What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby LecktheTech » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Tomorrow I plan to watch the last episode of Haibane Renmei, and start Girls und Panzer
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Postby Cat96 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:11 pm

169 of One Piece. Man, this show takes forever to watch. My goal for Christmas Break is to finish episode 208. Man, that will be a lot of One Piece in a short amount of time. -_-
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Mouse2010 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:54 am

Finished Noragami Aragato. I gave this season a 10/10, because I think it was even stronger than the first season.

That said, I admit that I have a few quibbles. I feel like Hiyori was significantly underused for much of the season. Don't get me wrong; she still has a lot of plot significance. But I feel like she's becoming less of a fighter and more of a standard love interest. One of the things I had loved about the first season was that it had such a strong female lead. I liked that Hiyori was badass in her half-phantom form. And we saw a lot less of the kick-ass Hiyori this season.

Still, this is one of my favorite animes of all time. Season 3, please? Pretty please? :-) I love the manga, but I'm an animation fan at heart, and I'd love to see more of this show.
Mouse2010

Postby Cat96 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:12 pm

One Piece episode 198. Yup, I actually watched that much since Saturday. I have no life. -_-
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:12 am

Watching Tsuritama, among other things. It's wonderfully weird.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:24 pm

I recently marathoned Trigun with a friend who hadn't seen it. That show never gets old ^_^
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Watching Tsuritama, among other things. It's wonderfully weird.

Yay! One of my favorites! I didn't believe Enoshima was a real place, but Mum looked it up online and found it. So when I was in the area, I took a 5 hour, multi-train type journey from Tohoku to the Tokyo area, where I spent 4 hours in Enoshima before making the trip back. Anyways, glad you enjoy it. Has my favorite highschool transfer student intro ever: "I may be 27, but I hope we can still be friends."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Xeno » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:13 am

Currently on deck:
After War Gundam X
Ergo Proxy
Great Teacher Onizuka
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt

And then I've got a ton of stuff in my "plan to watch" area on MAL, which I've discovered I have to use to keep track of what I'm watching because my late-20's brain doesn't want to work for this anymore.
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Your late-20's brain is trying to save you.
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:33 pm

It's trying, but it can't save me.
Xeno

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:39 am

Durarara!! 16-25
Durarara!!x2 Shou 1- 7 9
artisticDreamer

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:58 pm

A certain friend tricked me into thinking This Boy Caught a Merman was a comedy short, while it's in fact an OVA for a straight-up yaoi story, complete with manly merman Isaki dramatically kissing girly boy "Shi-chan" and them confessing their love and speaking without honorifics. 2/5 I will get my friend back for this. EDIT: Evidently, I had this confused with another one that isn't a yaoi romance OVA, and that was what my friend recommended.

Before that I watched Nyan Koi, a typical lighthearted harem romcom with a few twists and plenty of its fair share of laughs and enjoyable characters. It's similar to the more recent harem romcom Nisekoi. There's enjoyment to be had, but as per the usual with this genre, don't expect any resolution given the manga's ongoing status.

And now I'll be watching And Yet the Town Moves. I doubt it will live up to the manga given its 2010 release (the manga's apparently ongoing) but I'm sure I'll love it anyway.
Last edited by Mullet Death on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:03 pm

I've been watching Hunter x Hunter. It's not bad, but it's not great. I'm up to episode 10.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Rusty Claymore » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:50 am

Mullet Death wrote: I will get my friend back for this.

Is that the one where the mer-dude is in the tub? Crunchy described it as a comedy-short, but I've never worked up the nerve to check. Thank you for your sacrifice. >_<
skreyola wrote:I've been watching Hunter x Hunter. It's not bad, but it's not great. I'm up to episode 10.

