I am working on a game right now as we speak

Projects or project ideas in the works

I am working on a game right now as we speak

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:57 pm

It will be my first real game in that everything else I've created is more like flappy bird or temple run in that you just try to avoid an adversary(weather gorillas or pipes) until they get you and then you can play again or quit. This game is an fps that will have cutscenes, missons, a save/load feature, and possibly a cutscene viewer(still debating). It also comes complete with good sound effects, laser bullets, horrible voice acting the whole nine yards of a sci-fi style fps. hopefully I will have it mostly if not completely done by this time next year. challenge starts yesterday. In the famous words of KB "Ima Just Do It" . I will reveal more about the story as I gain more clarity on how I want the story to play out right now I know how I want it to end and begin I just need to figure out the middle.
Never thirsty!

Re: I am working on a game right now as we speak

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:23 pm

Uh huh, whatever you say. You can't even show that you know how to program, model, write, animate, or do sound editing (or music creation), much less develop a game, MUCH less do something as you described, on your own, in a year.

Question, not that I expect you to ever give an answer, but is there a point in all these threads? Nobody believes you except the very new people who aren't yet familiar with your particular history.
Ante Bellum

Postby shooraijin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:53 pm

Ante, while I'm not going to substantially disagree with you, stirring the pot isn't necessary either.

Never thirsty!, please consider making these kinds of announcements when you're further along.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Never thirsty! » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:31 am

shooraijin wrote:Ante, while I'm not going to substantially disagree with you, stirring the pot isn't necessary either.

Never thirsty!, please consider making these kinds of announcements when you're further along.

Alright that's fine and I actually Ante Bellum I have a couple of games done one of which is set to drop in October for my friend's birthday and the other will be dropping after a couple weeks of promotion. So thank you drops the mic walks out
Never thirsty!

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 am

All we have is your word, which is sketchy at best. Give some concrete proof to back up these endless announcements.
K. Ayato

Postby LecktheTech » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:33 am

Maybe a link to page? Is that really too much to ask?
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Postby Never thirsty! » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:44 pm

LecktheTech wrote:Maybe a link to page? Is that really too much to ask?

No, not at all in fact I will give you a link to my website and a link to the game that was supposed to drop in October I decided to release it today just because. Just a heads up I changed the name from Cruickshank games to Crusader76Games so that I will hopefully come up and not be overshadowed by Daron Cruickshank who is a former UFC fighter. The game cost a quarter just so you know.

Game download page: https://crusader76games.itch.io/dodge currently only available for windows
My startup website: http://thehunter247365.wixsite.com/crusader76games it's not much but it's better than nothing. So yeah that's about it.
Never thirsty!

Postby LecktheTech » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Hmmm...
What software are you using to develop these games?

LecktheTech

Postby LecktheTech » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:43 pm

I mean, 86MB for a game that could be done for a lot less? You must be using something....

LecktheTech

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:48 am

LTT I use Unity3d to make my games and 86mb includes all of the necessary program files needed as well as the credits text file. Yeah I gave you something to back it up like you asked a finished product complete with link and everything and I know it's not much but I am only one person and it is something at least it's more than a lot of people can say they've done.
Never thirsty!

Postby LecktheTech » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:20 pm

Well, I hope you turn out some stuff...in time...

LecktheTech

Postby Never thirsty! » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:18 pm

LecktheTech wrote:Well, I hope you turn out some stuff...in time...

1. Have you tried my game even?
2. Was that encouragement or an under the radar dIs.
Never thirsty!

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:47 pm

To put it simply, your game is not a finished product. I wouldn't even really call it a game. At most, it's a test for a very, very simple AI, one which doesn't require pathfinding or reacting to anything other than the player character. You have no real graphics, you even spelled it "doodge" on the menu. Yet you expect people to pay for this. It would be almost insulting if I didn't find the situation funny. Look at a game like Cave Story, made entirely by one man over several years, which is not just competent but GOOD...and also free (yes, the upgraded and console versions cost money, but the original is free).
And no, I can't say it's "better than nothing" when there's no real effort shown. You can't just throw a few things together in Unity and call it done, there's no instant gratification in making games (or art/programming/anything worth doing in general). You need to put time into it, both the time to learn the craft and the time to create. It's going to take much, much more than what you have here before you should even consider it a complete, polished project that people will pay for.

But don't take my word for it, try posting it to a game development forum. If you think I'm being harsh because I'm inherently biased, then find people who have never heard of you before and get their take on it.
Ante Bellum

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:33 am

I've played a lot of free/experimental games in my time, and from what I see of your game as it stands now, it looks like something that would get punted off of Newgrounds in about a day or two. The concept may have something to it, but right now it's way too plain, both in terms of gameplay (one object chasing another with no other obstacles) and in visual style (two cubes on a flat plane). Compare that to something like Super Hexagon, which has similar gameplay, but with a psychedelic, retro style, a lot more challenges, and the fact that I can play it on my phone, has a lot more to it for not a whole lot more money. It also reminds me a little of Robotron 2084, but given a choice, I'd much rather spend a quarter on that than what you have now...

