What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 am

^ I think even just two out of the three would cause the world to end :lol:

Silver Spoon episode 7

I thought the humor was done particularly well in this episode (often, I have trouble with the way anime translates Arakawa-san's humor from the manga - it's like...too slow or something, and makes it less funny to me).

Moribito episode 5

Oooh, some answers! And a bit of background on Balsa! I'm liking this (especially because, having seen bedridden!Balsa with her hair down, I've realized I could actually cosplay her! 8D Far too many anime characters with long, brown hair have slutty outfits -_-).

The Snow Queen episode 2

Do not like the trolls so far - too stupid to be funny - but I'm champing at the bit to get to the actual story of the fairy tale :P I'm really enjoying just the way this story is developing, and looking forward to the plot really getting going.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:10 am

Gankutsuou: The Count Of Monte Cristo episodes 1-24 (sub, complete): This is one of the classics that I'm finally getting around to watching, and it's certainly worthy of that title. One thing to note about the visuals is that the stylization of the art does take a few minutes to get used to (as the characters kind-of move *through* the textures on their clothing/hair/etc.), but once you do it turns out to be not only unique and interesting, but absolutely beautiful, as well. <3 As for the story, well, it's a loose adaptation of The Count Of Monte Cristo, so you ought to know what you're getting into there, LOL; indeed, the show wastes no time dropping you straight into its decadant culture and showcasing its manipulative/manipulated characters. Despite the twisted revenge plot and depressing events, though, there's still just something so compelling about this story; and while this obviously deviated from the original tale in a number of points (not only in terms of plot and focus-character, but even the setting and the Count himself), I thought it was pretty darn good on its own. Also, the message at the end to never hate anyone was quite powerful. This was definitely worth the watch.

Haikyuu!!: Jump Festa 2014 special (a.k.a. Lev Genzan!) OVA (sub): While the main cast was present on occasion, this OVA mostly focused on the Nekoma team as Lev was just getting started; and it was hilarious and adorable, just like the rest of the show. <3 :grin: :hug:

Hotarubi no Mori e movie (sub): As I expected from the original creator + setting + premise, this was basically the equivalent of a rather-bittersweet Natsume's Book Of Friends mini-story (indeed, it's very easy to imagine that it actually *is,* just with Natsume never being involved {aside from the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: kinda-ghost boy looking pretty much exactly like him, LOL :grin: }); and, to be honest, it's actually mostly sweet (I was literally smiling throughout the entire first 35 minutes or so... *after* which I was tearing up pretty fiercely though, LOL, even knowing exactly what was going to happen beforehand... :sweat: ) Despite the tears, this was a beautiful movie, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it (especially to Natsume... fans-- which should be everybody anyway, right? :thumb: ).
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Sundown » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I just finished Kuragehime / Princess Jellyfish this evening - a bit short and left some situations unresolved, but overall it was an enjoyable series! There was quite a few times I laughed out loud.

i'm still mad that kuranoske looks better in a dress than i do, though

I'm also watching Magical Angel Creamy Mami - currently on episode 10.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:51 am

Just finished rewatching one of my many favorites: Tamako Market, followed by its movie Tamako Love Story, on BD! Oh man, what a great movie; possibly my favorite film of its genre. If you haven't gotten the chance to watch it and understand enough Japanese to get something out of anime movie with no English subtitles then you should definitely get a hold of this. Not even an hour and a half, but it's as long as it needs to be.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:51 am

Silver Spoon episode 8

I'm never sure if they're making up new stuff for the anime, or if I just can't remember that far back in the manga :lol:

Moribito episode 6

OMG THAT WOLF IS HUGE :wow!: After this and Princess Mononoke, I'm starting to wonder if Japanese wolves come from some kind of gigantic mutant strain :lol: Also, the prince looks much better this way :P
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Animeniac » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm Watching Morbitio guardian of the spirit
Phillippians 4:8 KJV

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain anything without sacrificing something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own...you will gain an irreplaceable fullmetal heart -Hiromu Arakawa

I'm going to fight my hardest....I don't want anyone else to die! -Kirito

"Never break the circle....the circle is what binds us together as one as brothers and sisters...you are my bride...you are beautiful"-Elyon (God) on The Circle series By Ted Dekker

Animeniac

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime season 2, episode 1 &2 (ep 13 & 14 overall)

I'm such a dummy. XD Just noticed a couple of days ago that it started airing. At least that means me and my bro have some catching up to do on it. ^^ (I also missed the Free! Starting Days movie... gotta find it.)
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Little Busters. Everyone is so mean to Masato.