I liked a lot of Hunter x Hunter, but I got burned out by the Shonen style. Casual death is an automatic -.5 points from any show for me, so that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:34 pm

I take back what I said, what I watched was a completely different show about a handsome merman and a boy, apparently. What you're talking about and what this friend was talking about was Orenchi no Furo Jijo. I'm an idiot. >_<

Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:12 pm

You still owe your friend a revenge. Merman in my Tub is not funny and fairly suggestive. I didn't get very far into it before I dropped it.

I can give HxH a pass on a lot of the death, what shows that the hunter exam is extremely dangerous, but yeah, there is a lot of casual killing.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:34 am

skreyola wrote:You still owe your friend a revenge. Merman in my Tub is not funny and fairly suggestive. I didn't get very far into it before I dropped it.

I can give HxH a pass on a lot of the death, what shows that the hunter exam is extremely dangerous, but yeah, there is a lot of casual killing.

Good to know about the both shows. I suppose it should be fairly obvious that shows about mer-dudes with male leads just are no. After Muromi I should probably just make all mermaids a no-go, but I want to find out about My Bride is a Mermaid first.

You jogged my memory, skreyola. What I mean by casual death is when a person's final moments get no reaction from anyone, esp. the good guys, especially when it's gruesome or pitifully unfair. Now that I remember, the hunter exam wasn't like that. I'll have to try HxH again.
Rusty Claymore

Postby artisticDreamer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Durarara!!x2 Shou 10-12 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAaAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAA IZAYA NO
artisticDreamer

Postby skreyola » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Rusty Claymore wrote:
skreyola wrote:You still owe your friend a revenge. Merman in my Tub is not funny and fairly suggestive. I didn't get very far into it before I dropped it.

Good to know about the both shows. I suppose it should be fairly obvious that shows about mer-dudes with male leads just are no. After Muromi I should probably just make all mermaids a no-go, but I want to find out about My Bride is a Mermaid first.

You jogged my memory, skreyola. What I mean by casual death is when a person's final moments get no reaction from anyone, esp. the good guys, especially when it's gruesome or pitifully unfair. Now that I remember, the hunter exam wasn't like that. I'll have to try HxH again.

Yeah, good luck. While I didn't find anything in My Bride is a Mermaid particularly dirty, the bits with the father (especially after the location shift) just got on my nerves. But YMMV, so give it a whirl, I guess.

Oh. No, I don't remember anything so far where a person died horribly without any reaction from the other people. Those that have been like, "wow, that guy just murdered the other guy" have been pretty much all one-on-one scenes, so there was nobody to react. And as mentioned, there've been times where the danger inherent in the situation have caught up to people... and sometimes those don't get any reaction, but the others are often rather preoccupied with their own survival, and everyone knows going in that this is incredibly dangerous... like hunting down dinosaurs. When someone gets eaten, you can kind of think, "That is what they signed up for, even though they hoped they'd make it out alive." And while that's harsh, these people had to jump through 37 hoops just to get in on this carnage, so it's hard to feel too broken up about them. It helps that none of it's real, I guess. Anyway, death and mayhem aside, the show is very well put together, very clever, and fairly enjoyable all around.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 pm

I've been watching Peacemaker Kurogane. I wasn't going to, since MAL rated it R for violence and profanity, but went ahead and checked it out. (dub first, though only the first four episodes are dubbed) First episode was pretty bad with violence, but past that there hasn't been too much. episode for ticked me off though, and I stopped that episode halfway though because it's crap. I hate their Saito Hajime, he's some kinda SPOILER: Highlight text to read: psychic/medium and that's NOT okay. Continued anyway since most shows would often have a bad episode or two, and now I'm at like 8, haha. I'm mostly here for Okita, but it's pretty funny, and though language is common, it's not bad enough to be rated R for that, that would just be one of MAL's default descriptions for R. So I'm taking it one episode at a time I guess. Of course, I found the show and wanted to watch it because or RK, which is my favorite (and also the reason why I can handle some more violence than I used to), and more Shinsengumi/Bakumatsu/Meiji Era stuff is fun. One thing I really dislike is their tendency to use the term 'demon'... (now, it doesn't have actual demons, it's just sometimes what will be said of a character because he kills so easily or is so harsh). Idk. One episode at a time...
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Up to episode 17 Macross Frontier. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Alto and Ranka better end up together or else I'm gonna be really disappointed. At very least, Alto and Sheryl better NOT end up together. Not really a fan of them as a couple.. The show as a whole is pretty good, but kinda weird.