It needs a lot of work, some sort of hook or extra visuals, more objects to avoid, walls, different enemy behaviors, things like that. What if you had to reach, or stay on, a certain point to get to a higher level/increase the challenge/raise a score? Do you want a game you can beat, or an endless game where you play for time/points?

Also, if you're planning on making a business out of this, you would do well to set up a limited liability corporation (LLC) through which your profits would flow through to you. This would be done in order to protect yourself in case someone makes a claim against you - they would not be able to go after you, just the corporation you've formed on your behalf. I believe it would also reduce the rate at which you would pay taxes on this income, but do your research on that one, as well as of the concept in general.
Davidizer13

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:55 am

Ante Bellum wrote:To put it simply, your game is not a finished product. I wouldn't even really call it a game. At most, it's a test for a very, very simple AI, one which doesn't require pathfinding or reacting to anything other than the player character. You have no real graphics, you even spelled it "doodge" on the menu. Yet you expect people to pay for this. It would be almost insulting if I didn't find the situation funny. Look at a game like Cave Story, made entirely by one man over several years, which is not just competent but GOOD...and also free (yes, the upgraded and console versions cost money, but the original is free).
And no, I can't say it's "better than nothing" when there's no real effort shown. You can't just throw a few things together in Unity and call it done, there's no instant gratification in making games (or art/programming/anything worth doing in general). You need to put time into it, both the time to learn the craft and the time to create. It's going to take much, much more than what you have here before you should even consider it a complete, polished project that people will pay for.

But don't take my word for it, try posting it to a game development forum. If you think I'm being harsh because I'm inherently biased, then find people who have never heard of you before and get their take on it.

Ok who are you to say what qualifies as a game like I said I'm not trying to make anything too serious. I spelled it "doodge" on purpose it is pronounced "dodge" but the game is called "doodge" in refrence to one of my favorite abridged series lines of all time "Why... didn't... you... DOODGE!" I guess I probably should be more consistant with that though. I don't expect people to pay for it I just wanted to see and gather data for what the minimum is that people will pay for and this obviously is not it so I will change the price to free. I wasn't saying that the game was better than nothing I was saying the website was better than nothing. I also didn't throw a few things together and call it done it was merely a test to get my feet wet and see what I am truly getting myself into before I totally commit. I know there's no instant gratification in making games I litterally have made 1 game in my life and that is it I am working on another. set to drop in a couple weeks. I will put time into it to learn and to create I put in work sunup to sundown because I know God has blessed me with a gift that you do not see because you are not with me on a daily basis if you saw my process you would see what I mean. I won't take your word for it and I have posted it to other and among the serious MLG types I've gotten criticism but among the not so serious for fun types I've gotten a lot of positive feedback because like I said, this game is not meant to be anything super serious. Do you understand this is my first game why do you expect me to get it right on my first try? That's like asking Odell Beckham Jr. to catch a bullet pass one handed for the first time and not miss like catching a football making games takes practice and like OBJ I'll get better but right now I am just starting out and so catching the ball with on hand is a very difficult request.
Never thirsty!

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:46 pm

You spelled it "dodge" in the itch.io page address, the page title, on your website...everywhere but in the game itself.
If you didn't "expect people to pay for it" and it was "merely a test" then you shouldn't have put a price on it in the first place. There's no data to gather by simply throwing a price on something and letting it sit. If you were serious, you'd ask several people what they'd be willing to pay. If you HAVE been posting elsewhere and receiving feedback, then you should ask them.
As far as the better than nothing thing, you said "it is something at least it's more than a lot of people can say they've done" which boils down to "it's better than nothing." Then again, at the time of that post, your site had a searing red background, so I couldn't really say that it was much to look at either.
You're claiming to have made one "real" game now...but in your starting post, you state "It will be my first real game in that everything else I've created is more like flappy bird or temple run in that you just try to avoid an adversary(weather gorillas or pipes) until they get you and then you can play again or quit." This is basically that. Except there's still more to Flappy Bird and much, much more to Temple Run. And you said that what you uploaded was supposed to be released in October, which suggests that it's supposed to be your "real" game and not just something you had sitting around. So is this it or not? And in viewtopic.php?f=35&t=67084 you said "I'm trying to make a link to my Google drive where my games are stored," implying you have more than one game. So which is it?
We have yet to see any sign that you "put in work sunup to sundown" or that you've made any actual progress. This very basic game you made is the only thing we have ever seen you produce despite your claims that you've started how many stories, or written and recorded how many albums, and so on. If you're working so hard, we should see SOMETHING to prove it...and yet there's virtually nothing.
If you've gotten feedback, then show us. Link to a thread where you've posted your work and received any sort of feedback. Any positives I'd expect should still be telling you to keep working, don't just settle on what you have.
I don't expect you to have some groundbreaking game as a first, but I expect much more than what you posted. You claim to work so much, but this is all you have. This really is what somebody throws together as a quick test on their way to a more fully realized game.