Mullet Death

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Little Busters is really good, I need to re-watch that. iie, iie, iie, Narcolepsy. :]
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:28 am

Rusty Claymore wrote:Little Busters is really good, I need to re-watch that. iie, iie, iie, Narcolepsy. :]

It has been quite wonderful so far (I'm watching episode 12). In addition to some occasional fan service which usually wasn't so bad (I agree with the 14+ rating the Sentai Filmworks release received for the most part), if I had anything else major to complain about, it would be the pacing of the emotional recovery of a certain character (I won't go into spoilerifc details). It seemed a little too rushed for issues which seemed like they would take years of professional therapy (with lots of love and support from family and the friendship of the Little Busters) to recover from. Apart from that, it's been funny, cute, and heart-wrenching at times. Glad I bought it. Hopefully, the next few seasons don't somehow do a 180 and the rest of the show gets really dark really fast... I would not be able to handle that.

Mullet Death

Postby Animeniac » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm watching seven deadly sins on Netflix...other than the pervyness of the main character.....The princess has nice legs :pikka:
Phillippians 4:8 KJV

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain anything without sacrificing something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own...you will gain an irreplaceable fullmetal heart -Hiromu Arakawa

I'm going to fight my hardest....I don't want anyone else to die! -Kirito

"Never break the circle....the circle is what binds us together as one as brothers and sisters...you are my bride...you are beautiful"-Elyon (God) on The Circle series By Ted Dekker

Animeniac

Postby Rusty Claymore » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Mullet Death wrote:It has been quite wonderful so far (I'm watching episode 12). In addition to some occasional fan service which usually wasn't so bad (I agree with the 14+ rating the Sentai Filmworks release received for the most part), if I had anything else major to complain about, it would be the pacing of the emotional recovery of a certain character (I won't go into spoilerifc details). It seemed a little too rushed for issues which seemed like they would take years of professional therapy (with lots of love and support from family and the friendship of the Little Busters) to recover from. Apart from that, it's been funny, cute, and heart-wrenching at times. Glad I bought it. Hopefully, the next few seasons don't somehow do a 180 and the rest of the show gets really dark really fast... I would not be able to handle that.

You aren't allowed to quit until after Little Busters: Refrain.
Rusty Claymore

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 am

Animeniac wrote:I'm Watching Morbitio guardian of the spirit

High five! :jump:

Jyo-Oh-Sei episode 6

So we're finally getting to the real plot (at least, I'm assuming this is where they were leading all this time XD). I was actually a little surprised/disappointed to find out that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the Top of Blanc Ring is Zagi. I mean, who cares about Zagi?! Who even remembers him from like one episode in the beginning?! :stressed: As cliche as it might be, I was actually expecting/hoping it would be Rai. Somehow, he survived the plants and rose to the top of Blanc Ring, fueled by a desire for revenge against the brother who abandoned him.... There could then be a much more personal conflict, lots of lovely angst and guilt, and maybe at the end some kind of reconciliation between the brothers. But...I don't care about Zagi. *sigh* Now I'm just keeping my ears open for Romi Paku to show up in each episode, because she's pretty much the only reason I'm continuing to watch this :/

Silver Spoon episode 9

I love how Hachiken's honesty and earnestness just draws everyone together unintentionally. A natural leader, he is.

The Snow Queen episode 3

Oooh, now the real plot starts! I'm really struggling to understand the Snow Queen's motivations, but I expect they'll become clearer over time. Also, now I know who the narrator is....

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:44 am

Since finishing Little Busters: Refrain, which I won't talk about much because major spoilers!, I've been rewatching the first Non Non Biyori season after taking it out of the plastic. I needed the pick-me-up this series offers by its very nature. Life is stressful during the semester. My favorite episode just played last night, 初日の出を見た or We Watched the First Sunrise of the Year. If there's an anime episode that subtly, artistically depicts everything I want out of life, I think this is it. I'll leave it up to you to interpret why. It truly is a beautiful episode.