Episode 2 of Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day. I can tell already that this one is gonna be sad, so I'm not watching this during my free time at my job for obvious reasons, lol.

Episode 17 of IGPx. Still really enjoy it.

Episode 4 of Speed Grapher. Pretty good show so far. Allot darker than most of the anime I've watched lately.

Finished Watamote. Um, interesting show, lol. Even though its hilarious, I can't say I completely enjoyed this one. Even though Tomoko is incredibly selfish and brings most of her problems onto herself, I couldn't help but feel sorry for her, and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: by the end of the show, seeing her fail over and over again to get any sort of attention from her fellow classmates just got depressing. I feel like there were a few moments of hope for poor Tomoko throughout the show, but in the end, there really isn't that much of a payoff, and it feels allot like a slap in the face to the viewer, lol. I enjoyed it overall. 7/10.

My favorite character from Watamote was Yuu Naruse.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:
Episode 2 of Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day. I can tell already that this one is gonna be sad, so I'm not watching this during my free time at my job for obvious reasons, lol.

Oh, you just wait! If you aren't crying yet, you will be! But seriously, it's a great show.

As for me, I just got a copy of the long-awaited US release of Library War. Watched episodes 1 & 2, and I like it a lot. I had read a couple of volumes of the manga version, but I think the anime is funnier.
Mouse2010

Postby skreyola » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 pm

AnoHana will make you cry, for sure, but in a good way. It's so sweet.
Not like other shows I could mention that just rip your heart out and stomp on it.
No, AnoHana will make you cry, but you'll finish the show with a big smile on your face, too.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:10 am

Durarara!!x2 Ten 1-12 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: They really like to end it with Izaya getting hurt, don't they?
artisticDreamer

Postby John_Smith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 am

I’ve been watching Soul Eater. The show’s ‘humor’ drives me nuts, but at episode 33, it’s been getting consistently better.
John_Smith

Postby LecktheTech » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 am

John_Smith wrote:I’ve been watching Soul Eater. The show’s ‘humor’ drives me nuts, but at episode 33, it’s been getting consistently better.

It gets better the longer it goes.
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Watching ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト (Sound of the Sky) on DVD. I'm liking it so far and I can tell I'm going to love it the more I watch. Likeable characters and a soothing but mysterious atmosphere. But I have so many questions about this weird setting that I'm guessing will go largely unanswered by the end of the anime given its slice of life nature.

Watched Love Lab on BD before that, a fantastic comedy that at the end even made me cry a little because of spoilers. It's genuinely funny, cute, and has a lot of heart. Loved every minute of it. Would rewatch in a heartbeat.

Before that it was あっちこっち or Here and There on BD. Loved it too. Cute everywhere. Was not expecting my favourite character to be Mayoi but she is just so funny and cute. Was kind of weird that she never once showed her eyes.

I also started watching 教え!ギャル子ちゃん! on the side, the short airing this season. I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone... In the two short episodes it's had so far, the characters talked about breast size, nipple size, tampons vs pads and if that relates to virginity, whether or not ギャル子 herself was pooping when she spent five minutes in the bathroom, the color of panties, and a whole bunch of other inappropriate stuff. A really classy show, amirite? (Though let's be honest-- that's probably the sort of thing real teenage girls talk about.) It's a shame, because I was foolish enough to believe they would actually do something with the premise-- a regular slice of life title with these three very different girls that seem like their personalities would conflict including one who's a ギャル, but they actually get along and have fun? That sounds like a good show to me.