EDIT: Been talking about it with another member over the course of writing this. Thinking it's about time to wrap it up on these threads, personally. Long overdue, but it's not like it was ever particularly hard finding things to call out (and, more importantly, it's not like there was every any real end goal). My points have been more than sufficiently made. Anyway, consider it a win if it makes you feel better, but don't expect things to get better just because I'm out.
Ante Bellum

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Ante Bellum wrote:You spelled it "dodge" in the itch.io page address, the page title, on your website...everywhere but in the game itself.
If you didn't "expect people to pay for it" and it was "merely a test" then you shouldn't have put a price on it in the first place. There's no data to gather by simply throwing a price on something and letting it sit. If you were serious, you'd ask several people what they'd be willing to pay. If you HAVE been posting elsewhere and receiving feedback, then you should ask them.
As far as the better than nothing thing, you said "it is something at least it's more than a lot of people can say they've done" which boils down to "it's better than nothing." Then again, at the time of that post, your site had a searing red background, so I couldn't really say that it was much to look at either.
You're claiming to have made one "real" game now...but in your starting post, you state "It will be my first real game in that everything else I've created is more like flappy bird or temple run in that you just try to avoid an adversary(weather gorillas or pipes) until they get you and then you can play again or quit." This is basically that. Except there's still more to Flappy Bird and much, much more to Temple Run. And you said that what you uploaded was supposed to be released in October, which suggests that it's supposed to be your "real" game and not just something you had sitting around. So is this it or not? And in viewtopic.php?f=35&t=67084 you said "I'm trying to make a link to my Google drive where my games are stored," implying you have more than one game. So which is it?
We have yet to see any sign that you "put in work sunup to sundown" or that you've made any actual progress. This very basic game you made is the only thing we have ever seen you produce despite your claims that you've started how many stories, or written and recorded how many albums, and so on. If you're working so hard, we should see SOMETHING to prove it...and yet there's virtually nothing.
If you've gotten feedback, then show us. Link to a thread where you've posted your work and received any sort of feedback. Any positives I'd expect should still be telling you to keep working, don't just settle on what you have.
I don't expect you to have some groundbreaking game as a first, but I expect much more than what you posted. You claim to work so much, but this is all you have. This really is what somebody throws together as a quick test on their way to a more fully realized game.

EDIT: Been talking about it with another member over the course of writing this. Thinking it's about time to wrap it up on these threads, personally. Long overdue, but it's not like it was ever particularly hard finding things to call out (and, more importantly, it's not like there was every any real end goal). My points have been more than sufficiently made. Anyway, consider it a win if it makes you feel better, but don't expect things to get better just because I'm out.

First I know you're out but I will answer some of your questions. Like said I probably should have kept it consistent but I didn't learning experience. I didn't expect people to pay for it the test was to see if anyone was willing obviously not so back to the drawing board. Did you mean several other people f2f or online BC I am an antisocial butterfly I have since changed the site background to my unofficial logo I probably should have again been consistent and either made the whole site with a red background or gave all pages dark backgrounds again I've changed them to my unofficial logo which isn't very appealing I will admit but it is consistent and the bright red headache inducing background is gone. The game this post was about is my first real game in that it's more resemblant of a AAA game than this one this game was another one of those probably better for mobile type games and the real game still has like 11 months of development to go given I keep my schedule so no that's not it. I was using"games" in a sense of the others to come didn't mean i had like 1200 already. by many stories do you mean manga because I have pretty much gone away from manga because all the good manga ideas I've had I am planning to make video games one day I haven't really been doing music stuff much either this is kinda cliche but after I got rejected from the music school of my dreams I gave up and destroyed all the music I made because I knew I would never be good at it but i got accepted to Shawnee State so we'll see what becomes of game development. If I gave a link 1. I'd have to go so far into my timeline it's ridiculous. 2.you probably just say Facebook doesn't count and on my phone so fb will just crash when I try to grab the link. I have not settled on what I have that was dodge 1.0 I will continue to make updates to it. I work a lot yes but I had to get this done in a week for class. Like I said not fully realized as I gain more knowledge I will build on the foundation to this tower to one day be called Crusader76Games i don't expect things to get better I see a pattern I know what will happen next. Trust me
Never thirsty!

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:24 pm

I've decided to put this project on hold. After some analysis I concluded my current skillset isn't enough to realistically make a game of this caliber so I am going to take a year or two perfect my skills and come back to this I may post when it is done in three years I may not I am not sure yet
Never thirsty!

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Never thirsty! wrote:I've decided to put this project on hold. After some analysis I concluded my current skillset isn't enough to realistically make a game of this caliber so I am going to take a year or two perfect my skills and come back to this I may post when it is done in three years I may not I am not sure yet

The best way to get better would be to continually make games. Look up things like 24/48/whatever-hour game jams, where people make a game from scratch in that time frame - concept, gameplay, art, etc. A lot of indie game makers do that stuff and it's a great way to teach yourself new skills.
Davidizer13

Return to New Projects and Ideas