Mullet Death

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 am

Jyu-Oh-Sei episode 7

Seriously, what? SPOILER: Highlight text to read: What's so dangerous about Zagi and Thor that they're such a bad influence on each other? I don't get their Seconds' concern. I also don't get why Thor says it's "inconceivable" for him to have Tiz's children. I mean, he then goes on to say that he loves her, so what's the problem? *is frustrated and confused, but loving every moment of Romi Paku*

Silver Spoon episode 10

I really liked this one. I remember really liking this part of the manga too, and I think they did a great job of adapting it. And I'd forgotten about the little misunderstanding about Hachiken and Yoshino. Trust Tokiwa to mess things up.... :lol: Ah, poor Mikage.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit episodes 7-8

This anime keeps on surprising me at how slow and soft it is, even though it's also got such awesome, exciting fight scenes. I'm sure it's all going to blow up sooner or later, but I'm really enjoying how they're taking the time to develop the characters. I also love how mysterious they're being about Balsa's past, and how slowly and organically they're revealing things about her. In a normal anime, I'd have expected to jump into the extended flashback of her entire childhood by now. And I won't be surprised or disappointed if they start one up, but I think it's kind of cool how long they're holding off. This way, we can find out who she is and what we like about her now, rather than just getting the easy route to sympathy by showing the pains of her past.

The Snow Queen episode 4

And thus begins the epic quest! I'm really looking forward to how this will all turn out. I've always loved the desperate determination and resolve in Gerda's quest in the original fairy tale, and the anime is shaping up to be just as inspiring.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Since finishing Little Busters: Refrain...

Woah, that was fast. So... thumbs up, thumbs down?
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Rusty Claymore wrote:
Mullet Death wrote:Since finishing Little Busters: Refrain...

Woah, that was fast. So... thumbs up, thumbs down?

Definite thumbs up. :) That said, I'm not entirely sure if I'm upset over the fact that (major spoilers about the ending and fate of characters here people, I can't really explain how I feel about it otherwise, you've been warned!) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: everything was just magically fine and everyone, whom we had become so emotionally wrapped up in and considered gone, survived. They had leaned toward a tragic ending the entire time where only Rin and Riki would remain, but again, everything ended up working out. Some of the ways that was handled seemed like it could have been written better, somehow. But my misgivings about that are overwhelming drowned out by how happy I am that we did in fact get a slightly cheesy happy ending. I think I largely agree with this quote from Durarara: "I love clichés, I love predictable scripts, I love it when they paste over problems and I love it when they force a happy ending too. What's wrong with working towards that?" Besides, if Komari-chan or Masato in particular hadn't made it, I would have been devastated. I almost couldn't comprehend how Masato had known about Kyousuke's plans all along, but had played along pretending to be the lovable buffoon to continue to be there for everyone. What a man among men, definitely my favorite character. And Komari ties with him... what a genuine sweetheart in every way, and her struggles were heart-wrenching. So yeah, fantastic cast of characters and corresponding voice talent, great animation, only a little bit of troubling content like fan service here and there, and a happy ending that had quite a bit of finality at the end of the final episode. Despite my mentioned misgivings, I'm quite satisfied.

Mullet Death

Postby NekoNinja16 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:24 am

I started watching Nijiro Days, and while I like it and it's cute, I have a few problems with it... for one thing, one of the main guys is a sadist (and not as lightly as in something like Bamboo Blade, where a girl just liked hitting people. This guy pulls out a whip all the time) and a girl claims to be in love with another girl. I really like the fact that this is a shoujo and it stars a guy, and I like some of the characters a lot, but those two are a bit odd... Idk. I've seen stuff like this before, technically, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But that girl irritates the heck outta me. -_-'"

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

NekoNinja16

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Started watching the short anime about the dog Muco (or rather, ムーコ) and despite the apparent extremely low animation budget it looks to be pretty cute. Dogs are much better companions than cats.

Also watching the shoujo-demographic romcom Lovely Complex. Really great so far.

Mullet Death

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:38 am

Love*Com is awesome :thumb: And hilarious. One of the few shoujos I actually enjoy.

Jyu-Oh-Sei episode 8

Okay, I guess they answered my questions. But that was still unnecessarily confusing, if you ask me :/ I don't really like these developments; they came out of nowhere.

Silver Spoon episode 11

Yay, finished the first season! Looking forward to the next bit.

The Snow Queen episode 5

I'm expecting a lot of little stand-alone episodes from now on. Hopefully that dude won't come back, though; he was annoying -_-

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:35 am

Nijiro Days, episode 7. Mandatory beach episode, and a peek at the new girl. I still really hate that brat that hangs around Anna... and I so love the otaku couple. XD They're adorable. (also the guy is one of my favorite types of character. Quiet, and indoors-y XD)

NekoNinja16

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Finally finished up Kyokai no Rin-ne. This is a show that's hard to evaluate for me. On the one hand, I enjoyed almost every episode. It was funny and sometimes sweet. And there were a few things about the show that I really loved, such as the narrator. But, on the other hand, it never ever "hooked" me. What I usually want in an anime is something --plot or characters or writing quality-- that makes me feel like I *have* to keep watching. And that was the one thing lacking with this.