Mullet Death

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:44 am

So, ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト Episode 7 said something rather sad. One of the characters said there is no inherent meaning in this world, or of going on in it-- but that that is wonderful, as you can find your own. (Incidentally, her reason for going on was so that the younger girls would not have to suffer as she did). Did not expect such a disagreeable worldview to be so explicitly expressed in a show like this. It was a poignant reminder that this art form is written mostly by a people who are so very lost. The inherent meaning of this world is love-- to love, be loved, be enamored with love. To love Love. But, sadly, one cannot expect this culture to know that. It impacted my view of the show a little and depressed me quite a bit, especially since I'm not exactly the type who can share the Gospel in words.

EDIT: So, having watched all of it, I can say that Sound of the Sky had a happy ending, so that's good I guess? The whole anime felt like such an odd mashup of cultures and it's kind of odd. its world is fascinating, part of its oddness is odd in a good way, and its characters are loveable. But I'm left not knowing how to feel about everything that transpired or didn't transpire. There were those things I was talking about now and again and what seemed like the occasional jab at monotheistic religion but all in all it seemed like a hopeful story. Then there was the fact that the song that inspired everyone was the tune of Amazing Grace played (quite beautifully, mind you) by trumpet. The writers know the Christian significance of that song, right? Why Amazing Grace? And then the OVA at the end was inspiring and implied many great adventures that could be had after this story, and it made me want more. whatamisupposedtofeel.jpg

So, 4/5 I think? I THINK I like it?

Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Watching ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト (Sound of the Sky) on DVD. I'm liking it so far and I can tell I'm going to love it the more I watch. Likeable characters and a soothing but mysterious atmosphere. But I have so many questions about this weird setting that I'm guessing will go largely unanswered by the end of the anime given its slice of life nature.

Watched Love Lab on BD before that, a fantastic comedy that at the end even made me cry a little because of spoilers. It's genuinely funny, cute, and has a lot of heart. Loved every minute of it. Would rewatch in a heartbeat.

Before that it was あっちこっち or Here and There on BD. Loved it too. Cute everywhere. Was not expecting my favourite character to be Mayoi but she is just so funny and cute. Was kind of weird that she never once showed her eyes.

I also started watching 教え!ギャル子ちゃん! on the side, the short airing this season. I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone... In the two short episodes it's had so far, the characters talked about breast size, nipple size, tampons vs pads and if that relates to virginity, whether or not ギャル子 herself was pooping when she spent five minutes in the bathroom, the color of panties, and a whole bunch of other inappropriate stuff. A really classy show, amirite? (Though let's be honest-- that's probably the sort of thing real teenage girls talk about.) It's a shame, because I was foolish enough to believe they would actually do something with the premise-- a regular slice of life title with these three very different girls that seem like their personalities would conflict including one who's a ギャル, but they actually get along and have fun? That sounds like a good show to me.

I have actually watched all of those shows (though I lasted only a couple of minutes of the first episode of that last one before dropping it like a hot potato).

Sora no Woto is a wonderful show, and a lot of the questions you have will probably never be answered. But a surprising number of them are. It gets into some depth, if you're paying close enough attention to what they say.

Love Lab is a quirky show, and it's also a great watch, if you can get over the slight awkwardness of the premise and the one character's obsession. :)

Acchi Kocchi is all around awesome. I would have shared it with my mom if it wouldn't have meant trying to explain geyser nosebleeds. That is the main thing about the show that would be objectionable, and it's really minor. In all other ways, a really great show. Very sweet.

The last one... I said all I can about that.

Me? I've been watching Hunter x Hunter, mostly, except for the new seasonals.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:20 am

Code Geass ep. 1-2 3 4
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu ep 2
If Izaya, Lelouch, and Light ever teamed up, the world would end.
artisticDreamer

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews