose "Show picture".

I don't know how this works with other browsers, though.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby JediSonic » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:40 am

<fantasizing>
Hmm, I wonder if you could make it so that only large images can be blocked...
</fantasizing>

This morning when I went to the forum, the page was WAAYY too wide, but then I reloaded and it worked fine! Weird..
JediSonic

Postby shooraijin » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:35 am

It works fine in Mozilla-based browsers, it's just tedious to keep switching the settings back and forth for CAA and everywhere else. :P
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:43 am

TheMelodyMaker wrote:...go to the Advanced tab in the Properties dialog to disable the Multimedia items "Show pictures", "Show image download placeholders", and "Play animations in web pages".

Um, unless you have all the images you want displayed cached, I'm not sure this is something I would want to do. That will disable displaying all the graphical buttons, too. Not to mention avitars, which I find much easier to catch at a glance than a name...
Mithrandir

Postby Kisa » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:50 pm

Ummm, why does my sig show sometimes and other times it doesnt?
*sniff* my poor sig . . .
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby inkhana » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:00 pm

One of the new mods SL installed only allows your sig to show once per thread. This makes it easier for the page to load, I assume...:)

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby inkjet1987 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:07 pm

[inkhana] One of the new mods SL installed only allows your sig to show once per thread. This makes it easier for the page to load, I assume... [/inkhana]

That's a good idea, but it should be on the last post not the first! Or at least that's my opinion.
inkjet1987

Postby Kisa » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:32 pm

Yea I agree inkjet! Its good that it will load faster, but it should be shown on the latest post you made. ^_^
Kisa

Postby Kisa » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:09 pm

Arrrg! Now it is not showing half my sig! *sniff* This stinks . . . Someone help!

edit: NVM, figured it out, lol, sorry for the trouble! :sweat:
Kisa

Postby _Sin_ » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:15 pm

inkhana wrote:One of the new mods SL installed only allows your sig to show once per thread. This makes it easier for the page to load, I assume...:)

I'm pretty sure that this is not the case here. The moment you view a sig you have it in your cache, thus every time the sig get's displayed you get it from the cache and not from the site, thus the bandwith is 0 for every other sig display after first.

I got another suggestion for signature rules:

Introduce a maximum file size. Another Forum I post on has limited the image size to 50KB of the signature (all images combined).
Introduce a maximum width x height rule, i.e. 500x200 and unlimited signature uses per thread.

And since you will gain a speed up with these rules, how about increasing the avatar size to 100x100 with a maximum size of 50KB?

EDIT: People who use the FireFox Browser can adblock specific images if they want (I started to do that since it's annoying to see a one-liner post with 6 signature images below it >_<) if they have the valuable Adblock Plugin installed (Download) by right clicking and selecting Adblock Image.
_Sin_

Return to Announcements and Feedback