That said, it was good, even if it wasn't great, and I plan on watching the second season when it airs.
Mouse2010

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 pm

Yakitatte!! An older show recently added on Crunchy about making bread. For Sixty-Nine episodes. I was hooked by the premise (which is totally reliant upon a pun) and between more puns and random call outs (those, "Hey, I know that!" moments) it kept my folks and I laughing. Only three episodes in, but will be keeping with it.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:13 am

Finished up The Heroic Legend of Arslan. I don't have time to go into everything that this anime did wrong, but I will say SPOILER: Highlight text to read: if you wanna watch a show that kills absolutely every ounce of suspense or drama, watch this one. Arslan and his band of goodie goodies win EVERY single battle they're in, and its not even a struggle for them. They literally always win with ease. I'm sorry, but by the middle of the show, I caught on to this and it became more and more painful to watch. I like to see the good guys struggle to achieve their goals, not get them handed to them on silver platters. 5/10

I've recently started watching Wolf's Rain, and its off to a really good start. I'm on episode 6.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Kaori » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:42 am

Thunderscream872 wrote:Finished up The Heroic Legend of Arslan. I don't have time to go into everything that this anime did wrong, but I will say SPOILER: Highlight text to read: if you wanna watch a show that kills absolutely every ounce of suspense or drama, watch this one. Arslan and his band of goodie goodies win EVERY single battle they're in, and its not even a struggle for them. They literally always win with ease. I'm sorry, but by the middle of the show, I caught on to this and it became more and more painful to watch. I like to see the good guys struggle to achieve their goals, not get them handed to them on silver platters. 5/10

The old one or the new one?
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:54 am

Kaori wrote:The old one or the new one?

The new one. It really is a shame. I had high hopes for it, cause it looked different than your standard school/harem type anime that the market gets flooded with every season. I've never seen the old one.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby NekoNinja16 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:31 pm

Still rewatching Ouran(next is ep. 19, yaaay...), and I need to see the latest episode of Nijiro Days and AnS, but I just watched the Aoharu x Kikanjuu special, Battlefield of Beasts. XD SO funny, I've been wanted to check it since I heard about it, just remembered earlier and searched for it. I really did like AxK, and I still do want it to get a second season somehow, despite the pervy references, which the special had some too btw (ofc). And I will forever ship Hotaru (she's adorable to me) and Masamune! (he's just awesome lol)

NekoNinja16

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:17 am

Jyu-Oh-Sei episode 9

Ah, this was the stray episode I saw that got me interested in this anime in the first place. Yeah, I can see why this would make the show look more interesting than it actually is :shady: Still, I don't regret getting to hear another Romi Paku role.

Silver Spoon episodes 12-13

I always love the antics of the Ezo students ^_^

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit episodes 9-10

I'm repeatedly amazed at how blithely the main characters walk around this town and use each other's real names, like there's no possibility anyone would overhear and recognize them. Sheesh, at least give Chagum an alias! He's the freaking prince, for crying out loud! :bang:

The Snow Queen episodes 6-8

More little adventures along the way. I absolutely can't figure out the Snow Queen's motives. I'm also growing a little frustrated that the wolf hasn't shown up, even though he's all over the ending theme :lol:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Been watching AKB0048 slowly but surely. It's cute and quite clean, if a bit odd at times. You have to just go along with the silly story of idols (the singing kind, not the violation of the Ten Commandments kind) being outlawed and mech police attacking and our beloved space song & dance girls fighting back. Or at least, that's what I can gather about the show's setting. I'm watching it with the subtitles off, and it's actually pretty difficult to understand.

Mullet Death

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:28 am

I have the greatest respect for anyone who actually has the patience to sit all the way through Jyu-Oh-Sei. So much disappointment from that series.

I wish I had time for anime!! I did, however, finish Charlotte recently. I really, really liked that one. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: But of course, my favorite character died. As always. Started to watch DurararaX2 with my sister while she was visiting me, but only got a few episodes in, and if I watch it without her she'll kill me. So I'll have to wait till summer break for that one. Oh, how I missed this show.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews